Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,607 comments
<disclaimer> I may have lost my mind <close disclaimer>

IMPORTANT/URGENT/SEND HELP

Guys I’ve just had a revelation at Grand Valley; having one final session I thought why not treat myself to an attempt with my •other• X2019, the 25th Anniversary which I’ve barely driven.

Absolute shocker, it felt like a completely different car and the first corner was absolutely dreamy and even with massive oversteer at the right downhill hairpin I still set a first sector PB ON MY FIRST ATTEMPT! Over the moon I went to slap on a nice custom colour scheme and then get lapping.

So I fire up a ghost and once again find myself losing time at every turn, the feedback from the steering wheel gone again, felt just like the X2019 Competition I’ve been cursing. So what’s the deal?

Frustrated and now with two cars with custom paint jobs I decided to use a rental. The only option is the X2019 Competition so back to that… well what do you know, it feels better again! Just like it did at Road Atlanta! I did two laps and BOTH were PBs, by over a tenth of a second!

So WHAT is going on, am I actually losing my mind!?? Or have I stumbled on a really really weird glitch. To me it feels like when I have my own paint scheme on the car it felt like I was losing out every corner, like the ghost I was chasing had more grip everywhere. Well, is it possible putting in a custom paint scheme has somehow managed to default the actual tyre model of the car to Racing Hard or Racing Medium somehow? Because thats exactly what it feels like to me! Absolutely mad if it’s true, if anyone could test this theory it would be much appreciated. Only 7 hours left sadly if this is a revelation that might make a difference to a lot of people!!

^Placebo is one hell of a drug.

Last edited:
^Placebo is one hell of a drug.
I wish it was placebo, I’d take that thing every day and become a monster!

So I’ve had mixed results since this revelation/mental breakdown; sometimes I have the good physics and sometimes not and it feels like I’m losing my mind. I’ve got a feeling it’s got something to do with resetting maybe like that tyre sound glitch; my first laps when entering the trial it’s perfect and then at some point it goes back to being a wheelspinny understeering feedbackless coffin of terror

So yeah maybe resetting when on the sand/off track is what’s causing the car to be like this (as a person who spends most of his life in gt7 resetting this makes sense..!)

Edit: IT IS DEFINITELY THE RESET! Where it happens I’m not sure but I’m guessing off track like the tyre sound glitch that we had recently, just did five laps consecutively and setting PBs everywhere

God I wish I’d noticed this sooner. I did wonder why jump on, set some flying laps and then suddenly ‘forget’ how to drive the car after a few laps 😂😂

Last edited:
I only had access to the rental so can’t compare @Dan_Tes , but resets were certainly the way forward for me at Watkins. I think you may be onto something…

EDIT: I’m 199th in the RedBull right now after slipping down the order since Saturday, so if everyone could just stop driving and move along it would be much appreciated 😅

Last edited:
I only had access to the rental so can’t compare @Dan_Tes , but resets were certainly the way forward for me at Watkins. I think you may be onto something…

EDIT: I’m 199th in the RedBull right now after slipping down the order since Saturday, so if everyone could just stop driving and move along it would be much appreciated 😅
I’m still not sure Jon, I’m also tired and a little bit drunk on Rum but the trick was to return to the menu each time rather than do lots of laps or retry button. Every ‘first’ lap the car gripped really well. I improved by over half a second once I figured this out! 🥸

IMG_9057.jpeg
IMG_9058.jpeg
IMG_9056.jpeg

No Stockholm syndrome here, it’s still a hateful trial but I’m far more at peace with it now I figured out (roughly) what was going wrong!

Interesting… so if it’s different from plain resets, then it’s not a tire temp model impact (unless there’s a modeling error), as it should return to “room temp” after each reset.

EDIT: just saw your lap time Dan! Epic mate 🔥

Last edited:
Every ‘first’ lap the car gripped really well. I improved by over half a second once I figured this out! 🥸

This was what I experienced back with the GT-ONE Fuji TT, and there was another one not so long ago (can remember which one) but every first lap was flying, second lap just deastic understeer.

I only drove my 25th Anniversary RB at GV for this weeks trial and mine seemed to get better if I didn't reset 🤷🏻‍♂️ it's wierd.

Guys I’ve just had a revelation at Grand Valley; having one final session I thought why not treat myself to an attempt with my •other• X2019, the 25th Anniversary which I’ve barely driven.

Absolute shocker, it felt like a completely different car and the first corner was absolutely dreamy and even with massive oversteer at the right downhill hairpin I still set a first sector PB ON MY FIRST ATTEMPT! Over the moon I went to slap on a nice custom colour scheme and then get lapping.

So I fire up a ghost and once again find myself losing time at every turn, the feedback from the steering wheel gone again, felt just like the X2019 Competition I’ve been cursing. So what’s the deal?

Frustrated and now with two cars with custom paint jobs I decided to use a rental. The only option is the X2019 Competition so back to that… well what do you know, it feels better again! Just like it did at Road Atlanta! I did two laps and BOTH were PBs, by over a tenth of a second!

So WHAT is going on, am I actually losing my mind!?? Or have I stumbled on a really really weird glitch. To me it feels like when I have my own paint scheme on the car it felt like I was losing out every corner, like the ghost I was chasing had more grip everywhere. Well, is it possible putting in a custom paint scheme has somehow managed to default the actual tyre model of the car to Racing Hard or Racing Medium somehow? Because thats exactly what it feels like to me! Absolutely mad if it’s true, if anyone could test this theory it would be much appreciated. Only 7 hours left sadly if this is a revelation that might make a difference to a lot of people!!
I set my gold time in a custom painted standard version (not anniversary) on the first day I tried this TT. Since then I've done maybe another 400 miles and have not come close to that time. Half in that same car and half in a rental.

So from where I'm standing, yes, you are losing your mind.

I noticed something weird... my freaking brake was on the whole time! No wonder it was so difficult!

Not sure if it's bug in the FW on my wheel or my load cell is failing on CSL Elite V2 pedals but it kept creeping up to 1 to 3% and jumping around even when my foot was off of it.

Ended up plugging wheel back into PC and then resetting calibration and setting calibration to automatic instead of manual. I thought it was fixed but it wasn't doing that on my PC even before I reset the calibration.

Plugged it back into PS5 and then it started doing it again after a few laps. I couldn't see it while I was driving in VR of course but I sure felt it.

I couldn't figure out why V Gallo's ghost was walking me on the straights at Grand Valley even more than normal and even when I felt like I had a good lap it was over a second off what I thought it should be. Ended up setting the lower calibration in GT7 to 2.0% and it finally quit doing it but it was still registering invisible blips of brakes every few seconds on the calibration screen and resetting the upper limit as if I had pressed the brakes even when I had the lower limit up to 89%, so it's definitely messed up. Going to have to report that to Fanatec and see what they say. I actually hope it's just my load cell failing and not a bug in FW.

After that I finally got into a good rhythm and got a 1:26.8xx optimal and 1:27.3xx lap in one session with no TC and weak CSA.

Then after that turned off CSA and TC and golded it with a 1:27.1xx after 246 miles and several sessions. Not that fast in the grand scheme of things but I'm still pretty proud of that lap! Maybe I'll upload a vid. I did share replay on PSN - hashtag X2019, grandvalley, timetrial

Gran Turismo® 7_20241002234651.jpg

Gran Turismo® 7_20241002234616.jpg

Session with my best optimal.
Gran Turismo® 7_20241002230701.jpg

That's without foot on brake after a few laps. LOL Driving me nuts!
Gran Turismo® 7_20241002204256.jpg

Not sure why but I really like this car and track combo, always have, it's epic in VR.
Wish I had more time to get into the 1:26 range now after all that.
Gran Turismo® 7_20241002235318.jpg

Maybe you were running IM tyres?

Edit: joke aside. Would be interesting to know your tyre temps. There's a good chance the tyres were overheated, since that behaviour has changed quite a bit since the last physics. But it's weird it happened only to one specific car and the retry issue you posted sounds like an odd bug.

Last edited:
I’m still not sure Jon, I’m also tired and a little bit drunk on Rum but the trick was to return to the menu each time rather than do lots of laps or retry button. Every ‘first’ lap the car gripped really well. I improved by over half a second once I figured this out! 🥸

View attachment 1393897View attachment 1393898View attachment 1393899

No Stockholm syndrome here, it’s still a hateful trial but I’m far more at peace with it now I figured out (roughly) what was going wrong!
Very strange... so very first lap when you enter the challenge, right? not the first lap after restart? .... wasn't it the opposite on Glenn where one need to run at least two laps to get up tire temperature ? what is going on ?? and now we have some again Physics/suspension update so I guess we will never be able to test it now, maybe we can notice same thing on new one??

With the current physics even if you touch the dirt with 2 wheels your car loses grip (rather than 4 wheels like it was previously) and it's easy to touch the dirt at Grand Valley without realising with the way the limits are
So restarting would just clean your tyres up, I found the car was very inconsistent until I tried to make sure I didn't touch the dirt
This also means that if they did Road Atlanta again I don't think the same driving lines would be quicker

Morning folks!

First of all... @Dan_Tes .... what the h*ll... thats huge mate, and kind of freaky if this makes a difference, what it does apparently..
and congrats on the lap, that is fire like always!

I struggled too this morning in the Alfa, i restarted like 10 times on T1, just could not get the car on the apex, in fact... it just would not rotate at all.... then saw i was on Wets???, i'm yeeting this thing on hard the whole week, and suddenly it was on wets? :boggled:
i don't get it, but changed it and man there was grip again!,

After 60 km's i dit hit my first .385 and was very happy about that finally! :lol::lol:
Few laps later i ran a .364 and for a brief moment i'm in the top 100 which i didn't expected to be on this combo
So not to Shabbbyyy at all this morning.

1925133adfe43-screenshotUrl.jpg

1925133918f52-screenshotUrl.jpg

1925133a0b362-screenshotUrl.jpg

My own little terrorboard, man with these combo's it's close but did move up 2 spots this morning :lol::lol:

19251337fc430-screenshotUrl.jpg

Tracklimit licking on the busstop chicane,

Maybe you were running IM tyres?

Edit: joke aside. Would be interesting to know your tyre temps. There's a good chance the tyres were overheated, since that behaviour has changed quite a bit since the last physics. But it's weird it happened only to one specific car and the retry issue you posted sounds like an odd bug.
.... then saw i was on Wets???, i'm yeeting this thing on hard the whole week, and suddenly it was on wets? :boggled:
i don't get it, but changed it and man there was grip again!
Edit: hit reply too soon ;)

See, I was onto something here. Would be a funny challenge to see if the forum aliens could still gold the TTs on IMs or wets...

Last edited:
8th gold in the pocket with the Miata ! and silver at GV as a bonus. And the Alfa looks like it will remain gold too.

The new TT looks interesting, not tested yet, hope I can start a gold streak, but I am not fooling myself, those were easy TTs, it won't remain that way.

Edit: hit reply too soon ;)

See, I was onto something here. Would be a funny challenge to see if the forum aliens could still gold the TTs on IMs or wets...
Trust me, that is going to be a struggle, T1 will make you go nuts :lol: :lol:
On the other hand, i see we have a physic update??...., and the Alfa still runs a week?...
That's annoying because it could be worse, or a lot better and everybody hits .4xx and .3xx :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Trust me, that is going to be a struggle, T1 will make you go nuts :lol: :lol:
On the other hand, i see we have a physic update??...., and the Alfa still runs a week?...
That's annoying because it could be worse, or a lot better and everybody hits .4xx and .3xx :lol: :lol:
.... oh shucks, physics update? and I haven't even had the time to set a single lap in the Alfa :nervous:
Hoping its nothing too drastic.

8th gold in the pocket with the Miata ! and silver at GV as a bonus. And the Alfa looks like it will remain gold too.

The new TT looks interesting, not tested yet, hope I can start a gold streak, but I am not fooling myself, those were easy TTs, it won't remain that way.
You're on fire lately and it also shows in the recent Titans races :)
I believe you're pace has changed overall and if you keep at it, the streak will hold and golding will become easier with each time trial. Also, we can't let @Pesselles go all alien by himself with his new gear :lol:👽

New TT:
Sports Mediums, BOP ON

Happy Hunting Folks :cheers:

View attachment 1393945
See, I knew it! Whenever there is an update, PD will feature one of the new cars in it for any specific track. That's how it usually works here. I feel like going on a sprint and a quest now for gold. But I must stay on schedule. Good luck Gogga, are you ready for the action?

Last edited:
You're on fire lately and it also shows in the recent Titans races :)
I believe you're pace has changed overall and if you keep at it, the streak will hold and golding will become easier with each time trial. Also, we can't let @Pesselles go all alien by himself with his new gear :lol:👽
That's nice, but I really think it is mainly due to recent TTs being on the easy side. I am as far form abduction as @Pesselles is close 😅

Not that I have not progressed a bit with time, but it'll take at least until GT8 before I become a regular gold medal recipient. Titan's events helped a lot by pushing me to drive more on many tracks and combos I otherwise would not have chosen, resulting in me finding cars or tracks more enjoyable than I used to, or getting a better knowledge of tracks.

See, I knew it! Whenever there is an update, PD will feature one of the new cars in it for any specific track. That's how it usually works here. I feel like going on a sprint and a quest now for gold. But I must stay on schedule. Good luck Gogga, are you ready for the action?
Thanks Chris...
I am always ready for the action, it's just that I am so inundated with work and life in general that I barely get any seat time these days.

Good luck to you too.
See you on the leader boards :cheers:

Back