Post Update 1.49 Suspension Compression Issues - Possible Glitch?

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
dawson864
Since the latest physics update, several of my cars have become undriveable when encountering track areas where the suspension encounters extreme suspension compression.

When this happened in the past I was usually to blame by lowering a car too much, using wheels too wide, a combination of the two, etc, leading to clearance issues between the tires and car body. However, since the latest update this is happening to many of my 100% stock vehicles. I haven't tried out all of my stock vehicles (who has time for that?) but the biggest offenders I've found so far are the E36 M3 and 964 911 RS. There are spots on many tracks with problems, but the easiest ones to identify occur on the Nordschleife. Specifically the downhill dip after Flugplatz, as well as at bottom of Fuchsrohre (Foxhole) and especially the drop at Pflanzgarten, also to a lesser degree the bottom of hill at Tiergarten. This is extra annoying given Nordschleife is my favorite track.

The steering wheel suddenly turns over 90° and will crash the car.

To fix this issue on my 964 I continually tried raising the ride height with full custom suspension. Minimum height for that car is 75 mm. BEFORE the update my car was perfectly happy at 105 mm. But now, that doesn't work. I tried raising the height, 5mm at a time, to get rid of the issue. No luck. Went up to 125 mm and at that point the height started to negatively affect handling in all aspects.

Again, this is happening to stock vehicles using sport tires (SH and SS, haven't tried SM but shouldn't matter). Stock wheel sizes as well. Anyone else experiencing this? Please help.

Try increasing the natural frequency and the compression damping. The force of the springs is proportional to the displacement, while the force of the damper is proportional to the velocity of the displacement. So when you increase the damper compression setting you absorb more of the shock from sudden compressions.

I mentioned the exactly same thing in the thread related to said update (1:49), exactly the same problem and exactly the same spot at the Nordschleife.

The car I was tes driving at Nordschleife was the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. The solution I found for it was setting the natural frequency to the max.

It has been working for many stock cars I drove there that display that problem.

In addition to this I always set the dampers (compression and expansion) to be stiffer (not max out though) and try to not set the car too low. At least not as low as before the 1:49 update.

As I don't seek tunning my cars to max performance, for I rather try to "just" improve them a reasonable bit, the height adjustable suspension does the trick for me. I'm sure the fully customizable suspension will get you even better results.

Edit: corrected typos

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. I feel like setting the suspension to be extremely stiff is a poor solution, especially given that the problem occurs mostly on tracks where you DON'T want a stiff suspension, lol.

Glad you found a "fix" but that's not really a fix. Stock vehicles should not behave that way, and given that they were not before update 1.49 that would indicate that PD ****ed up here. To which I ponder, does anyone know if PD is aware of this? They have to!

Back