Problem Solved: 60" 1080p Plasma!!!

• Thread starter Pako
  • 43 comments
It's actually a VIsta screen saver. :) I am rockin' OSX in the studio though.

For speakers I'm running the following:
Rockford Fosgate 12" subs in DIY cabs
Klipsch Reference Series
*Mains - RF-35
*Center - RC-3 II
*Side Surrounds - RS-3 II
*Back Surrounds - RS-3

These provide a nice reference 7.1 setup.

Sweeeeet setup!

Having just seen a Kuro in real life a few days ago (the 50" one), the black levels were the best I've seen on a TV. You can definitely see that in the pictures. 👍

I'd say leave the TV as it is unless you need space. It currently fits in just right with the other equipment.

It's actually a VIsta screen saver. :) I am rockin' OSX in the studio though.

For speakers I'm running the following:
Rockford Fosgate 12" subs in DIY cabs
Klipsch Reference Series
*Mains - RF-35
*Center - RC-3 II
*Side Surrounds - RS-3 II
*Back Surrounds - RS-3

These provide a nice reference 7.1 setup.

Wow, I bet that sounds great! 👍

It does man, looks and sounds better than I could have expected it. I think I've watched Blu-Rays every night since we got it all set up. It still has that wow factor, as I imagine it will for some time.

I feel pretty fortunate to have a wife and circumstances to allow me to get setup like this.

:cheers:

More like the dedicated electronics basement. With a recording studio I built on the opposite end of the basement, I have quite a bit of electronics..... I would hazard to guess a RF meter would be off the charts in my basement. :D I love it!!!

I've had a Pioneer plasma for a couple of years now. Retention can be an issue, so here's what I do:

- Disable the "power off on no signal" option.
- Set it to analogue TV (UHF) input.
- De-tune the analogue signal (actually, analogue isn't set up on it anyway)
- Leave it on overnight.

The snow effectively clears the retention.

That is a killer set up you have Pako. The entire room just looks like such a fun place to hang out. Those GT5P pics are jaw dropping realistic. I need to get a PS3 very soon so I can check out GT5P and start watching some blue ray movies. I always loved the photomode in GT4 and this looks even more realistic than that.
I like how you pieced that entertainment center together. Thats a great idea and I am going to have to do something similar to fit all the stuff we have since Heather and I have 2 of everything.
That looks soo good!! 👍

Giles,
Sorry, I missed the tip. Great advise, thanks. With my limited access to GTP lately, I seem to be missing a lot of things lately.

CAMAROBOY69,
Thanks man. I really enjoy it. I wish I had more time to relish in it's glory but life stuff keeps getting in the way lately. I still watch BR in awe, visual eye candy every time. I just watch A League of Extraordinary Gentleman last night. Lot's of dark, black scenes in that move and this TV handled it very well. On my old LCD, so much detail would have been lost.

:cheers:

I've had a Pioneer plasma for a couple of years now. Retention can be an issue, so here's what I do:

- Disable the "power off on no signal" option.
- Set it to analogue TV (UHF) input.
- De-tune the analogue signal (actually, analogue isn't set up on it anyway)
- Leave it on overnight.

The snow effectively clears the retention.

This is also a helpful tip for owners of LCD TVs as well. Unlike permanent burn-in (a form of image retention) that plasma and CRT displays are susceptible to. What GilesGuthrie is referring to is the image persistence that impacts both plasma and LCD displays. However, unlike burn-in it is just a temporary thing, and usually fixes it self after the display has been turned off for a long period of time, or simply watching a wide variety of different images.

However, in cases where several pixels are heavily charged, than what GilesGuthrie suggested is an excellent remedy. On the other hand, most recent displays now come with an option in the on-screen user menus to discharge the screen by displaying a video white noise test pattern for a specific amount of time.

For instance, here is that feature on my plasma:

DSCN1221.jpg

DSCN1222.jpg

The nice thing about this is that it only needs to run for an hour to discharge any pixels with image persistence, and so you don't have to keep your TV running all night long. 👍

Off-topic, but did you ever explain why you bought a plasma? I remember you said you would write something up.

Where did you hear that? ;)

I was going to write something up... but I have to admit, I was so taken in by the exceptional quality of the VP504, that I have been busy hosting a marathon session of video shoot-outs at my home with some of my fellow HT enthusiats... and they are still going on as we speak. :)

As a brief preview of my eventual review, the reason I decided to get this plasma... despite my well known dislike for the vast vast vast majority of plasmas first started back in January where there was a lot of buzz about this TV, and the goal of Vizio to take on the higher-end display market with a new 50" and 60" PDP display that was going to have the latest PDP pamel technology and arguably the best video processor found in a consumer display. At the show, Vizio announced these new displays would be ready for release sometime in June... and so I waited to see just how the final product turned out.

Last month the first model (VP504) from Vizio showed up at my local Costco, and despite the less than ideal warehouse enviroment, right out of the box, the picture was truly remarkable!

Having gotten permission from the general manager, I connected my PS3 to the show model via HDMI, and ran several of the tests on Silicon Optics' Blu-ray HD HQV Benchmark disc - all of which the VP504 passed with flying colors.

I then popped in the Blu-ray edition of Digital Video Essentials, and made some minor calibration adjustments. Obviously I was unable to do any grayscale caibrations, but from what I could tell, it wasn't that far off for most of the IRE levels.

Finally, I then played a few clips from some Blu-ray films, as well as standard DVDs, and 1080p and 720p videos downloaded off the PSN store.

By the time I was done I had created a large crowd around me... and we all agreed... it was a freakin' amazing TV... especially when one considered the fact that it was selling for less than half the price of the top of the line Panasonic and Pioneer... but clearly performed at their same level.

I should have asked the Manager for a commision, as I think at least six or more people in the crowd around me proceeded to grab one up for themselves.

Now what was interesting on my part is that I really wasn't in the market for a new TV. I already have a dedicated home theater with a 1080p front projector, as well as a decent 1080p LCD for the bedroom, and a very nice 720p DLP RPTV in the family room.... but I'll be the first to admit it... the picture was amazing, and sooo much better than most plasmas out there that I ended up grabing one myself.

Needless to say, as I pulled into the garage with a huge box in the back of the SUV... my wife took one look at me and smiled and then said, "Gee, why am I not surprised?" :D

*Thankfully she is pretty used to all the AV gear by now. :)

Since then, word spread, and so I have had a steady flow of friends and neighbors coming by to see me run it through it's paces.

One thing led to another, and pretty soon we had half a dozen displays being set-up in our home as more and more wanted to see how their TVs compared... which led to several of my friends and neighbors making a trip to Costco to buy one for themselves. :)

Then this got us all to thinking, with multiple VP504s, multiple PS3s, and multiple SA 8300HD DVRs, we can do some really extensive and scientifically accurate blind testing of all sorts of different things, like comparing video codecs, 1080p vs upscaled 720p, HDMI vs component, Satellite HD vs Cable HD vs VOD HD vs OTA HD, Blu-rays, DVDs, etc, etc, etc... and that’s just some of the video testing… we are also messing around with some audio tests as well, especially comparing various audio codec… so the AV marathon continues! :D

However, if it continues too much longer, my wife is going to stop being so understanding. :nervous:

Wait, CRT HDTVs are susceptible to burn in? I thought only plasmas and projection screens were.
From crutchfield.com:
Screen burn-in can damage displays that rely on a phosphor coating on the screen — plasma TVs and rear-projection CRT-based TVs are the most vulnerable to burn-in, and it's less likely, but possible with direct-view CRT TVs. Burn-in can occur when a static image — like on-screen video game controls, a scrolling stock or news ticker, or a station logo — remains on-screen for an extended period (generally several hours).

Back