Production Car Racing (GT4, CTSCC, PWC GTS/TC, MX-5 Cup, etc)Touring Cars 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,942 comments
Yep. I was feeling TCR would have taken off and been a strong category for drivers without a Supercars seat. TCR being handled so poorly that anyone, straight from say 86s, can skip passed that right to GT4. Which, is actually happening.

Yep. I was feeling TCR would have taken off and been a strong category for drivers without a Supercars seat. TCR being handled so poorly that anyone, straight from say 86s, can skip passed that right to GT4. Which, is actually happening.
The momentum TCR had at the start was similar to the way the SuperTourers took off in the early 90s.

In that first five years, every factory worth a damn was in it with both feet. Where it all went wrong, and TCR guarded against in their rulebook, was investment on a Formula One level by manufacturers on development.

One only has to compare the Mondeo that won the 1993 World Cup at Monza, to the Prodrive-built car that won the last British title.

The biggest investment on a local basis, was the Rogers supplying 25% of the field. Surely, that can't last forever? Garry is too smart for that as has been demonstrated by their parking the SF5000 category.

We don't talk about S5000. :scared::sly::lol:

...but it ain't funny. Damn shame...
Is that like Fight Club?

Seriously though, they got that car wrong from the very beginning.

It was a compromise of two vaguely similar builds, in an effort to arrive at a peaceful solution.

1. Mazda MX-5 Cup: another no-brainer here. In the paddock I talked to another spectator at the Mazda area where they had a Cup car and a Safety Car on display about trying it out. It would be great for sure but I wouldn’t fit into the cage 😊 Never had the chance so far to try the MX-5 (probably will rent one on Turo for a day or two) but the race car isn’t for me 😊 Back to the action, again, similar to the TCR I was very surprised about the sound experience. Those 2 liter engines sound great, actually quite close to the TCR cars apart from the turbo whistle that you can hear there. Also, as they’re always in packs, they sound like an angry beehive chasing Winnie-the-Pooh for stealing their honey. I liked them before, like them even more now

A bit of a gravedig but I'm currently in Mosport (sorry, CTMP) for the IMSA race. The MX5s are the loudest thing here by a country mile, and we've got LMP2s and 3s on deck. With the track's natural reverb and the echo you can hear them come from a mile away. :lol:

I noticed in the events you listed for 1999, that you were working at the events.

What type of work were you doing?
Sorry for the late reply, didn't get around to answer.

I'm also sorry for most likely disappointing you :) it was student work, checking tickets at the grandstands (Hungaroring, A1 Ring) and out in the boonies towards the top of the track (A1 Ring) and being a human wall at the end of the GP either at the pitlane exit (Austria) or in the pitlane, in my case between the McLaren and Ferrari boxes (Hungaroring) to discourage enthusiastic spectators to enter areas they didn't have tickets for.

In Austria we got food, water and accommodation, in Hungary only food and water (had a place to sleep as it was at the very end of college for me), plus basically pennies as a monetary compensation. I talked to an Austrian student worker at the A1 Ring who sold the program things and he thought first that I misspoke about the salary when converting HUF to Austrian Schilling, it was so ridiculously low :) (I'm fluent in German, no issues with the numbers :))

Sorry for the late reply, didn't get around to answer.

I'm also sorry for most likely disappointing you :) it was student work, checking tickets at the grandstands (Hungaroring, A1 Ring) and out in the boonies towards the top of the track (A1 Ring) and being a human wall at the end of the GP either at the pitlane exit (Austria) or in the pitlane, in my case between the McLaren and Ferrari boxes (Hungaroring) to discourage enthusiastic spectators to enter areas they didn't have tickets for.

In Austria we got food, water and accommodation, in Hungary only food and water (had a place to sleep as it was at the very end of college for me), plus basically pennies as a monetary compensation. I talked to an Austrian student worker at the A1 Ring who sold the program things and he thought first that I misspoke about the salary when converting HUF to Austrian Schilling, it was so ridiculously low :) (I'm fluent in German, no issues with the numbers :))
You haven't disappointed me at all.

I asked because I used to be a Flag Marshall at all the tracks in my State of Victoria.

The position was totally a volunteer role with a free lunch provided with extra drinks & snacks thrown in if they were available.
We were also given a free race programme.

There's no place closer to watch the sport, which is great when the weather is good, but will really test your dedication when it's cold and the rain is coming off Bass Strait sideways. 🥶

The late Barry Sheene called Phillip Island "Gateway to hypothermia." 😂

Unfortunately, I had left the role by the time the Australian F1 G.P came to Albert Park in 1996, but I did work at the 1997 race, demonstrating a F1 race simulator and got paid for it too.

Free admission over the three days of the event, with access to all areas besides the infamous Paddock Club (I didn't care), corporate catering (alcohol free until after the race) and rubbing shoulders with the Holden Racing Team.
(The demonstrating was in their hospitality tent and they were the then current champions). 🏁

I hope this doesn't start happening world wide.

chevrolet-tracker-2025-da-stoc.webp

chevrolet-tracker-2025-da-stoc.webp

Last edited:
A further drop in numbers to 16 entries.

Hopefully, entries start trending in the positive direction for the next round.
Could be just this round because they’re back at PI next round. Look like more cars are coming as well.

https://gt4australia.com.au/news/53/gt4-squad-move-into-fresh-facility?filter_team_news=0

“Next year expansion is set to continue,” said Anthony.

“As the category is in its infancy, it depends on how many other drivers get involved, but it’s got decent growth.

“We have a couple of customers aiming to join GT4, each in a different marque. We’re tooling up for the future of GT4 racing here in Australia.”

There are plans for the team to expand and include long distance events as part of its schedule.

GT Collective is also eager to bring the Supra down under

We'll see.
“We started with 18 cars and that will continue to grow for sure. We’ve got some more cars arriving in the country throughout this year and some existing cars that will come online too.

“So, I’d like to hope we’ll be in the 20s in the next round or two and hold that throughout the rest of the year and hopefully continue to grow into the mid-20s for the start of next year. That is our goal.”

Action begins for Monochrome GT4 Australia with two-part qualifying beginning at 7:40pm AEST before the opening one hour race at 12:20pm AEST to be broadcast live on 7plus and internationally via GTWorld’s YouTube Channel.

Race done. Now that was 14/16 cars at the finish and from my perspective it was still a good race. I think ten more cars with a couple Supras, another Mustang, Vantages and maybe a Z would make this a fantastic field for the series.

Back