PS5 is lacking in good arcade racing games

• Thread starter wheelhp
  • 56 comments
I really miss the days when good arcade racers were more viable and vibrant amongst the gaming mainstream, but indies have definitely been picking up some of that slack and creating some really great stuff to fill the gaps.

I'm really looking forward to Old School Rally, which looks to be going very directly for a Colin McRae 2.0 vibe;

Demo and full release due soon on Steam, and if it does well it wouldn't surprise me if console versions follow. Maybe one to keep an eye on.

It's not isometric, yey!! I'm quite excited that this trend for retro racers now seems to have entered the PS1 era, I've seen a quick video of this and initially thought I was watching Colin McRae Rally. Nice.

Definitely. I believe GRIP is already on consoles for your Rollcage fix.. Ballisticng is one hell of a Wipeout clone (no console release, but I hear they're working on a sequel which will)..

I feel like we're missing a Ridge Racer Type 4 homage, but who knows, we may get one.

Well this is a nice surprise scaff, i just got into circuit superstars and loving it.

I was just wishing they'd make a sequel with night racing, expanded game in a few ways, like mechanics etc.

This looks like what i wished, thanks.

Edit: just saw its listed already on pstore, as well as the prequel, i wonder if it's a good bet to get until this new sequel? Looks pretty similar, maybe a little less nice graphically, environments.

It be nice to have visual damage though, doesn't seem like it in this too.
Just watched a good video of impression of the game, pretty cool:

Higher plain games channel

That.is.dope!

Touring car action!

That.is.dope!

Touring car action!
Hehe yeah, i just did get the 1st one, woden gp.
Tried for an hour, its nice, when you off the music, the sounds are pretty good really in race.

Just wish maybe controls were less simplistic, the throttle is on off, so better just use a button than the trigger.
Steering is more gradual but the car rotates fast if push the steering much.
Edit: actually i now notice steering is also on/off, better just use dpad instead of joystick, works better even.
Getting satisfying now that i get more the controls and using dpad and x button.
Fun game.

Also wish there was a replay.
I got the hang of it somewhat, in a simple course, but it isnt easy on more swervy course.

I read that the 2nd game has more gradual controls.
Got the 1st one for 7bucks cad on pstore, not bad.
Nice time of day in it too.
Peace.

Last edited:
I noticed woden gp 2 seems to have added vertically to its tracks, and physics versus the 1st game, that's pretty cool.

The rumble strips arent just flat anymore, and cars react to it.
And in rallies there is bumps, jumps.

Will check it out when its on ps4/5 soon,,and on a good price. Im enjoying the 1st game for now, progressing normally after a hard start to adjust to controls.

I tried out Super Woden GP 2, it's a solid 7/10 game. My biggest gripe with it is that the tuning options are so limited, so I was stuck grinding the same couple of starter races for about half an hour, until I lucked into winning a not-SEAT rally car, which enabled me to finally get enough stars from the classic car races to advance.

I see that there is a new Horizon Chase game available. I have Horizon Turbo Chase and that is a fun arcade racer. The AI can be aggressive sometimes but is a fun throw back game. The Horizon Chase 2 came out in May I believe. I haven't heard anything about it so it may or may not be good. But going off Turbo Chase I think it should be fun

I tried a Need For Speed (miss the original on the 3DO) and was disappointed to find I couldn’t use my wheel. It was okay, the original was the best as it was more linear and felt like a race away from the cops.

I’d like to see more sim racing titles AND arcade. You’re right, there’s not much out, there that’s good anyway.

Here’s a idea,

Polyphony Digital should make an A to B racing game. Throw in drag racing on a dragstrip and on streets too. And then give us like the old school point A to B highway/freeway races like the original Need for Speed. With traffic. Maybe dumb down the physics a tiny bit for some visual damage. Keep the livery editor, reduce the amount of cars. Give like 15 cars from each era. Or group it like muscle cars, sports cars, 80’s wedges, super cars. That type of thing. Something around 150 cars would be perfect. Can leave the tuning in. Don’t make it a grind either.

They could do this!

:D

Just downloaded 550 MB. The main screen music is so retro. The freakin’ Gran Turismo map is crazy! Yoooo, I’m smiling and laughing while I go around the map. The faux name dealers are too cool!
UNUA and UNUA BTC, SHARK BTC, KASASAGI BTC, WAGNER BTC, INGWE BTC, 444T GR.A, SUPERHAI RACE CAR, DALTON EVO, are my joints right now… and I can’t even afford them yet. :lol: Love the SOOP FULGORE and FULGORE DTC. Nearly bought the VANIA as my first car. Just insane to have these cars in the game. I’m stuck in the dealerships at the moment and listening the synth music.

I swear, because I’m so hyped with this new “toy”, GT7 could have been GT-GT4 if done with all Standards(don’t Poo me) and the content from each game in the franchise. ;)

I think i need to get this game. It reminds me a lot of an arcade game i came across way back in the mid 90s, called 'World Rally'. I think it was an arcade port of a PC game based on Carlos Sainz and his Celica. Such an addictive but fun game.

I think i need to get this game. It reminds me a lot of an arcade game i came across way back in the mid 90s, called 'World Rally'. I think it was an arcade port of a PC game based on Carlos Sainz and his Celica. Such an addictive but fun game.
If you have an Evercade, both World Rally and it’s sequel are available on the Gaelco Arcade collections.

I like the look of Woden GP II and for the price especially so. The thing that's held me back so far is purely that I don't really like isometric racing games as a rule.

They have both Wooden GP 1 & 2 on sale for 19.99 on the Play store right now
Edit: It actually cheaper to buy them separately as GP 1 is 4.79 and 2 is 12.99

Last edited:
From the video, I didn’t expect the graphics to be much better than it looks while playing. Lots of chromatic aberration. It’s funny, in terms of graphics comparison, as if Circuit Superstars is the first Gran Turismo and Super Woden GP II is GT7.

Controls are pretty good. Bought the “Primera” road car first. Did a few races and won an “Opel Kadett” and Fiat rally car(DECASTRO R271). Completed another Championship and won a SOOP GLORIA ‘68. Cool little game.

Let’s start with the bad. If anyone hates grinding in Gran Turismo, don’t buy this game. :lol: SWGPII may only be twenty bucks, but that could have bought fuel for a real car or short list of groceries. ;)
Seriously, just like Gran Turismo, cars can be bought, sold and won. One cool thing about grinding is getting the same gift car and selling it for CR(Yep, it’s actually CR in the game).
The car list is so diverse it’s worth it to me to just have fun and remember the old arcade racers.

I tell you what, in the same breath, this game does make me appreciate the GT7 car list. Probably moreso for Forza players, but I won a SOOP MCBROWN(DeLorean). Too cute. We can also change the faux car names to the real ones from the Garage.
This game is just enough for full time play and quick easy play fixes without being serious.

A small nitpick from me in that there’s no replay mode, but it doesn’t matter.

I quite like Super Woden GP 2. Took me back to Rock n Roll Racing, micro machines etc... The earlier races are quite easy if you have the right car, but I've actually found it a real challenge once you get into the HP400/500 races, the cars are so fast for that view point (finding braking and turning points on that isometric view is tough)!!! But honestly I do really like the game.

Given I'm about to go on hol again, I crave the day when you can cross save between systems because if I could, I'd pay for this again on the switch. But I'm not starting again from zero

Last edited:
I bought SWGPII yesterday on the PS Store for 13. I haven't downloaded it yet but I will eventually and give it a try maybe over the weekend

I quite like Super Woden GP 2. Took me back to Rock n Roll Racing, micro machines etc... The earlier races are quite easy if you have the right car, but I've actually found it a real challenge once you get into the HP400/500 races, the cars are so fast for that view point (finding braking and turning points on that isometric view is tough)!!! But honestly I do really like the game.

Given I'm about to go on hol again, I crave the day when you can cross save between systems because if I could, I'd pay for this again on the switch. But I'm not starting again from zero
True. Just found that out after buying the Accord BTCC. Did a couple Time Trials to get used to it. Much better at momentum circuits than the hard cornering circuits.

I barely hear much talk about grid legends at all, i doubt many people even play at this point.

It has done nothing for me to be honest.

I think GRID Legends is a decent game, but it has no USP for me, not one that interests me anyway. Everything it does, other games do more and better.

I think GRID Legends is a decent game, but it has no USP for me, not one that interests me anyway. Everything it does, other games do more and better.
It all depends what you like, but to me, it has a massive career mode (both Grid 2019 and Grid Legends have) which actually includes progression. In these days of "player engagement", career modes are almost non existent now and progression is the same. (Notable also that the only other significant career mode of the last 2 years that comes to my mind is EA WRC which is another EA/Codemasters title).

I hope they continue with this approach, personally. @PJTierney

:D

Just downloaded 550 MB. The main screen music is so retro. The freakin’ Gran Turismo map is crazy! Yoooo, I’m smiling and laughing while I go around the map. The faux name dealers are too cool!
UNUA and UNUA BTC, SHARK BTC, KASASAGI BTC, WAGNER BTC, INGWE BTC, 444T GR.A, SUPERHAI RACE CAR, DALTON EVO, are my joints right now… and I can’t even afford them yet. :lol: Love the SOOP FULGORE and FULGORE DTC. Nearly bought the VANIA as my first car. Just insane to have these cars in the game. I’m stuck in the dealerships at the moment and listening the synth music.

I swear, because I’m so hyped with this new “toy”, GT7 could have been GT-GT4 if done with all Standards(don’t Poo me) and the content from each game in the franchise. ;)

RC Pro A.M. Rally? Looks cool.

Jerome

Back