Racing soft tires vs medium

United States
Olathe Kansas
Does anyone have a good sense for what level of wear on a set of soft racing tires has about the same level of grip as a fresh set of medium tires?

Last edited:
As cars have different tyrewear front to back and generally different handling and tyrewear profiles, there is no absolute direct answer to your question.

But it only does 2 laps to make an estimation:
one lap on fresh softs + one lap on fresh mediums
whenever you see your soft lap time reaching the point of fresh medium time you are at that point you want to know.

As cars have different tyrewear front to back and generally different handling and tyrewear profiles, there is no absolute direct answer to your question.

Yes that’s a good point. I probably should have phrased my question relative to a single tire. When racing of course we have a gauge that measures the wear on each individual tire. I’m imagining that there is some spot on that gauge at which the grip of a worn down soft tire is roughly the same as a fresh medium tire, something like 80% of soft equals medium. I do appreciate your suggestion to try some laps and see when they converge. I think at some point I will do that.

Last edited:
Like @Meythia mentioned you should test this out, your going to get different results depending on car/setup/track/driving style etc

Below is the answer I got from an AI bot
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In "Gran Turismo 7," tire wear and performance are critical factors that can significantly impact your lap times and overall race strategy. While the game does not provide explicit numerical values for tire wear comparison, we can make an educated estimate based on general racing principles and player experiences.

Rough Estimate
Based on player feedback and typical racing dynamics, a worn racing soft tire might perform similarly to a fresh racing medium tire when it is around 50-60% worn. This means:
  • 0-50% Worn Racing Soft Tire: Still offers better grip than a fresh racing medium tire.
  • 50-60% Worn Racing Soft Tire: Performance starts to align with a fresh racing medium tire.
  • 60-100% Worn Racing Soft Tire: Performance drops below that of a fresh racing medium tire.
Factors to Consider
  • Track Conditions: Different tracks and weather conditions can affect tire performance.
  • Driving Style: Aggressive driving can accelerate tire wear.
  • Car Setup: Suspension, downforce, and other settings can influence how quickly tires wear.
Conclusion
While this is a rough estimate, it should help you plan your pit stops and tire strategy more effectively in "Gran Turismo 7." Always monitor your tire wear indicators and adjust your strategy based on real-time performance feedback during the race.

Like @Meythia mentioned you should test this out, your going to get different results depending on car/setup/track/driving style etc

Below is the answer I got from an AI bot
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In "Gran Turismo 7," tire wear and performance are critical factors that can significantly impact your lap times and overall race strategy. While the game does not provide explicit numerical values for tire wear comparison, we can make an educated estimate based on general racing principles and player experiences.

Rough Estimate
Based on player feedback and typical racing dynamics, a worn racing soft tire might perform similarly to a fresh racing medium tire when it is around 50-60% worn. This means:
  • 0-50% Worn Racing Soft Tire: Still offers better grip than a fresh racing medium tire.
  • 50-60% Worn Racing Soft Tire: Performance starts to align with a fresh racing medium tire.
  • 60-100% Worn Racing Soft Tire: Performance drops below that of a fresh racing medium tire.
Factors to Consider
  • Track Conditions: Different tracks and weather conditions can affect tire performance.
  • Driving Style: Aggressive driving can accelerate tire wear.
  • Car Setup: Suspension, downforce, and other settings can influence how quickly tires wear.
Conclusion
While this is a rough estimate, it should help you plan your pit stops and tire strategy more effectively in "Gran Turismo 7." Always monitor your tire wear indicators and adjust your strategy based on real-time performance feedback during the race.
That sounds completely made up. “General racing principles”? “Player feedback”? “Typical racing dynamics”?

It seems like it’s just writing things that sounds good according to its language model. The fact that it doesn’t cite any sources is a red flag.

Last edited:
That sounds completely made up. “General racing principles”? “Player feedback”? “Typical racing dynamics”?

It seems like it’s just writing things that sounds good according to its language model. The fact that it doesn’t cite any sources is a red flag.
I wasn't vouching for it's accuracy I was just sharing an answer. Saying it sounds completely made up doesn't prove anything about the accuracy. You can ask AI follow up questions like what player feedback are you referring to in your answer etc ...
The fact that it doesn’t cite any sources is a red flag
LLMs (large language models) do not typically provide citations for the information they generate because they are not designed to retrieve information from specific sources like a search engine,but rather to generate text based on patterns and probabilities learned from their training data. There are ones that do include citations that analyze real time data such as perplexity AI.

Out of curiosity:
if the accuracy is not to be trusted, then the information is almost worthless as is.
Why not directly use a search engine to get a result that is directly based on player feedback instead of using a tool in development that is using playerfeedback in a way not known to the one who describes the question.

Saying it sounds completely made up doesn't prove anything about the accuracy.
It questions the accuracy of the statement.
You can ask AI follow up questions like what player feedback are you referring to in your answer etc ...
Sure, and when you do that it might reply “oh I’m sorry, I seem to have made that up, how embarrassing.”
LLMs (large language models) do not typically provide citations for the information they generate because they are not designed to retrieve information from specific sources like a search engine,but rather to generate text based on patterns and probabilities learned from their training data. There are ones that do include citations that analyze real time data such as perplexity AI.
…which makes them useful for writing stuff that sounds good rather than stuff that actually is good.

I haven’t finished a race where soft vs. medium was even a factor. My default is hard compound due to wear and wet track performance. Tire choice only seems to be anywhere close to an issue when it come to fuel/tire wear/wet races.

FM 6 on Hards not needing to pit or only once for every time they pit twice seems to be an easy strategy to me.

Any tire performance gains with softs can be made with transmission and suspension tuning anyway.

Just race against yourself hot-lap style and the rubber-band gang will yield P1 to you every time.

I haven’t finished a race where soft vs. medium was even a factor.
I dont think hard tyres of the racing compound have any advantage on wet tracks compared to medium or soft.
Without further testing, I am absolutely convinced it is wet/intermediate/soft+medium+hard, but not wet/intermediate/hard/medium/soft.

Additionally, expecting to make a difference of more tuning with any bother harder tyres vs less tuning with any both softer tyres totally neglects the fact of BoP races in which tyre choice and tyre wear really is dictating you to go into the pits at point x and try find the cross-section time where the next harder tyre compound would keep you on the track and save the few time vs pitting solely for tyres.

Back