• Thread starter Ronin387
  • 172 comments
Italy
Naples
Ronin387GT
Ronin387

Welcome to "Rain/Snow/Wet Effect - Photo Thread

Hello guys,
this is a thread dedicated to the effect rain, snow or wet conditions in general, recreated with photo editing. Use your favorite software and create your own masterpiece!

(Only Edited Shots)

Last edited:
SPA_PanoF1.jpg

~50 minutes of work, tried to stay realistic.
Great one. Did you hand paint the texture on the bumper or was a texture map? I'm still working on "real" rain texture. Falling rain, and splatter and like that, it's tough. ( I kind of wish GT6 would render the rain better from the replay).
@max351 and @NBDESIGNZ you guys draw the rain by hand no? Looks custom, If you did used a plugin can you point me in the right direction?
Thank you guys, keep up the freaking awesome work.

Thanks guys. For the droplet texture I used some brushes I downloaded, several layers, than transforming them and morphing them so they "flow" in the right direction. Here's the original picture and the 1080p version:

First rain edit in months, so far from perfect.

Great one. Did you hand paint the texture on the bumper or was a texture map? I'm still working on "real" rain texture. Falling rain, and splatter and like that, it's tough. ( I kind of wish GT6 would render the rain better from the replay).
@max351 and @NBDESIGNZ you guys draw the rain by hand no? Looks custom, If you did used a plugin can you point me in the right direction?
Thank you guys, keep up the freaking awesome work.

I use After effects. Simulation > CCrain.

I made mine with several layers out of white dots then put a cinetic blur on them with different angles and lenghts.
Super edit btw, Ace.
Thanks guys. For the droplet texture I used some brushes I downloaded, several layers, than transforming them and morphing them so they "flow" in the right direction. Here's the original picture and the 1080p version:

First rain edit in months, so far from perfect.
I use After effects. Simulation > CCrain.

Thanks guys,
I just started messing around in After Effects, ( and Smoke), After much research It really is about layers upon layers.
Thank you very much for the tips and information.
(I just watched RUSH, the F1 movie, It's amazing, so I am very inspired for wet weather.

some awesome edits in here!

Just a couple of little tips i can share...

Don't forget everyone, Rain never falls in one uniform angle like a curtain. At speed, you can only really see a few patches of rain, again not a thick sheet falling down.

Rain fall closer to the camera will of course be larger than rain falling in the distance, so try and create a few different planes of rain each with different size, angle, length and visibility etc.

When adding water droplets to a car remember to use a real world, acurate scale. A car at a distance won't have large fist sized water drops on it's body work, infact from a distance it'll look more like slightly spread out camera noise.

I know these are from GT5 but take a look at my edits and notice my use of body work water droplets and rain angle etc etc

Oh, also, water droplets on a car travelling at speed will be pushed and blown by the wind as you can see on my Alfa edit.

But really, that's just me, like i always say...i know nothing. My way isn't always the right way...follow your heart and other various slogans.

458 in torrential rain

Burning Rain

Love Found...forever

Oh, and here is my reflection tutorial that could come in very handy for anyone who is finding it a bit tricky.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/guide-reflection-tutorial-small-update.268867/

I'm looking forward to seeing more great work in here. 👍

Last edited:
Have you used noise as rain? There's too much of it without depth and it's missing spray from the tires.
Don't get me wrong, I just want to provide some feedback so you can improve.
My first rain pictures looked worse and the reflection is good (although, the light reflections need to be stronger).

EDIT: I posted this tutorial once: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/video-a-quick-rain-edit.273752/ Not many cared, but maybe it helps.

Have you used noise as rain? There's too much of it without depth and it's missing spray from the tires.
Don't get me wrong, I just want to provide some feedback so you can improve.
My first rain pictures looked worse and the reflection is good (although, the light reflections need to be stronger).

EDIT: I posted this tutorial once: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/video-a-quick-rain-edit.273752/ Not many cared, but maybe it helps.

I used (blurred) noise as rain. I knew there would be an issue with lack of depth, but I'll try using your tutorial next time and hopefully things would pick up from there. :)

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate your help and I'll take that into account next time! 👍

Back