Really? Suing the people that saved your life

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 45 comments
Looking at this from an economic perspective, we are basically required through taxation to hire on-call rescue workers and police officers. If you feel someone you hired did not hold up their end of the bargain, it makes sense to sue.

I don't think he should win the case, but I see where he is coming from.

edit: "hold up there end" :ill:

Last edited:
Looking at this from an economical perspective, we are basically required through taxation to hire on-call rescue workers and police officers. If you feel someone you hired did not hold up there end of the bargain, it makes sense to sue.

I think it's reasonable that the EMS should look at their procedure and see if they can make improvements, but they probably did that already because they take pride in doing a good job and would never turn down a way to save more lives more efficiently.

He could have died, but didn't, but he could have been killed before the EMS got there, and wasn't. Like I said, give him to Judge Judy. That should finish the job :D

Emergency rescue teams cant spend time looking in all overturned cars, flooded cars, that only wastes time for people the are alive and need help.

Emergency rescue teams cant spend time looking in all overturned cars, flooded cars, that only wastes time for people the are alive and need help.

I think that's the problem here, they were in a situation where they were going from scene to scene securing and retrieving property. If they'd been called to the incident as a specific, isolated RTA then I think they would have looked into the car by default.

As I said before I'm sure they'll look at the procedures to see if anything could be improved (both as service benefit and as a potential defence) but I don't see they have a case to answer here, at least not on the face of it.

Does Colorado not have Good Samaritan protection laws? It took one lawsuit where a guy sued the guy that saved his life using CPR, and broke some ribs in the process, for legal protections to get setup around here. Last thing they want is a precedent for this behavior. Soon, no one bothers getting trained to save lives.

Colorado Good Samaritan Act
for Emergency Care

CRS §13-21-108 Persons rendering emergency assistance exempt from civil liability.

(1) Any person licensed as a physician and surgeon under the laws of the state of Colorado, or any other person, who in good faith renders emergency care or emergency assistance to a person not presently his patient without compensation at the place of an emergency or accident, including a health care institution as defined in section 13-64-202 (3), shall not be liable for any civil damages for acts or omissions made in good faith as a result of the rendering of such emergency care or emergency assistance during the emergency, unless the acts or omissions were grossly negligent or willful and wanton. This section shall not apply to any person who renders such emergency care or emergency assistance to a patient he is otherwise obligated to cover.

(2) Any person while acting as a volunteer member of a rescue unit, as defined in section 25-3.5-103 (11), C.R.S., notwithstanding the fact that such organization may recover actual costs incurred in the rendering of emergency care or assistance to a person, who in good faith renders emergency care or assistance without compensation at the place of an emergency or accident shall not be liable for any civil damages for acts or omissions in good faith.

(3) Any person, including a licensed physician, surgeon, or other medical personnel, while acting as a volunteer member of a ski patrol or ski area rescue unit, notwithstanding the fact that such person may receive free skiing privileges or other benefits as a result of his volunteer status, who in good faith renders emergency care or assistance without other compensation at the place of an emergency or accident shall not be liable for any civil damages for acts or omissions in good faith.

(4)

(a) Notwithstanding the fact that the person may be reimbursed for the person's costs or that the nonprofit organization may receive a grant or other funding, any person who, while acting as a volunteer for any nonprofit organization operating a telephone hotline, answers questions of or provides counseling to members of the public in crisis situations shall not be liable for any civil damages for acts or omissions made in good faith as a result of discussions or counseling provided on the hotline.

(b) As used in this subsection (4), unless the context otherwise requires, "hotline" means a telephone line staffed by individuals who provide immediate assistance to callers in emergency or crisis situations.

(5) An employer shall not be liable for any civil damages for acts or omissions made by an employee while rendering emergency care or emergency assistance if the employee:

(a) Renders the emergency care or emergency assistance in the course of his or her employment for the employer; and

(b) Is personally exempt from liability for civil damages for the acts or omissions under subsection (1) of this section.

This will be thrown out of court. Good samaritan laws, plus legal precedent, ought to protect the county and the rescuers.

Americans like to sue people all the time for BS reasons.

Its certainly not limited to the US and quite frankly I don't care how many BS lawsuits people file (in law that is a right they have) as it only makes them all the more amusing when they get licked out.

Remember folks its not the BS ones that are filed that are the issue, but the ones that win (big difference).

Oh and before anyone mentions coffee and MacDonalds.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19150_6-famous-frivolous-lawsuit-stories-that-are-total-b.s..html
http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html

Wouldn't a lawer say.
You have no case since there is a law that protects the people your trying to sue or do they take them just so they can get legal fees.

Wouldn't a lawer say.
You have no case since there is a law that protects the people your trying to sue or do they take them just so they can get legal fees.
They'll have some strategy where they will try to argue around Good Samaritan laws.

Are you strapped for cash? Did someone help you out in the past? Now, with Beeblebrox and Associates, you can sue their ass and be set for life.

"I was struggling to pay my bills and couldn't afford a plumber. My friend John came over and fixed my toilet, but put a scratch on it. It annoyed me to no end, I could see it in my dreams. But thanks to Zaphod Beeblebrox, I sued him and now I live in a mansion while he gives his lifetime earnings."
Stephen, from Fort Wayne, IN.

"After attending college, I tried to get a job but found that my art degree was not in demand. I was gutted, so I sued the college for giving me a crap degree. Now I never have to work and can spend as much time as I want making terrible artwork! I'm so grateful to Beeblebrox and Associates for bankrupting others on my behalf. My bad life decisions are behind me now."
Mary, from Birmingham, AL.

Last edited:
Are you strapped for cash? Did someone help you out in the past? Now, with Beeblebrox and Associates, you can sue their ass and be set for life.

"I was struggling to pay my bills and couldn't afford a plumber. My friend John came over and fixed my toilet, but put a scratch on it. It annoyed me to no end, I could see it in my dreams. But thanks to Zaphod Beeblebrox, I sued him and now I live in a mansion while he gives his lifetime earnings."
Stephen, from Fort Wayne, IN.

"After attending college, I tried to get a job but found that my art degree was not in demand. I was gutted, so I sued the college for giving me a crap degree. Now I never have to work and can spend as much time as I want making terrible artwork! I'm so grateful to Beeblebrox and Associates for bankrupting others on my behalf. My bad life decisions are behind me now."
Mary, from Birmingham, AL.

After a game reviewer said our unfinished game was buggy and horribly made, we lost millions in sales of the game and DLCs
We sued the game reviewer for his "lies" and we ended up taking everything he owned, he now lives on the street where he belongs.
EA CEO, EA County, EA Land

Trust Fox Legal Associates to win your case with the "truth"

I suspect that if they are responding to a mass incident, they will look through cars to find survivors unless there are people in plain sight and they confirm their car is empty. I mean, how else do you find survivors if you don't clear each car and building?

Wouldn't his car insurance company handle this? Why not sue them? If he didn't have coverage, case dismissed. Next court case on the docket.

Sounds like a large local retail department store which burnt down, they had some intentions to sue the local fire department because their response was not adequate (can't remember if the case ever took off or not).

Back