Red Bull RB7 Launch

• Thread starter Alex.
  • 51 comments
Well... previously, it was thought that it flexes because the load used for flex-testing was too small to create the effect... but how much more weight could this put on the wing-tips?

Very interesting... and plausible... theory. đź‘Ť

I don't know how to calculate it accurately as i've only done uniformly distributed loads on my course. But it would probably increase the overall load by 20-25% or something along those lines (Though quite possibly more). Not enough to make it flex as much as it does, there must be other factors contributing to it.

Basically they are within the rules and Adrian Newey and his team have just come up with a design that no other team has even thought of / executed well enough.

Basically they are within the rules and Adrian Newey and his team have just come up with a design that no other team has even thought of / executed well enough.

Exactly. If you look at the improvements made to the cars over the past two years compared to some of the other cars, he makes other designers look like amateurs. The whole 'Wow, why didn't I think of that' scenario. I can't see the Red Bull dominance going away until the next set of new regulations come in (2013?).

Unfortunately I have to head off to work right now - but the latest findings are that the entire nose/wing of the RB7 seems to tilt downwards with load, particularly allowing the front edge of the wing to get very close to the ground. Not only does this bending of the nose cone help the front edge of the wing to ride very close to the ground, but it also increases the angle of attack of the front wing which helps to further produce more DF and bending.

Sorry for the short response :guilty: I'll try and post some pics when I get home from work.

Exactly. If you look at the improvements made to the cars over the past two years compared to some of the other cars, he makes other designers look like amateurs. The whole 'Wow, why didn't I think of that' scenario. I can't see the Red Bull dominance going away until the next set of new regulations come in (2013?).

If anything I think Ferrari and McLaren will catch Red Bull this season and the next because of their much bigger budgets. But once the regulations change again Newey will come up with more innovations to give them the edge once again. It's like the massive rule change in 98 when Newey designed the MP4-13, but by the end of 1999 it was no longer the fastest car and Ferrari won the championships the year after.

Interesting theory on the front wing though. I have no knowledge of complicated aerodynamics, but your idea seams plausible. The only thing I'm not sure about is that if the car has a better drag coefficient then surely it would be topping all the speed traps, rather than gaining all it's time in the last sector at Australia?

If it dips under pressure surely it might break off on the really bumpy circuits?

Anyone else notice that Sebastian Vettel named his car again.
He does it every year; it's a little superstition he has. His Toro Rosso was named Julia, and his Red Bull RB5 was originally named Kate. Then it became Kate's Dirty Sister, which started the trend of naming cars with alliteration.

He does it every year; it's a little superstition he has. His Toro Rosso was named Julia, and his Red Bull RB5 was originally named Kate. Then it became Kate's Dirty Sister, which started the trend of naming cars with alliteration.

Yes I know he names all his cars. That's why I said "again". ;)

So fellas, just what did Jake Humphrey see?

jakehumphreyf1 Jake Humphrey
Incredible day at @silverstoneUK, then saw something special at Red Bull. I'd love to tell you, but I signed this!
h2erbraj:iphone

X1?

So fellas, just what did Jake Humphrey see?

jakehumphreyf1 Jake Humphrey
Incredible day at @silverstoneUK, then saw something special at Red Bull. I'd love to tell you, but I signed this!
h2erbraj:iphone

X1?

RBR spares cars for sale to customer teams like HRT and Lotus... Just to make sure McLaren and Ferrari never catch up...

I'm going to say a prototype Red Bull engine for the 2013 regs.

Most likely fueled by a certain fruit flavoured energy drink, as an alternative 'green' fuel.

My money is on an iPad application that gives Humphrey a convincing excuse (rather than a contrived one) to use it at every opportunity.
RBR spares cars for sale to customer teams like HRT and Lotus... Just to make sure McLaren and Ferrari never catch up...
Customer chassis are banned.

No sir-ee... these are obviously not RBR shells.

For one thing, they're green, not blue.

My money is on an iPad application that gives Humphrey a convincing excuse (rather than a contrived one) to use it at every opportunity.

Customer chassis are banned.

But if they bought the intellectual property of the entire chassis, it would be cool, right? Like Super Aguri? Or did they patch this loophole up?

Back