Renault Sport Race Series (Finished)PS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 230 comments
<onto soapbox>
I've watched the replays and hmm yeah... The 1st race wasn't too bad but it did tend to get a little more messy with the mixed grid 2nd race.

The random grid is designed to perhaps allow those drivers who may be a bit slower a chance to be towards the front of the pack. Equally, instead of always being towards the front, it might give the faster drivers a different challenge in fighting their way forwards - but that "fighting" should always be fair and not impatient. The RS race did have a few "moments" and most of those could have been avoided by waiting for a better opportunity to pass.

I believe all of our group are good drivers and try to avoid contact when possible. That's why I enjoy racing with you guys. So I'm going to put it down to over exuberance on the day combined with a tight and twisty (wet) track.

Oh and @xeronima really didn't like the Mégane at Oulton in the wet, he eventually retired. I can see why @beachboy6658 called him "Torpedo". :D He did like the RS though!

I'll tell you this, @IfAndOr has been spiking his tea with something because that's the fastest I've ever seen him.
It's my own mixture of heroin, ketamine, ecstasy, PCP, and crystal meth. Plus I add a few anabolic steroids. I'm not sure why but I find that I don't need to sleep now so all the more time for playing PC2. I'm getting through some wheels though, I keep ripping them off their bases!

Last edited:
Ok this week's race at Red Bull Ring is all sorted out.

The Méganes on the National layout - 13 laps
The RSs on the GP layout - 15 laps

The date will be moved to August to warm the track surface up a little for the RS's race hard tyres.

Track limits will be on. Although they are surprisingly lenient at RBR. More obvious out of bounds discretions are still penalised though.

Note. This week we are trying out the RS race without the formation lap. While it is ok it can at times cause a few problems. Plus without it we can get one more lap of racing in within the same timeframe.

*We will still have a rolling start but this will be under computer control. Basically (for RBR at least) you can keep the throttle down as control is transferred to you.*

Please be aware that everyone will be traveling at a high speed when we all approach the first (kinky) corner - together! Let's all try to get around it. ;)

(I did try a manual rolling start but at RBR you get dropped into the moving car just before a corner - which causes problems)

can not keep the tail I'm a straight line when breaking down the hill....
Try the stable set up, if you're not already using it. Much better. Moving the brake bias forward can help too. And there's always ABS - it's available (on the RS). ;)

Results from Red Bull Ring

RBR Megane MON.jpg

RBR RS01 MON.jpg

Don't worry about it, I didn't. That's racing. I still managed to crawl my way back up to 3rd. Mainly due to others spinning like yourself.
Yes, I saw that in the final results that you had made the podium. 👍

I remained in the lobby even though the game disqualified me from the race.
As you suspected in the PS4 chat it was due to speeding in the pitlane.

But the disqualification didn't lessen my enjoyment of the R.S. race. I can only take positives from yesterday evening.
I probably had the best qualifying session I've ever had in any game (I felt like Schumacher in Sepang qualifying 1999 :dopey:) and the first five R.S. laps felt great. I thought I was doing okay and felt in control... before I spun and made a mess of things.
:lol:

@richroo you had excellent pace in the Megane races :bowdown:

the game disqualified me from the race.
Unfortunately that is integrated into the overall penalty system otherwise I'd remove it or make it more lenient. Possibly realistic, but it's a shame that it's a race ending feature rather than just a time penalty. It GTS you can enter the pits at +200mph :P

richroo you had excellent pace in the Megane races
He did. But then rage quit after a spin in the RS race. Again! Yes I do watch the replays. :sly:

Pictures @John Wells 👍

OK here we go with next Monday's Ruapuna Park info.

The Mégane races will be 11 laps each
The R.S. 01 races will be 16 laps long

Again the track limits will be on - it is quite easy to drift out of bounds here, so watch out.
The auto rolling start seemed to work fairly well last race and in testing it works OK at Ruapuna. So I'll keep that setting on - we should be used to it now. Be careful of/at the 1st corner again, it's easy to loose control under heavy braking.
If anyone would like to practice, I'm setting the date to the 1st January so it'll be during the southern hemisphere summer. Bit chilly with snow on the mountains otherwise.

See you Monday near to Khazad-dûm in the land of the Balrog.

No explanation to why ?
Yes I saw that. From many angles in fact. You crashed into another car.

Jocke lost control, spun and you unfortunately crashed into his sideways car. He then ended up on the other side of the track where I, also unfortunately, crashed into him. You continued, now being somewhat angry, spun by yourself and quit. I continued, calmly, still had a good race and finished 3rd. Very nearly 2nd!

In the heat of the moment everything seems to be against you. But as I said I do watch the replays from different cars and at different playing speeds, often rewinding and watching again. It takes some time! The actual "incidents" are often not what or as bad as they seem at the time. We're a clean group of racers and usually it's just online racing problems that often can't be avoided.

I'm trying to run this series in a serious but "lets have some fun" style. People quitting races and also leaving the series bothers me because I think maybe I should have done something differently. It does show that people getting worked up are passionate about the racing though. So perhaps I am getting something right. :)

That's the joys of hosting I suppose. 4 weeks to go!

No explanation to why ?

end of vid .! 1:08.10

Watching that I can only say sorry Rich, mate. I think my plan was to just get out of the way and out of the racing line.
Maybe I should have remained still. Since I was in the lead by four seconds at the time I spun,
I thought I would have enough time to drive off the racing line. Because I knew that I only had
a few seconds before 10+ cars would arrive to my stationary car :embarrassed:

Honestly, I didn't know what to do. I knew that the Renault Series forbids "reset to track", so I never tried that option.

I knew that the Renault Series forbids "reset to track", so I never tried that option
That's more for when you miss a corner and use that option to immediately get back on track. I leave it up to everyone to be sensible in its use. If you feel it's time to use it, it's time to use it. ;)

If you're too close to another car it won't let you reset anyway. Which is awkward if you're both upside down on your roofs!

I never got to save the R.S. replay unfortunately.
But with Rich's video at least, I can see what happened between us.

Now if anyone could upload the incident between me and Paul on lap 5 I can
watch that too, and feel some more shame :)
Edit: Lap 6

Last edited:
Now if anyone could upload the incident between me and Paul on lap 5 I can
watch that too, and feel some more shame
Not much to it. I came around the corner and you were their. I headed to the spot where I thought there might be a gap but you were heading that way to. Crunch. My main problem was when I came to rest my wheel was upside down so while clicking the paddle to change down I was actually changing up the gears. Took me a few moments and a lot of clicking to figure this out. :P

Last edited:
Not much to it. I came around the corner and you were their. I headed to the spot where I thought there might be a gap but you were heading that way to. Crunch. My main problem was when I came to rest my wheel was upside down so while clicking the paddle the to change down I was actually changing up the gears. Took me a few moments and a lot of clicking to figure this out. :P
And you still made it to the podium :dopey:

Guys I can't use wheel due to some health problems. I might try controller in practice room, but I haven't used it since GT2 and never was good with it (I use AT and buttons for brake ant throttle :) ). So sorry in advance for my driving or maybe I won't be racing if practice show I cant drive with controller.

Back