Ridiculous difficulty in Speedster Trophy

• Thread starter Real-GT
  • 36 comments
Just commenting on the unnecessary dificulty of the Opel Speedster Trophy. Despite buying the best speedster turbo and giving it a few basic upgrades, its still a 200 point race with my car being way slower then all the other (apparently the same) cars in the race.

Has anyone else found this? The manufacturer races are usually very easy, at least compairable mechanicals.

Yeah, i'll try that then. I just want to know why all the other cars seem to have about 5 times their regular horsepower, its silly to have them all just take off at the start of the race.

I like surprises, It's a good thing all races are not to easy.
Tha AI of the Speedster race are fully tuned.
I'd go for the non turbo version, NOS is not needed to win (makes winning easy).
turbo upgrade, wings (max downforce) and racing tyres are most important upgrades you'll need.

I found that the Speedster handled like poo. Therefore I upgraded the suspension, power and tires and won. Keep trying to win because the more you try the better you will be at driving 👍

I haven't tried that race but I had the same problem in the Apline Cup. The other cars just took off and left me behind in the straights (Even from a standing start). Even with weight reduction I could just barely manage to loose 3-4 seconds per lap.

The same is the case for the British Lightweight cup: I did that one in the Ginetta and every other Ginetta that came up in the line up would just out-acellerate me from a standing start or any straight. If the straight was longer than 4 seconds they would just whizz by me.

Only solution in both cases was to get the stage 1 turbo....

I didn't have that problem in the Alpine races, where I found a change of tyres and, I believe, an oil change sufficient to win the series (but come somwehere close to last on Tokyo R246).

I DID have the problem in some championship full of MX5 / Miata / Eunos roadsters. Was likely in the Mazda Dealership events. Everyone left me for dead until I turned up with 250BHP in my MX5.

It may be significant that with the Alpine challenge I found it nice and competitive (took me three attempts) and I qualified for most of the 5 races, so I started at or near the front. I believe I won 3 races in that one, and had a second and a third or something.

In the MX5 championship I did not bother to qualify and started from the back of the grid. I find that, when you are in front of the AI car, and he is faster in a straight line, you can improve your top speed by sticking to the standard racing line on the straights. The AI will helpfully push you along. Just move out of their way when you get to the braking zone.

A GT4 race event that actually requires some thought and effort to win, and you're complaining about it? Every event in the game should be like the Speedster series. I just wish the races were longer.

To win, you have to combine proper setup and tuning with smart driving. Imagine how good GT4 would be if you had an option to make every race like this one, or even tougher if that's what you wanted.

deadboy1975
you'll also find the same thing in the Peugoet 206 Cup, all cars are tuned to just under 300bhp

I found that out when I entered with my 206 RC with medium racing tires as the only upgrade. When the 1st race started they all just left me behind :indiff:

Got some more mods done before I returned to collect my 200 points per race 👍

Fletch
I found that out when I entered with my 206 RC with medium racing tires as the only upgrade. When the 1st race started they all just left me behind :indiff:

Got some more mods done before I returned to collect my 200 points per race 👍

I found out that hard way, 200 Ballast and N1's needless to say I got left eating dust

one quick reboot later, one preview later, lots of mods, 206 RC looks like a little ricer, 200 pts sweet

Well its good to see its not some bizzare glitch in the PAL release then. I must also note that i'm not concerned with the difficulty so much as why the AI car seem fully modified in what I though was a standard race. No matter, their day will come.

Real-GT
Well its good to see its not some bizzare glitch in the PAL release then. I must also note that i'm not concerned with the difficulty so much as why the AI car seem fully modified in what I though was a standard race. No matter, their day will come.

The regular Speedster can be tuned up more than the Turbo Speedster. That's why you're having trouble. I had to tune up my Turbo Speedster a fair bit to be able to win (I actually had a lot of fun, I tried to win with as little upgrades as possible, and failed a few times before I succeeded).

Later I discovered that the regular Speedster simply has more power than the Turbo when fully tuned

Arwin
The regular Speedster can be tuned up more than the Turbo Speedster. That's why you're having trouble. I had to tune up my Turbo Speedster a fair bit to be able to win (I actually had a lot of fun, I tried to win with as little upgrades as possible, and failed a few times before I succeeded).

Later I discovered that the regular Speedster simply has more power than the Turbo when fully tuned

I agree, in fact the regular Speedster can win without a turbo upgrade. A level 2 NA tune (and all the other usual upgrades with R3 tires) is enough. I also put on a wing last time I tried it but I don't know if that was necessary as I was winning by fairly large margins.

I had fun with that race. The speedster is a fun car to drive when it's so tuned out, and it actually looked pretty good with a black 3D1 spoiler.

In about HALF of the races in GT4 you're facing competition that's NOT stock.
There are very few non-mfg races where you're facing all stock cars, it's usually mixed as the computer attempts to "even" out the field.

Preview the races to find out which are which.

British Lightweight: The Ginetta has 117hp and Soft tires.
Peugeot 206: They all have about 275hp and Soft tires
Opel Speedster: The Speedster is 343hp, the Turbo is 379hp and Soft tires.

Alipine: Sorry, they're stock... it's just that 110 is much more capable than the 310 :sly:

jdw
In about HALF of the races in GT4 you're facing competition that's NOT stock.
There are very few non-mfg races where you're facing all stock cars, it's usually mixed as the computer attempts to "even" out the field.

Preview the races to find out which are which.

British Lightweight: The Ginetta has 117hp and Soft tires.
Peugeot 206: They all have about 275hp and Soft tires
Opel Speedster: The Speedster is 343hp, the Turbo is 379hp and Soft tires.

Alipine: Sorry, they're stock... it's just that 110 is much more capable than the 310 :sly:

I tried previewing but it only shows you the info on the last place car and of all the lineups I tried the Ginetta was never last.

Yes, the A110 has about 30 more HP. Still, even in the straights the other 310s seemed to just pull away. And they are really hard to handle on the default tires. I didn't upgrade the tires but put 10kg of ballast at the front of the car instead. That fixed 80% of the fistailing.

Mr.Slow
I tried previewing but it only shows you the info on the last place car and of all the lineups I tried the Ginetta was never last.

Yes, the A110 has about 30 more HP. Still, even in the straights the other 310s seemed to just pull away. And they are really hard to handle on the default tires. I didn't upgrade the tires but put 10kg of ballast at the front of the car instead. That fixed 80% of the fistailing.

Sure, finding a specific car is tricky. I've managed to compile the AI list for about 2/3 of the races now. Still trying to get some pieces sown up before publishing it as a FAQ. If you have questions on specific races just ask!

The point is, you can preview the race a couple times to determine whether you're racing a mixed lineup or stock lineup.

The game works this way... for a good number of the races, the lineup is mixed. There's a "pool" of cars for each race that the game can choose from and there's an HP "line". If a car chosen from the pool comes stock with HP below the line, the game will soup it up to be near the line. If the car chosen from the pool comes stock with HP above the line, the game will leave it alone.

Example #1: Clumban -- HP line is 300, but the Lotus Carlton still comes with it's stock HP of 387hp.

Example #2: Tuning Car -- HP line is 400, but there are a few (HPA - 532, RUF CTR2 - 514, Yellow Bird - 452, GTR R-Tune - 452) cars that come with their higher stock HP

Well, for the NTSC copy I have Alpine A110[138], Alpine A310[123] + the 110 is lighter. I had to soup the 310 up just a bit to win that series the first time I tried it. Hmm... will have to check about the other 310s pulling away. I remember playing around with trying the 310 stock and I could pass the other 310s easily enough but couldn't get to the 110s.

deadboy1975
you'll also find the same thing in the Peugoet 206 Cup, all cars are tuned to just under 300bhp

i think i had every mod available for that race and it was still a 116 point race.

How does previewing a race help? You get to see what's racing, but you don't see their HP or other mods, right? So you could theoretically enter with a matching car to the most powerful in the field, but you only see what he has under the hood at race time.

(Or am I missing something obvious here?)

Kolyana
How does previewing a race help? You get to see what's racing, but you don't see their HP or other mods, right? So you could theoretically enter with a matching car to the most powerful in the field, but you only see what he has under the hood at race time.

(Or am I missing something obvious here?)

Previewing will tell you the HP and tires used by the car they show you.

Where is the HP shown? Or do you have to wait for the race to be over to see it? Can you bring up the 'pitstop' screen while viewing the preview? (I've never tried)

Oh, and I did something similar to this the other day ... I entered a race (American Allstar, I believe) and there was the Chaparral 2J Race Car ('70) in it (I was in my Camaro race car) .. I came a good second, but the Chaparral left the entire field standing ... it's power to weight ratio isn't even in the same league as anything else in that event.

So, I beat a hasty retreat, grabbed myself the Chaparral 2J (left as stock) and re-entered. Ofcourse, what happened? The bloody thing isn't in the race anymore, so now I'm ridiculously too powerful for the field.

I find that this way of doing things - previewing essentially a *random* field - to be somewhat hit and miss ... unfortunately.

Kolyana
Where is the HP shown? Or do you have to wait for the race to be over to see it? Can you bring up the 'pitstop' screen while viewing the preview? (I've never tried)

:confused:

Maybe you're thinking of something IN the race? Nothing there.

You can either Enter a race or Preview it. The Preview is the one that will let you watch a race without participating. You see the HP and the tires for the car that starts 6th in the race you watch.

jdw
:confused:

Maybe you're thinking of something IN the race? Nothing there.

You can either Enter a race or Preview it. The Preview is the one that will let you watch a race without participating. You see the HP and the tires for the car that starts 6th in the race you watch.

AH! I thought there was a way of viewing the tires and HP for all the cars - I mean, I've never been able to do it, but by listening to you guys talk, I thought there was a way and I just didn't know how.

Let me ask, though, if the last car is actually the weakest, how does it help to know it's HP and tires? Surely it would be better to at least know the mid-field?

Kolyana
AH! I thought there was a way of viewing the tires and HP for all the cars - I mean, I've never been able to do it, but by listening to you guys talk, I thought there was a way and I just didn't know how.

Let me ask, though, if the last car is actually the weakest, how does it help to know it's HP and tires? Surely it would be better to at least know the mid-field?

But... but... that would make too much sense! :sly:

The last car isn't the weakest, it's just the last car.

jdw
But... but... that would make too much sense! :sly:

The last car isn't the weakest, it's just the last car.

Ah, I thought the field was organized from strongest through weakest, because typically you see the cars nearer the front also finishing front, while the guy at the back typically stays there.

Kolyana
Ah, I thought the field was organized from strongest through weakest, because typically you see the cars nearer the front also finishing front, while the guy at the back typically stays there.

That's usually because the AI can't pass worth a damn! :D

You'll see that doesn't happen as often at wide tracks with grid starts (Apricot, Grand Valley are good examples)

I did the Speedster trophy yesterday, and in race 2 (I think it was) my car went off the track in the first corner before the race even started! When the race started I was a long way behind all the other cars. I did the race 2 more times and it was the same all times! has anybody else had the same unfortunate start in that race?

All cars gets a great line through the corner...

Except my little red Speedster :indiff:

Out in the gravel collecting dust and losing speed

back on the road, look at the distance to the other cars

The race starts and I have to gain even more ground to catch up to the others :mad:

Back