• 54 comments

Rim or wheel?

• Total voters

buickgnx88

That Guy Over There
Premium
United States
Anoka, MN
What do you call the part that a vehicle rolls on which sits within the tire? The most common answers are rim and wheel, but there are also some variations on what constitutes a rim and a wheel.

I tend to call 'em allys or steelys depending on whether or not I currently have my alloy wheels fitted, or my steel wheels fitted.

But, from the 2 above, I'd go Wheel.

The rim is the part of the wheel around the edge. So unless specifically referring to that bit, they are properly called wheels.

Oh I know that, but some people still call the entire unit a rim (especially the tuner crowd).

I call them "wheels" under any circumstances. I find the term "rim" to be stupid, and related to the tuner crowd (as buickgnx88 said), which is a crowd I don't want to be associated with, to be honest.

I call them "wheels" under any circumstances. I find the term "rim" to be stupid, and related to the tuner crowd (as buickgnx88 said), which is a crowd I don't want to be associated with, to be honest.

Agreed with this definition, though also with Duke that the "rim" is actually the part that he mentions.

What do you call the part that a vehicle rolls on which sits within the tire? The most common answers are rim and wheel, but there are also some variations on what constitutes a rim and a wheel.
Hey, did I gave you this idea when I PM'ed you earlier this evening with my question about rims, tires and wheels? 💡

Agreed with this definition, though also with Duke that the "rim" is actually the part that he mentions.

I forgot to mention he is right. But since we are talking about wheels, wheels it is.

Here in Argentina, "llanta" is more or less the argentine version of the word "rim", as in aftermarket wheels (by some people's definition), or in general. In other spanish-speaking countries, "llanta" means "tire", while "rin" means "wheel".

Also, here Athletic shoes are also refered as "llantas", for example, "altas llantas" means "cool rims".

PS: what's Maybay? lol

Maybe vs. Maybay

What do you call the adverb that indicates a lack of certainty? The most common answers are maybe and maybay, but there are also some variations on what constitutes an adverb that indicates a lack of certainty.

I'm not fat ....! :P

Thanks for this thread. So many solutions to choose from, I'm spoiled.

PS: what's Maybay? lol

Haha guess you haven't seen Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me!

Maybay is Maybe, but in the way that the character Fat Bastard says it.

In my view:

Rim (Metallic circle with spokes) + Tire (Rubber around the rim) = Wheel (Complete set of Rim and Tire, a car has four).

Either, I don't really care...

Rim if there is a tire mounted on it, wheel if it's just a bare wheel. Or raams if you're a G.

Edit:
OR wheels and tires if I'm buying them. I really don't know, I guess I've never paid attention...

Last edited:
In my view:

Rim (Metallic circle with spokes) + Tire (Rubber around the rim) = Wheel (Complete set of Rim and Tire, a car has four).

Same. Rubber is the tire, what it's riding on is the rim, the whole set is the wheel.

I'm the guy who thinks wheels are a bit dull and long to say so I use the more street talk of "rims".
Though 55% of the time I'm using rims; 45% of the time its a wheel.

I'm not gangsta enough to call them rims. So wheels it is. Although I could see 'rims' slipping out from time to time when talking about them without tires mounted.

Back