Rim vs. Wheel

• Thread starter buickgnx88
  • 54 comments

Rim or wheel?

• Total voters
Wheels.

A rim is part of a wheel - Which is distinctly different from the tire that often gets lumped in with it.

When I hear people saying 'I gotz new rimz y0!' a few of my brain cells quietly die.

The rim is the part of the wheel around the edge. So unless specifically referring to that bit, they are properly called wheels.

Riding on "flanges" just doesn't have the same zing to it.

Wheel, generally. But it doesn't really matter to me, either way. I sometimes do call them rims.

Alot of people in Britain call them 'alloys', although I use wheel.

I'm probably split about 50/50 with more lean towards rims. When I think of wheels, I think of the whole thing with the tire.

The part the tire sits on is the rim. The whole thing is a wheel.
That's what I thought also.

Isn't it possible that rim/wheel has a different meaning in different English speaking countries?

That's what I thought also.

Isn't it possible that rim/wheel has a different meaning in different English speaking countries?

Of course. And the way the original post put it, he could have been describing a rim or a wheel. But it's not like people don't understand what you're saying if you use either term. This is why elaboration was invented, as follows: "Hey, I think there's something wrong with my wheel."
"You mean with the tire or the rim?"
"Neither. I think it's the spoke."

etc.

Rim is a commonly used slang term for wheel, but the word technically only fits for the outer edge of the wheel flange, or the barrel of a multi piece/wire wheel.

rim noun \ˈrim\

- brink

- the outer often curved or circular edge or border of something

- the outer part of a wheel joined to the hub usually by spokes

- a removable outer metal band on an automobile wheel to which the tire is attached
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rim

MldRU4u.jpg

Technically the whole assembly that rotates around the axle (hub, plate ,spokes ,rim ,tyre) is the wheel. Automotive wheels and tyres however are two distinct pieces, purchased, maintained, and thought about as being very much separate.

wheel_diagram_500.gif

Last edited:
Well, since I first posted in this thread in 2010, I've changed cars a few times, and picked up some BBS's along the way, so now I can legitimately call them rims (until they are finished :D)

182563_10150860355102245_589630187_n.jpg

I guess to add into this, due to the number of stupid people I deal with through my job (tire shop), you pretty much have to say rim and tire. If I say wheel, people think I'm talking about the whole package (wheel and tire)...

Idiots.

Back