Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
Its Obvious: Music Games Are Taking Over

RGQXB3g7Gy_thumb_DSC02358.JPG

Rock Band 2

Not much will change, but with over 100 songs available at the start, plus all of the music available from the first game (DLC), there will be nearly 500 songs in the library by 2009.

The full on-disc track list:

Kotaku
Rock Band 2 On-Disc Track List:
Artist Song Title Decade
1. AC/DC “Let There Be Rock” 1970s
2. AFI “Girl’s Gone Grey” 2000’s
3. Alanis Morissette “You Oughta Know” 1990’s
4. Alice in Chains “Man in the Box” 1990’s
5. Allman Brothers “Ramblin’ Man” 1970’s
6. Avenged Sevenfold “Almost Easy” 2000’s
7. Bad Company “Shooting Star” 1970’s
8. Beastie Boys “So Whatcha Want” 1990’s
9. Beck “E-Pro” 2000’s
10. Bikini Kill “Rebel Girl” 1990’s
11. Billy Idol “White Wedding Pt. I” 1980’s
12. Blondie “One Way or Another” 1970’s
13. Bob Dylan “Tangled Up in Blue” 1970’s
14. Bon Jovi “Livin’ on a Prayer” 1980’s

15. Cheap Trick “Hello There” 1970’s
16. Devo “Uncontrollable Urge” 1980’s
17. Dinosaur Jr. “Feel the Pain” 1990’s
18. Disturbed “Down with the Sickness” 2000’s
19. Dream Theater “Panic Attack” 2000’s
20. Duran Duran “Hungry Like the Wolf” 1980’s
21. Elvis Costello “Pump It Up” 1970’s
22. Fleetwood Mac “Go Your Own Way” 1970’s
23. Foo Fighters “Everlong” 1990’s
24. Guns N’ Roses “Shackler’s Revenge” 2000’s
25. Interpol “PDA” 2000’s
26. Jane’s Addiction “Mountain Song” 1980’s
27. Jethro Tull “Aqualung” 1970’s
28. Jimmy Eat World “The Middle” 2000’s
29. Joan Jett “Bad Reputation” 1980’s
30. Journey “Anyway You Want It” 1970’s
31. Judas Priest “Painkiller” 1990’s

32. Kansas “Carry On Wayward Son” 1970’s
33. L7 “Pretend We’re Dead” 1990’s
34. Lacuna Coil “Our Truth” 2000’s
35. Linkin Park “One Step Closer” 2000’s
36. Lit “My Own Worst Enemy” 1990’s
37. Lush “De-Luxe” 1990’s
38. Mastodon “Colony of Birchmen” 2000’s
39. Megadeth “Peace Sells” 1980’s
40. Metallica “Battery” 1980’s
41. Mighty Mighty Bosstones “Where’d You Go” 1990’s
42. Modest Mouse “Float On” 2000’s
43. Motorhead “Ace of Spades” 1980’s
44. Nirvana “Drain You” 1990’s
45. Norman Greenbaum “Spirit in the Sky” 1960’s
46. Panic at the Disco “Nine in the Afternoon” 2000’s
47. Paramore “That’s What You Get” 2000’s
48. Pearl Jam “Alive” 1990’s
49. Presidents of the USA “Lump” 1990’s
50. Rage Against the Machine “Testify” 1990’s
51. Ratt “Round & Round” 1980’s
52. Red Hot Chili Peppers “Give it Away” 1990’s

53. Rise Against “Give it All” 2000’s
54. Rush “The Trees” 1970’s
55. Silversun Pickups “Lazy Eye” 2000’s
56. Smashing Pumpkins “Today” 1990’s
57. Social Distortion “I Was Wrong” 1990’s
58. Sonic Youth “Teenage Riot” 1980’s
59. Soundgarden “Spoonman” 1990’s
60. Squeeze “Cool for Cats” 1970’s
61. Steely Dan “Bodhitsattva” 1970’s
62. Steve Miller Band “Rock’n Me” 1970’s
63. Survivor “Eye of the Tiger” 1980’s
64. System of a Down “Chop Suey” 2000’s
65. Talking Heads “Psycho Killer” 1970’s
66. Tenacious D “Master Exploder” 2000’s
67. Testament “Souls of Black” 1990’s
68. The Donnas “New Kid in School” 2000’s
69. The Go-Go’s “We Got the Beat” 1980’s
70. The Grateful Dead “Alabama Getaway” 1980’s
71. The Guess Who “American Woman” 1970’s
72. The Muffs “Kids in America” 1990’s
73. The Offspring “Come Out & Play (Keep ‘em Separated)” 1990’s
74. The Replacements “Alex Chilton” 1980’s
75. The Who “Pinball Wizard” 1960’s

Bonus Artist Bonus Song Title Decade
76. Abnormality “Visions” 2000’s
77. Anarchy Club “Get Clean” 2000’s
78. Bang Camaro “Night Lies” 2000’s
79. Breaking Wheel “Shoulder to the Plow” 2000’s
80. The Libyans “Neighborhood” 2000’s
81. The Main Drag “A Jagged Gorgeous Winter” 2000’s
82. Speck “Conventional Lover” 2000’s
83. The Sterns “Supreme Girl” 2000’s
84. That Handsome Devil “Rob the Prez-O-Dent” 2000’s

AMAZING! I love it! Combined with the DLC already available, and whats likely to come, this continues to be my favorite music game out there.

Then There is Guitar Hero
guitar-hero.jpg

Kotaku
Red Octane founder Kai Huang took the stage today at Microsoft's E3 2008 presser to toss out a few pertinent Guitar Hero related tidbits. First up, REM DLC is coming, and Xbox 360 owners will get first shot at it when it drops. Then Huang revealed that Van Halen and The Eagles will be completely exclusive to Guitar Hero: World Tour. No Hot For Teacher for Rock Band? Not fair.

Finally, Metallica is coming to Guitar Hero in a big way, with DLC being readied to release alongside their new album, Death Magnetic, which is guaranteed to completely make up for Saint Sinner...as if any album could actually contain such power.

More than anything, the big news is the "Create Music" system in the game. They didn't talk about it much, but it sounds like you can buy/sell your music in their new music store as well... Something that Activision seems to think can rival iTunes eventually.

...Still, not much of a fan of Guitar Hero anymore...

What About this LiPS Thing?
lips_mic.jpg

Not much other than a motion-sensitive, light-up microphone. Oh, and the fact that you can plug your iPod or Zune in and sing along to those songs as well. EPIC!

So they want us to buy all of the music that we already payed for the first time in RB1? If so, DLC is getting ridiculous. Maybe we can just get the game engine on a disc and then buy all of the songs, instruments, videos, sets...

I haven't paid for a single DLC song. $1.99 is not worth it for something I'll probably play 1-3 times.

So they want us to buy all of the music that we already payed for the first time in RB1? If so, DLC is getting ridiculous. Maybe we can just get the game engine on a disc and then buy all of the songs, instruments, videos, sets...
No.

All RB1 and RB2 DLC will work with either game. They said this about two weeks ago. Also all RB1 instruments will work with RB2.

And today they announced that if you want the game disc songs from RB1 integrated into your RB2 game it will be a one time charge of less than $5.

In all reality Harmonix is going out of their way to make sure that the fans have the best experience possible with their game.

Quite right... And with the library that they say will be nearly 500 songs, I'd say that's a helluva deal. Either way, I need to fix my RB1 guitar. Or just buy a new one in the fall.

Guitar Hero World Tours song creator sounds very promising. That means unlimited tunes. Nothing new with RB to get my attention.

I don't really like music games. At all. I think they suck frankly.

The few times I've tried Guitar Hero, I just felt like a major wannabe and hated it.

I dunno, they aren't for me.

Getting a group of friends together and playing Rock Band is one of my favorite things to do. Personally speaking, Guitar Hero makes me feel like a n00b, so I like being able to change it up with Rock Band... And for that matter, having some songs to play with a bit more cred. The feeling I get between the two games is that Rock Band is for the die-hard music fans, with a bit of a lean towards more popular music with a hint of a party game flavor. Guitar Hero just feels old now... They've overcomplicated the drum kit they're adding for this new game, and I get the feeling that the music creator will just be like the old MTV Music Generator game tacked on.

Either way, I need to fix my RB1 guitar. Or just buy a new one in the fall.
Which system? On the 360 the GH guitar will work with RB. Also, check Gamestop for used ones. Last time I Was in my local Gamestop they had stacks of used first-party guitars for all three systems.

However, there wasn't a used Nyko Front Man to be found. It's wireless (a bonus on the 360) and plays both games (a bonus on the PS3).

Nothing new with RB to get my attention.
Just originality..... I'm kidding, but I think that people who prefer Guitar Hero will be disappointed with World Tour for all the same reasons they don't prefer Rock Band. The most common complaint about Rock Band I hear is that the guitar isn't challenging enough and they don't want to play the other parts. The reason why guitar is less challenging is to balance the band and if World Tour wants to compete with Rock Band and not just be a guitar game with weak drum and vocals added on then they will have to do the same.

And for the music creator, I fear all user-created content for a reason: if the average consumer could do these things well they wouldn't be consumers.

What about rock revolution.
It is so far looking to be the cheap alternative.

Although, they have said they would like it to work with Rock Band instruments. If that is the case I will definitely look into it.

Which system? On the 360 the GH guitar will work with RB. Also, check Gamestop for used ones. Last time I Was in my local Gamestop they had stacks of used first-party guitars for all three systems.

Its on 360, of course. We've got a warranty, so we just need to turn it in I believe. It "works," but only on the up-strum. That makes playing Avenged Sevenfold very difficult indeed.

Its on 360, of course. We've got a warranty, so we just need to turn it in I believe. It "works," but only on the up-strum. That makes playing Avenged Sevenfold very difficult indeed.
If you want to decrease your wait time provide a credit card. They will ship you a new one and put iot on your card. Then you put the broken one in the same box and when they get it back they credit your card back.

Or you don't give them your card and they ship you an empty box. When they get the broken one they send you the new one.

Actually, its GH's hit window and easier to read notes I prefer aside from the controller.
Rockbands song library is impressive but the difficulty is a turn off I don't think GH4 will make it too much more easy. And the song creator was inspired by the 1000 or so custom songs people have been making over the years and wishing that it was a feature in the game.

I play and make customs and its a much wanted feature. I'll wait for any new announcements before i decide to get RB2.

I play and make customs and its a much wanted feature. I'll wait for any new announcements before i decide to get RB2.
Well the official Rock Band 2 Web site is up and from what I can tell the new features are basically a Drum Trainer (which will allow you to freestyle to your own MP3s) and a Jukebox mode, which will allow you to play the music without playing the game, essentially making it a music player as well.

And Tour modes seem to be changed up a bit to not have linear set lists, and to allow DLC to appear in the set lists.

It doesn't appear to be adding tons of features to the game, but content-wise it looks quite awesome.

To be honest there are a few lesser known bands on that list that I am overly excited to see. My jaw dropped when I saw Lacuna Coil. I wasn't aware they were known at all outside of the online scene. I had only heard of them through podcasts.

And of course, Tenacious D. SWEEEEEET!

In all honesty I would give GH:WT more attention, if I didn't already own a full set of music peripherals. I am just not looking to spend more money on stuff I already have.

I got into Rock Band because of the drums, so the differences in guitar mean very little to me, and at this point GH is too late to get my money for more plastic instruments to clutter my living room. If they get their DLC up to par then I may look at picking it up used later on just for guitar, assuming it is still compatible with the Nyko Front Man on the PS3.

i might just go ahead and buy rock band 2 and then get the first one on its own so i don't have to buy the instruments again.

hopefully they'll have done something with the drums so they don't clatter so much. playing with the current drums too much looks like you could damage your ears in no time at all! :P

i might just go ahead and buy rock band 2 and then get the first one on its own so i don't have to buy the instruments again.

hopefully they'll have done something with the drums so they don't clatter so much. playing with the current drums too much looks like you could damage your ears in no time at all! :P
They have been through a few design changes to fix that. My friend bought Rock Band when it first came out and his drums are loud. When playing Don't Fear the Reaper it sounds like an actual cowbell. I got mine this past June and it is noticeably different

I also bought the covers from Drumshhhh and it is very muted now.

Does Rock Band 2 have full 8 player battle of the bands? I'm waiting for that announcement since GH:World Tour has announced this feature plus 84 or more songs. Jukebox is good only and I say only because the songs are master tracks.

On a side note Rock Revolution looks like it should call i quits before its even released.

Edit: Its getting ridiculous with exclusive band signings. Metalica and now rumored Tool for GH and AC/DC in RB.

Edit2: All Rock Band instruments will work with GH:WT. They are not making the same mistake twice, if both games are full compatible then i have a reason to get RB2 :)

Does Rock Band 2 have full 8 player battle of the bands? I'm waiting for that announcement since GH:World Tour has announced this feature plus 84 or more songs.
Here is what the Web Site says when you click on Battle of the Bands.
http://www.rockband2.com/the-game
With this new feature you can challenge everyone on your Friends list and compete with bands from around the world

• Battle Around the World: Go on tour and play every venue you've ever dreamed of visiting!
  • You've been Challenged! View your challenges on Rockband.com and find out when anyone tries to steal your thunder!
So, maybe? It seems unclear, but I think it is saying that you can battle bands online. If you can have a full 4v4, I can't tell for sure.

Or are you saying 8 people in one living room? That seems crowded.

Jukebox is good only and I say only because the songs are master tracks.
Agreed.

On a side note Rock Revolution looks like it should call i quits before its even released.
If it is discounted and will work with other peripherals I am all for it. However, I do not want them to take even more exclusives.

Edit: Its getting ridiculous with exclusive band signings. Metalica and now rumored Tool for GH and AC/DC in RB.
Agreed. It is a business move, but it hurts consumers when it is an expensive peripheral based game.

Edit2: All Rock Band instruments will work with GH:WT. They are not making the same mistake twice, if both games are full compatible then i have a reason to get RB2 :)
If this is true then I will likely buy GH:WT at some point.

Do you have a link, because I have yet to hear this yet?

Gametrailers has tons of videos showcasing the new features and the innovations that went into GH:WT. It worth watching and they have really gone far beyond Rock Band 2. 5 difficulties should make it very easy for people to get into it.

They also explain 8 player battle of the bands can be totally done on 8 consoles online. And Yssman the song creator is nothing like MTV's music generator. The Guitar is bigger and its touch slider adds to the gameplay while not being necessary. I'll be getting the guitar package.

I bought a copy for myself and a copy for Heather. We played the band world tour online in Rock Band 2 yesterday for 8 hours straight. :sly: I even re-made Ronald McDonald and gave him a Metal personality. lol

Last edited:
I've heard there have been loads of problems with the new Rock Band 2 drums; how have they been for you?

I am still using my RB1 drums with RB2. I haven't heard about any problems on the 360 with the RB2 drums.

Last edited:
Well i've convinced a friend of mine to buy WT and i'll be getting RB2. Problem is that he goes to school in Tallahassee...oh well, at the least the fall break will be fun.

Ronald McDonald

Pic from RB1 but same guitar.

Hamburgler

Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite (work in progress)
uncle_rico.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My girlfriend made these characters.

Deb from Napoleon Dynamite

Wendy

Here is Heathers reward for finishing the impossible vocals.

Last edited:
Back