Rock Band/Guitar Hero - Discuss DLC, forming bands, and which is better.

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 340 comments

FoolKiller

Don't be a fool.
Premium
United States
Frankfort, KY
GTP_FoolKiller
FoolKiller1979
So, it seem like every other week Rock Band/Guitar Hero discussions dominate the PlayStation Store Update thread, whether it be discussing the DLC, debating the better game, or just talking about forming a band/getting together online.

So, let's move it here.

Anytime I list the newest store updates I will also post the DLC for these two games in here.

Here is this week's DLC:

Rock Band
  • “I Can’t Keep My Eyes Off of You”— SpongeBob SquarePants ($0.99)
  • “The Best Day Ever”— SpongeBob SquarePants ($0.99)
  • “Where’s Gary?”— SpongeBob SquarePants ($0.99)
  • SpongeBob SquarePants Pack 01 ($2.99)
  • “Geraldine”— Glasvegas ($1.99)
  • “Don’t Stop Believing”— Journey ($1.99)
  • “Heartbreaker”— Pat Benatar ($1.99)
  • “C’mon C’mon”— The Von Bondies ($1.99)

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • “Debaser” by The Pixies ($1.99)
  • “Monkey Gone To Heaven” by The Pixies ($1.99)
  • “The Sad Punk” by The Pixies ($1.99)
  • The Pixies Track Pack ($5.49)

All I bought for Rock Band was "Don't Stop Believing"

I'm always up to join bands in Rock Band 2's Quickplay or World Tour modes, no issue. I have about 82 DLC so far. I'm primarily a drummer but i can play any instrument on Expert for the majority of the songs. I'm currently honing my skill on Visions, i've passed it at about 80% on Expert but with the help of bandmates' OverDrive.

If you play with me as a drummer, i ask that you have at least 15-20 DLC (not including the free ones)...this game has been out for almost 6 months now and a little variety is nice. :)

Last edited:
I have about 80 something DLC too, plus RB1 content and I prefer guitar but I don't mind playing bass as well.
Also, are either of you up for playing Ten tonight? I've finally bought it after Sony have once again failed to update the store properly with the album option, so I just bought all the songs seperately, regardless that it costs more, its bloody worth it.

I'm always up to join bands in Quickplay or World Tour, no issue. I have about 82 DLC so far. I'm primarily a drummer but i can play any instrument on Expert for the majority of the songs. I'm currently honing my skill on Visions, i've passed it at about 80% on Expert but with the help of bandmates' OverDrive.

If you play with me as a drummer, i ask that you have at least 15-20 DLC (not including the free ones)...this game has been out for almost 6 months now and a little variety is nice. :)
Well, we've been talking with Ardius about getting together to play through the Pearl Jam - Ten album, and now that I have gone through two instruments in the challenges (Rhinestone Cowboy!!!!) I see there is a Ten album setlist, so we can do it there, or just select Play All from the Quickplay menu.

Also, now that we have the text chat feature we can more easily discuss a custom setlist before we begin playing. That's much better than when the PMs got so annoying I just began hitting random song.

Oh, and When I sort my Quickplay list by category, it says I have 170+ songs under Downloaded. I hope that's enough variety for you. That puts me at over 300 songs total.

At some point I want to just go through the Infinite 70's Challenge. I've got over 70 songs in that one.

Ardius
I have about 80 something DLC too, plus RB1 content and I prefer guitar but I don't mind playing bass as well.
Also, are either of you up for playing Ten tonight? I've finally bought it after Sony have once again failed to update the store properly with the album option, so I just bought all the songs seperately, regardless that it costs more, its bloody worth it.
I prefer bass, so I think we will work out fine.

I should be free for Ten tonight. I'll be home in about an hour or so.

I'm waiting guys, I ain't got all night :P

Also, I just checked my DLC count again and I actually have a whopping 107 songs! :D

Seeing as I have some time to wait, I'll just list the DLC I have for the sake of it:
Pearl Jam's Ten album (11 songs)
Metallica pack (3 songs)
Boston pack (6 songs)
The Best of the Who album (12 songs)
Rush' Moving Pictures album (7 songs)
Roy Orbison pack (6 songs)
Thin Lizzy live pack (3 songs)
Oasis pack (3 songs)
Some of Judas Priest' Screaming for Vengeance album (6 songs)
Official track pack 2 (20 songs) - this was accidentally given to me for free as Sony had screwed up the 20 free DLC codes...Im not complaining :D
Some of Stevie Ray Vaughn's Texas Flood album (4 songs)

and then the rest, singles:
Space Truckin' - Deep Purple
Hymn 43 - Jethro Tull
Funk #49 - James Gang
Bang a Gong (Get It On) - T Rex
Last Train to Clarksville - The Monkees
My Sharona - The Knack
Heroes - David Bowie
Still Alive - GLaDos
Suck My Kiss - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sleepwalker - Megadeth
Wake Up Dead - Megadeth
Siva - Smashing Pumpkins
Working Man (Vault) - Rush
Closer to the Heart - Rush
Constant Motion - Dream Theater
She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult
Kickstart My Heart - Motley Crue
Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue
Rio - Duran Duran
Girls on Film - Duran Duran
Promised Land - Vesuvius
Love Spreads - Stone Roses
Juke Box Hero - Foreigner
I Can't Keep My Eyes off You - Spongebob Squarepants
Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys
Electric Crown - Testament
Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood
All Right Now - Free

Last edited:
Sorry for missing out tonight, in case you guys played. I was on for a bit but i guess it was afterwards.

I'm not sure if i can play tomorrow or Sunday either, unfortunately. I've got a busy weekend planned.

Last Rock Band track i downloaded was Are you dead yet. I failed it on guitar but i like the song. Death Magnetic was the alst GH pack i paid for and its worth it imo since it works on 3 different games.

I'm Shocked Dethklok hasnt returned to these games. I'd buy a song pack or even a ull album in a heart beat.

Kinda dissapointed GHWT Didnt get C'mon C'mon, such an AMAZING song.

Anyways, Drums, Guitar :) Drums on hard/medium (getting there) Guitar on expert! Add me if you need me, i'm always up for some GHWT

Thanks for the game, Giancarlo, you could probably tell I hadn't played a couple of the Pearl Jam songs before, so my solos were a bit off, lol.
Oh, and I accidentally picked Master/Slave at the beginning, lol, but it worked out as a good warm-up song anyway.

I missed all those restarts on Young Man Blues because I answered the phone too, so sorry about that.

I missed all those restarts on Young Man Blues because I answered the phone too, so sorry about that.

That's ok, the drum fills in the beginning of that song are impossible to pass on Expert, anyway. :)

And who opened you up to Young Man blues :)? I wish i had a drum set to use for RB. I gave it to my sons sister as a parting gift when i moved.

I'm waiting guys, I ain't got all night :P
Sorry about that. My wife decided she wanted to eat before I got into Rock Band, so it was a lot longer before I got home.

You left not long after I finally signed on.

Sorry about that. My wife decided she wanted to eat before I got into Rock Band, so it was a lot longer before I got home.

You left not long after I finally signed on.

Yes, because by the time you had signed back on it was getting to midnight here and I didn't intend on playing into the early hours of the morning, I didn't mind playing from 11, because we could have probably fit playing Ten or at least a good amount of songs in. I had expected to be playing from 11, and when I checked the PSN it had said you had signed in at about 10.55, so I waited around for you to sign in again.
I also wanted to get up fairly early in the morning for the F1 Qualifying (which was also the reason I ended up leaving Giancarlo early too last night).

But whatever, we can always try again some other night.

Well I will likely be on in a little bit. A few things to do around the house and then I'll be on the PS3 most of the day.

Now, this is interesting. I am not sure what is or isn't a joke here, but an early version of a slide from Harmonix's GDC presentation is interesting.

They are obviously poking some fun at the competition (at least I hope that isn't all real), but LEGO?
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/07/rumor-lego-rock-band-shows-up-on-harmonix-gdc-slide/

lego0406092.jpg

Seeing as how Rock Band 2 on the Wii lets you use your Wii-tars or whatever they're called...i guess Lego is not that far off? :lol:

Seeing as how Rock Band 2 on the Wii lets you use your Wii-tars or whatever they're called...i guess Lego is not that far off? :lol:
If it worked with all previous songs I would seriously consider it, just for spits and giggles.

Just to spread the news:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...ition-rock-band-unplugged-entertainment-pack/

New Limited Edition Rock Band Unplugged Entertainment Pack
Posted by Kristin Neirinckx // Marketing Manager, PSP

Now you don’t need a tour bus to rock out on the road! Rock Band Unplugged, which we announced at the Destination PlayStation conference, just got even better. Not only will Rock Band Unplugged be exclusive to the PSP in 2009, it will also be part of the new Rock Band PSP Entertainment Pack. The Limited Edition Rock Band Unplugged PSP Entertainment Pack will include the Piano Black PSP-3000 system, a 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo, and a PSN downloadable movie voucher for School of Rock – a huge entertainment value for Rock Band fans and fanboys alike.

So, how does Rock Band Unplugged work on the PSP, you ask? For a quick first look at the game, check out the trailer below.

FK NOTE: Viddler video, click on the link above to see it.

Rock Band Unplugged creates a full band experience in the palm of your hand by combining key gameplay elements from both Rock Band and Rock Band 2, inclusive of familiar, as well as all-new songs. It introduces new and unique features specifically designed for the PSP, and will also leverage the system’s Wi-Fi capabilities through the first fully-featured in-game store for additional downloadable songs on the PSP. In short, your hands are the “peripherals” as you follow a challenging sequence of colors and lights, rotating between the lead/bass guitars, drums and vocals in an intense attempt to keep your respective instruments at the highest level possible. Simply tap on the D-pad and Face buttons to control each instrument, but keep in mind this is no easy feat!

In addition, Rock Band Unplugged will launch the following tracks exclusively on the PSP:

• 3 Doors Down - “Kryptonite”
  • AFI - “Miss Murder”
  • Alice in Chains - “Would?”
  • Audioslave - “Gasoline”
  • Black Tide - “Show Me the Way”
  • Blink 182 - “What’s My Age Again”
  • Freezepop - “Less Talk More Rokk”
  • Jackson 5 - “ABC”
  • Tenacious D - “Rock Your Socks”

3423489396_75389a99cc_o.jpg

For more information on Rock Band Unplugged and the Rock Band PSP Entertainment Pack, be sure to take a look at MTV Games’ announcement on the title, which was made today.

We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again — 2009 is going to be an impressive year for the PSP. For those of you who don’t own a PSP yet, now is the time. For those who currently own the PSP, we hope you enjoy!

3422682769_cece688cfd_o.jpg

I am unsure about this and will be renting it. But I like Beats and so I do enjoy music games that are just based on the face buttons. Plus, this has the Tour Mode that I love in Rock Band.

And as for the song list I just have one thing to say:

Give 'em a taste, KG!
That is Bach and it Rocks,
it's a rock block of Bach,
that he learned in the school,
called the school of hard knocks.

Different reports have said these PSP "exclusive" songs will eventually be offered as DLC for the console games. I really hope so because I would love to play some Bach on guitar.

By the way, Giancarlo, I missed your message last night because I was watching Lost. I just let it sit between songs and picked it up where I left off when the show was over. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Yes, they are releasing those exclusive tracks later on for the rest of the versions:
"The following tracks will launch exclusively through Rock Band Unplugged on the PSP system for a limited time before becoming downloadable content for the other platforms:
3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
AFI - "Miss Murder"
Alice in Chains - "Would?"
Audioslave - "Gasoline"
Black Tide - "Show Me the Way"
Blink 182 - "What's My Age Again"
Freezepop - "Less Talk More Rokk"
Jackson 5 - "ABC"
Tenacious D - "Rock Your Socks" "

Source:
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133487

Final They(RB) release some tracks I've been wishing where in either game. Warriors of Time and Walking the demon. Still nothing i care about for GH:WT. I'm positive they are going to punch us in the face sooner or later with some heavy hitters

Queen aren't heavy hitters? I couldn't think of a more popular and well known band that would suit these games so well.

I would swap Black Tide for Queen without a second's hesitation.

Last edited:
Final They(RB) release some tracks I've been wishing where in either game. Warriors of Time and Walking the demon. Still nothing i care about for GH:WT. I'm positive they are going to punch us in the face sooner or later with some heavy hitters
So, I am going to take a wild guess that you are more of a heavy metal fan?

I think the reason why you don't see as much metal, particularly in Rock Band, is that they are going for the classic touring band feel that is imagined in the media about classic rock bands. Dan Teasedale, from Harmonix, discussd that in his GDC presentation. They purposely left out any period-related stuff like CDs and cell phones so it felt timeless but he specifically mentioned the movie "Almost Famous" as inspiration.

You can see the slides and text of the presentation here (17MB PDF): http://cmpmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/vaul...yDeedsDone.pdf

Personally, I feel a lot of the classic rock bands are the best suited, whcih is why I have bought up all the Boston, The Who, Rush, etc DLC. Not only are they epically awesome songs but they are a good combination of complex and fun to play, without leaving some of us mere mortals feeling like it is too hard to enjoy, which is how I feel after just a few heavy thrashing-style metal songs.

Queen aren't heavy hitters? I couldn't think of a more popular and well known band that would suit these games so well.
Led Zeppelin.

Also, last night I discovered that you can go to rockband.com and create your own customized merchandise based on your custom band and characters.
They have t-shirts, posters, stickers, etc. and you can even get a 6 inch figurine of one of your custom characters.

Or you can be cheap and just get the free pictures you can use as wallpapers.

Anyway, on to the DLC list.

Rock Band
  • “Beer for My Horses”— Toby Keith($1.99)
  • “How Do You Like Me Now?!”— Toby Keith ($1.99)
  • “I Love This Bar”— Toby Keith ($1.99)
  • “She’s a Hottie”— Toby Keith ($1.99)
  • “Should’ve Been a Cowboy”— Toby Keith ($1.99)
  • “Who’s Your Daddy?”— Toby Keith ($1.99)
  • Toby Keith Pack 01 ($9.99)
  • “Warriors of Time”— Black Tide ($1.99)
  • “Waking the Demon”— Bullet For My Valentine ($1.99)
  • “New Slang”— The Shins ($1.99)

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • “It’s Nice To Know You Work Alone” by Silversun Pickups ($1.99)
  • “Panic Switch” by Silversun Pickups ($1.99)
  • “Well Thought Out Twinkles” by Silversun Pickups ($1.99)
  • Silversun Pickups Track Pack ($5.49)

Also, it appears that the EU store finally got the Pearl Jam - Ten album pack.

And one last thing. For reviews on Rock Band DLC I have found this site: http://www.rbdlc.com/

I would swap Black Tide for Queen without a second's hesitation.

By "punch us in the face" i mean difficult and "heavy hitter" meaning heavy metal. I dont care what the band it is or what song it is. I like rythym games and i play metal guitar IRL. Nothing against anything thats been released. But i need somehting i want to play before forking money over for it. I'll play anything for free. Yes I'm very one dimensional when it comes to paying for DLC. 650 songs on my Blackberry, all metal :)

BTW I don't consider Queen a heavy hitter, i dont know much about them. Its all about personal taste. "Another one bites the dust" is an awesome song but it would suck on guitar, bass and drums in a rythm game, prolly why we havent seen it yet.

Edit: From what I've read from the DLC review site Warner Music are really being a-h-o-les. I guess nothing is better than something.

Last edited:
Edit: From what I've read from the DLC review site Warner Music are really being a-h-o-les. I guess nothing is better than something.
Well, it didn't help when they said they wanted to renegotiate this because they feel they should get more money and then Activision's CEO, Bobby (I want titles I can exploit year after year) Kotick, said that they should pay to be in the game.

So, while I cannot claim to know how Harmonix/EA/MTV are handling this situation, I do know that Kotick is going to eventually screw over the future of the Guitar Hero franchise if he doesn't shut up. We now have two egos clashing heads.

Rock Band has the bonus of being part of the MTV world, which is owned by Viacom. There is plenty of synergy behind it to give us some good stuff, even if bridges get burned with Warner. Right now I am just wishing that Toby Keith weren't part of that.

I finished Guitar Hero: Metalica did not play all the songs though. I've only played most of them on expert guitar. The format is what GH:WT should have been but you get less cash.

The virtual performance is all really really cool. It allows you to hear each track and watch the band play. From presentation easy menus.

I wish it had Blackend and Until it sleeps though. Still I'd give it 8/10
-'s for price and no DLC aside from Death Magnetic (still cant beat "day the never comes")

Well today I went to go play Drums on Guitar Hero and my Orange symbol decided it didn't want to work for me. After many hours of testing and throwing stuff, I realized I should call activision. They were quite nice, and im HIGHLY impressed by their Customer Support Staff! They said they'll ship one out to me, and have me ship my set back to them after I receive theirs. Sounds like a plan! That was easy... Now eagerly awaiting my new drum set! IN the mean time, if you see me online, im always pumped to play guitar!

Ugh. Here's next week's DLC for Rock Band:

April 14th for Xbox 360 and Wii, and April 16th for PS3:

Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy

• Chinese Democracy
  • Better
  • Street of Dreams
  • If the World
  • There Was a Time
  • Catcher in the Rye
  • Scraped
  • Riad N’ the Bedouins
  • Sorry
  • I.R.S.
  • Madagascar
  • This I Love
  • Prostitute

$1.99 or 160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360 per track
$2.00 or 200 Wii Points for Wii per track
$19.99 or 1600 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360 for album

I wonder if they sell more or less when it is a relatively new, and mostly unknown album that they sell. I mean, it isn't as new as the Metallica album GH did, but still, I have barely given the new GnR album any attention and only know of Shackler's Revenge. I have zero desire to purchase this because I don't know any of the music.

Back