Roulette systems is a failure

• Thread starter Brand3283
  • 59 comments
Australia
Australia
Dear Polyphony Team,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to provide feedback on one aspect of the otherwise fantastic game Gran Turismo 7: the roulette system. While I appreciate the effort put into creating an engaging feature, I must express my disappointment with its current implementation.

The roulette system in Gran Turismo 7 holds promise as a fun and rewarding mechanic. It adds an extra layer of excitement and anticipation for players as they progress through the game. However, the functionality of the roulette system falls far short of its potential.

The main issue lies in the poor chances of winning anything of significant value within the game. Despite the excitement it generates, the rewards offered by the roulette system are often lackluster and fail to match the effort players put into unlocking them. This disparity between expectation and reality detracts from the overall enjoyment of the game.

I understand that game development is a complex process, and creating a balanced reward system can be challenging. However, I believe that improving the functionality of the roulette system would greatly enhance the player experience and elevate Gran Turismo 7 to even greater heights.

In conclusion, I want to emphasize that my critique stems from a place of admiration for the game and a desire to see it reach its full potential. I hope that you will consider this feedback and explore ways to enhance the roulette system in future updates or iterations of Gran Turismo.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to seeing continued improvements to the game and eagerly anticipate future developments from the Polyphony team.

Dear Polyphony Team...
Screenshot_33.png

The thing that baffles me the most is that...

For 20 years, from 1997 when the original GT was released to 2017 when GT Sport was released, there was no roulette. If you only did time trials you got nothing, except practice and lap times. If you did races you got what those races gave as prizes and nobody had an issue with that because that's how it goes. Then in one night when GT Sport introduced the roulette it became a huge problem that it gave away free cars that dared to be duplicates or not expensive every time. GT7 took it one step further and the problem only became worse because now it also gives free money that isn't a million credits every time, and the occasional cars still aren't exclusively expensive.

The solution: remove the roulette in GT8. Getting nothing has been proven over two decades to cause no whining.

Last edited:
The OP is quite right when he criticises the implementation of the roulette system. I have no qualms with it in theory however more often than not, you get pants prizes. I don't mean 9 out of 10 times. More like 95 + out of 100.

I must have gotten 100s of roulette spins and I think I can count on one hand how many times I received 500,000 or 1m credits. Something like 3. Same goes for half decent vehicles. It's either 10,000 credits or if you're particularly lucky, 30,000. That's it.
How are those odds a 'roulette?'
And out of 100s and 100s of roulette spins, yet to get the Lamborghini invite for the Veneno.

Horizon has the right idea with it's wheelspin system.

Last edited:
I must have gotten 100s of roulette spins and I think I can count on one hand how many times I received 500,000 or 1m credits. Something like 3. Same goes for half decent vehicles. It's either 10,000 credits or if you're particularly lucky, 30,000. That's it.
How are those odds a 'roulette?'
It is only a fake setup, the price you win is set before the animation even begins. And the other prizes shown are here just for the show, and many times it displays prizes your ticket level can not obtain.

And out of 100s and 100s of roulette spins, yet to get the Lamborghini invite for the Veneno.
I would have said the same but I finally got it this week.

The thing that baffles me the most is that...

For 20 years, from 1997 when the original GT was released to 2017 when GT Sport was released, there was no roulette. If you only did time trials you got nothing, except practice and lap times. If you did races you got what those races gave as prizes and nobody had an issue with that because that's how it goes. Then in one night when GT Sport introduced the roulette it became a huge problem that it gave away free cars that dared to be duplicates or not expensive every time. GT7 took it one step further and the problem only became worse because now it also gives free money that isn't a million credits every time, and the occasional cars still aren't exclusively expensive.

The solution: remove the roulette in GT8. Getting nothing has been proven over two decades to cause no whining.
Over the 2 years I’ve played this game I’ve somehow felt the same way. Back in GT5 it was very easy to know what prize car you’d receive for completing a championship (courtesy of GTP and other online resources), with the exception of the Car Level tickets that were distributed only a handful of times during a normal player’s single player game progression (discounting all that “gift-revert-gift back” procedure that probably many people have gone through during the game’s life cycle). But then came GTS and GT7, and these games offer so much free stuff that’s more valuable from an objective (Cr.) viewpoint. The catch though? You can’t see what’s coming. Yes, there’s the roulette for foreseeing what you get, but it often ends in disappointment because there’s much less costly cars than cheap cars in game.
To me, there are 4 possibilities that vary significantly in nature and the reaction elicited:
1. costly cars > cheap cars in roulette, lands on “costly” ➡️ “Okay, I suppose”
2. costly cars > cheap cars in roulette, lands on “cheap” ➡️ “WTF???”
3. cheap cars > costly cars in roulette, lands on “costly” ➡️ “Yay!”
4. cheap cars > costly cars in roulette, lands on “cheap” ➡️ “Audible yawning

Obviously this is an oversimplified analysis that does not take into account the degree of costliness of the options visible, and you may not agree with me on the reactions elicited or even anything. But take into account that these cars can be bought from Brand Central in exactly the same trim/colour, and I believe that’s why many players have aired their grievances with duplicates in GTS, given they may have already bought the same car in this colour, and the lack of customisation means there’s even less use for a dupe. Having more expensive cars in the game isn’t helping the problem much, because more expensive cars = more time spent grinding to make sure you can get all the cars.

With GT7 there’s less complaining about dupes because they often offer Cr., which is usually useful. But once the roulette lands on a sports exhaust for a safety car or some high-lift camshaft for a hot hatch or an invite for an active manufacturer invite you have players complaining again, because many of them won’t see any use for it.

Granted, I’m not sure if the reason I remember having more joy on GT5 than on GTS/7 is because there’re simply more novel things to do or because the roulette tix ruin all joy I have after opening them at the end of a session of playing. But I think at least PD should get rid of the roulette animations for GT8. At least players won’t get hyped upon sight for something they won’t get.

Last edited:
It is only a fake setup, the prize you win is set before the animation even begins.
... And as you don't know which that is until the wheel stops, What's the difference? If it was a real roulette with a random outcome, everyone would just be constantly resetting their consoles to get a better reward. It's essential that it's designed this way.

PS @Lomic, I'm not trolling your GTP account, I promise!

Last edited:
... And as you don't know which that is until the wheel stops, What's the difference? If it was a real roulette with a random outcome, everyone would just be constantly resetting their consoles to get a better reward. It's essential that it's designed this way.

PS @Lomic, I'm not trolling your GTP account, I promise!
No issue 😊

They could also save the result just before you get control back, and resetting would have no effect but it would be really random.

Or they could use something else than a fake roulette.

PD knows very well the roulette system is not satisfying and that’s the point. They hope you’ll buy credits from the PS Store when all else fails.
There we go, back down through the MTX debate....

Straight facts.
Then you have access to the statistics to back up you claim?

I wouldnt believe any sane person is trading cash for credits in this game, but I dont rule out there might be the occasional insane person doing just that - like the player who propably owns a McLaren F1 for real and just wanted to have it in game ...

Then you have access to the statistics to back up you claim?

I wouldnt believe any sane person is trading cash for credits in this game, but I dont rule out there might be the occasional insane person doing just that - like the player who propably owns a McLaren F1 for real and just wanted to have it in game ...
I didn’t make a claim by saying that PD has designed the in-game economy in a certain way. It’s a fact.

There are people on this forum who have purchased credits, so there must also be many outside this forum who have done it. That is not even the point though.

Point is that PD has designed the in-game economy around generating income from the credits items they’ve listed on the PS Store. It’s insane to think otherwise, especially when the roulette system hardly ever gives you anything worthwhile.

Last edited:
Point is that PD has designed the in-game economy around generating income from the credits items they’ve listed on the PS Store. It’s insane to think otherwise, especially when the roulette system hardly ever gives you anything worthwhile.
I dont deny there are people actually buying into it, yet I dont think the sole intention is driving the playerbase to do so.
There are currently still races available that are paying extraordinarily high compared to the rest.
To support this idea of intentional design, these races would need to be brought down in my opinion, and I dont see that happening.

It is not facts until it is backed up with something publicly available - it is only a suspicion of yours, true or not.
That is the definition.

I dont deny there are people actually buying into it, yet I dont think the sole intention is driving the playerbase to do so.
There are currently still races available that are paying extraordinarily high compared to the rest.
To support this idea of intentional design, these races would need to be brought down in my opinion, and I dont see that happening.
Some event payouts etc. were adjusted for the better in response to negative feedback when the game released in 2022:

Bringing payouts back down is not an option for them, but they can rely somewhat on the the unfavourable roulette system.
It is not facts until it is backed up with something publicly available - it is only a suspicion of yours, true or not.
That is the definition.
It’s backed up by the game and the PS Store. You act like it’s a secret to uncover. The design choices are in plain sight and the in-game economy is clearly working against players. Do you think it’s an accident? Then remember how companies like Epic Games and Rockstar Games run their businesses. I’m not saying PD is thriving on a similar model, but they are certainly giving it a try by selling credits.

Last edited:
The design choices are in plain sight and the in-game economy is clearly working against players.
Fact: something that is known to have happened or to exist, especially something for which proof exists, or about which there is information.

Suspicion: a belief or idea that something may be true

Tell me, before a court, can you really under oath say, that the intention of PD is to drive players into buying credits with real cash by a fact?

See: I am not saying anything against you, your idea of what PD wants to, or whether this is true or not.
But please stop making nonsense into facts. This is not Truth Social here.

Back