Round 05: 4 Hours of Silverstone

• Thread starter AJ
  • 140 comments
Logged in to watch this race today, most of it was the lmp cars being watched and talked about? There was some drivers that got zero tv time? Some good racing goes on in other classes just wish we could have seen it. Congrats to everyone who raced, great job!
I'm not at all the "need for attention" kind of guy but I was mildly bothered with the fact that both me and LittleRegret didn't get any credits from the commentators for the tremendous recovery efford we did bringing our slow KTM from the back of the grid into P1 at the end of my stint. Not a big deal at all but maybe something for them to look for in the next "show", try to see a little beyond the LMP's. At least Chocochocochip5 and Dangerzone641 definitely got they're attention and that made me happy.
But generally speaking, the GTPLANET crew job was BEYOND brilliant. Huge cheers to them.

Gran Turismo is peer-to-peer. The "servers" you speak of are the players' PS3s.

While PD does have servers, none of the actual racing data is sent to them. If it were, you'd experience latency in the order of full seconds...
Thank you Famine. I'm not a very techy person... :boggled:

Could "Fixed Host Status" play a part in these problems? :confused:

Thank you Famine. I'm not a very techy person... :boggled:

Could "Fixed Host Status" play a part in these problems? :confused:
No... ish. The actual setting won't make a difference - and "host" really just means "person with the ability to change things" rather than the usual host-client network hierarchy. But if the person being the host has a relatively poor internet connection (relative to the other people in the lobby) and is permanently in the lobby, it can have an effect.

The problem really does come down to two largely equally important things - whether the people in the lobby have optimised connections and where in the world they are. We can never guarantee the former and in the case of the latter - well, we'll have situations where people from the west coast of the USA are trying to race against people in India, via several other people in Europe...

I'll be the first to admit that my internet connection isn't the best. I do run wired connection, but it's still DSL. While it's getting replaced soon with fiber, I'll have to hold on and ride it out. But still, PD's servers shouldn't be as bad as they are. Even @Peelster1 had difficulty seeing people and would have to clear his cache each time a new stint started. It's quite simply ridiculous.

I run a regular DSL connection. It's not the speed of the connection, basic DSL is more than fast enough to transmit your data and receive other cars data no problem. If you are at the lower end of the speeds, you will want to limit the devices connected in your house at the time, but that will only affect how smooth other cars appear, it won't cause cars to not appear at all, the invisible car problem.

The invisible car problem comes from your connection blocking another players connection, so you can't see them. The problem lies often in the firewall of your modem/router, which needs to be opened up, either with Port Forwarding, or putting your PS3 in the DMZ of your device. You do that, you will reduce 99% of your problems.

No... ish. The actual setting won't make a difference - and "host" really just means "person with the ability to change things" rather than the usual host-client network hierarchy. But if the person being the host has a relatively poor internet connection (relative to the other people in the lobby) and is permanently in the lobby, it can have an effect.

I'm pretty sure GT sets up the rooms based on the Host settings.

Open host means each driver has to connect to each other driver in the room. This generally allows everyone to join a room, but if a few drivers have compatibility issues, then you will get invisible cars between those drivers.

Fixed host means everyone connects to the host. This relies on the host having a good connection to handle all the data coming and going. This also means that if you connect to a room, you won't have invisible cars, because you can see the host, and the host is managing the connections between all drivers. The problem being if your connection has an issue seeing the host, you won't be able to join the room at all.

AJ used to run fixed host, until the previous update where the update 'broke' the fixed host connections. I am unsure if AJ has tried to run fixed host since the last update. But since we have gone to open host, we have had these invisible car issues as the individual drivers are not optimizing their connections to the best they can.

One thing we as drivers could do, is when you join track and don't see close to 12 cars listed on track is rejoin the lobby and see if that corrects the issue. That is better than being invisible to many cars on track. It may or may not work, but to me it is worth the extra minute.
Your teammates watching the stream can tell you how many cars you should see on the track.

@Lion-Face I did limit devices connected to the router. Just my PS3 and my brother Xbox. Thank you for the information. :)

@GTP_Patrick1 I could see everyone, but no one could see me. I even left the room and re-joined. I believe my problem is these worldwide connections. My router just can't handle it. :/

@Lion-Face I did limit devices connected to the router. Just my PS3 and my brother Xbox. Thank you for the information. :)

@GTP_Patrick1 I could see everyone, but no one could see me. I even left the room and re-joined. I believe my problem is these worldwide connections. My router just can't handle it. :/

Ok thanks, it was just a thought. At the Bathurst race one of our drivers joined track and only saw half the field, so he left and rejoined and it took care of the problem. Sorry you had that issue today.

Ok thanks, it was just a thought. At the Bathurst race one of our drivers joined track and only saw half the field, so he left and rejoined and it took care of the problem. Sorry you had that issue today.
I was hoping that it would work that way too, as it's worked for me before. But it sadly did not. Thank you. :)

At least we salvaged a 5th place finish out of all of that.

One thing we as drivers could do, is when you join track and don't see close to 12 cars listed on track is rejoin the lobby and see if that corrects the issue. That is better than being invisible to many cars on track. It may or may not work, but to me it is worth the extra minute.

The problem with this is that how are you to know how many cars SHOULD be on track? They may well be other driver changes or DCs going on at that time.

AJ used to run fixed host, until the previous update where the update 'broke' the fixed host connections. I am unsure if AJ has tried to run fixed host since the last update. But since we have gone to open host, we have had these invisible car issues as the individual drivers are not optimizing their connections to the best they can.

We will try it again for QP2. If there are problems, I will put it back to non-fixed and add some time onto the end of the session. 👍

@GTRacer22 I could see everyone, but no one could see me. I even left the room and re-joined. I believe my problem is these worldwide connections. My router just can't handle it.

That is very odd because the normal parameter of visibility issues is that because the connection between drivers is blocked both drivers can't see each other. also you say you didn't saw more other drivers. Which makes me think the problem is on your side of the spectrum. Maybe you could try moving your ps3 in to the DMZ of your router. it bassically connects your PS3 straight to the internet without (much) interference of the firewall just google "PS3 DMZ <your router> this should spit out a link with an detailed step by step guide on how to do it. If this doesn't work you could try to enable Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) This feature will automatically do all the port forwarding for you to achieve this google PS3 UPnP and UPnP <router name> if neither of the above seem to help you could consider switching providers that offer a more stable and or speedier connections.

Edit:
like @Peelster1 mentioned the stability of your connection will improve if you make a wired connection to you PS3 as it's less prone to radio magnetic interference.

Edit Edit:

Another way to get better stabillity and good option is to buy an descent router. personally I'm a bit fan of the Cisco /Linksys gear because to put it into Raikonen's terms "they know what they are doing."

If all of the above fail lay down, try not cry and end up crying a lot :P

Last edited:
I'll be the first to admit that my internet connection isn't the best. I do run wired connection, but it's still DSL. While it's getting replaced soon with fiber, I'll have to hold on and ride it out. But still, PD's servers shouldn't be as bad as they are. Even @Peelster1 had difficulty seeing people and would have to clear his cache each time a new stint started. It's quite simply ridiculous.

A lot of people blame PD for server issues, but other than setting up the initial connection for the race lobby and passing the host, the servers are peer-to-peer. It's a mixture of how well your own connection is to AJ and how well your connection is to the other drivers. Granted, the longer a lobby is open, the more issues can happen, and more issues happen for more people in a lobby as well as what the internet traffic is like in your local area.

I could only see 4 people following the conclusion of each period of driver swaps, that could be a mixture of my own router (despite being wired in) and how well I connected to the new drivers, however I think what happened with me was a bit different than what happened with some of the drivers. It seems that if you're in watch race already and a new driver joins, you won't be able to see them when they get on track. For that, I would be willing to place blame on the latest round of updates messing up the game code. (Though AJ didn't have that issue, but I suspect it's because he was the host.)

In the end, despite any issues with GT6, (and I'm not just talking about network issues) we should remember that without PD, none of this would be possible (at least for PS3, unless in a world where PD doesn't make a PS3 racing sim this good, some other company did.) I just see so many people on GTP that go "grr, PD, I hate this thing you did". I suppose it's only human nature to be critical of the things you love. Personally, regardless of whatever issues happens, I am grateful for PD and the GT franchise.

That is very odd because the normal parameter of visibility issues is that because the connection between drivers is blocked both drivers can't see each other. also you say you didn't saw more other drivers. Which makes me think the problem is on your side of the spectrum. Maybe you could try moving your ps3 in to the DMZ of your router. it bassically connects your PS3 straight to the internet without (much) interference of the firewall just google "PS3 DMZ <your router> this should spit out a link with an detailed step by step guide on how to do it. If this doesn't work you could try to enable Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) This feature will automatically do all the port forwarding for you to achieve this google PS3 UPnP and UPnP <router name> if neither of the above seem to help you could consider switching providers that offer a more stable and or speedier connections.

Edit:
like @Peelster1 mentioned the stability of your connection will improve if you make a wired connection to you PS3 as it's less prone to radio magnetic interference.
I'll try what you said. I am using a wired connection though. And, the service is being upgraded soon, and hopefully will be before the VLN race. Thank you.
A lot of people blame PD for server issues, but other than setting up the initial connection for the race lobby and passing the host, the servers are peer-to-peer. It's a mixture of how well your own connection is to AJ and how well your connection is to the other drivers. Granted, the longer a lobby is open, the more issues can happen, and more issues happen for more people in a lobby as well as what the internet traffic is like in your local area.

I could only see 4 people following the conclusion of each period of driver swaps, that could be a mixture of my own router (despite being wired in) and how well I connected to the new drivers, however I think what happened with me was a bit different than what happened with some of the drivers. It seems that if you're in watch race already and a new driver joins, you won't be able to see them when they get on track. For that, I would be willing to place blame on the latest round of updates messing up the game code. (Though AJ didn't have that issue, but I suspect it's because he was the host.)

In the end, despite any issues with GT6, (and I'm not just talking about network issues) we should remember that without PD, none of this would be possible (at least for PS3, unless in a world where PD doesn't make a PS3 racing sim this good, some other company did.) I just see so many people on GTP that go "grr, PD, I hate this thing you did". I suppose it's only human nature to be critical of the things you love. Personally, regardless of whatever issues happens, I am grateful for PD and the GT franchise.
True, true. Hopefully I can get this fixed soon.

And about that last paragraph, I most definitely agree with you. I guess I just needed to vent a bit and took it out on PD.

PD is not responsible for setting up your modem/router so you can play problem free.
Good race at Silverstone today but I did not like one thing And that is the camera "crew"

As I'm watching I hear the commentators say that there is a battle going on with the GT4 class and as I patiently wait to see the action the camera stayed with the LM55.
As it kept on going I kept hearing that the GT4 class had more action then the LMP's and yet the camera stayed with the LM55

Even on the Live comments you could read negative post wondering about the camera "crew"

Hope next time they can capture the action instead of focusing on the Faster cars

Overall great race!
one should also note that there are only 4 LMP cars and EIGHT GT4s. We had the same problem...wondering what the H was happening was happening "Back There". Having said that I LOVED THE STREAM... It was like being at a "real race"....AND...It fills the missing link between the team and the driver on track. Races I have followed as a codriver or manager without PASMs stream were two dimensional. Special "attaboy" to Streamers who let us into the party. We sat in our Club Room watching our drivers and as a result we had "a clue" about who was where and what was what when we entered for our stints.
Your teammates watching the stream can tell you how many cars you should see on the track.
As I have already noted this on our Team Thread with AJ. LETS DO AN INVISIBILITY CHECK...before we start. In three other Series I have participated in we meet in turn one and see if anyone has a problem. We allways compare how many each of can see. Routinely if one ( or more) of has a problem they exit and re-enter. If the problem still exists they sit out the event. And...there could be a Reserve Driver ready to jump in at a moments notice. We ALLWAYS have a driver in the Club Room ready to jump in in case of some disater anyway.

The invisibility check is standard procedure for the MWM guys as we are sick of having races ruined by it. Sometimes though it just doesn't want to be fixed as much as we re-log, clear cache and all the other mythical fixes.
The three times I've had the invisible car glitch its just a matter of me not being able to see who joined the room after me for whatever reason.

Yeah. I don't think I have been at the start of every ES race, but this was the first time I can remember that we did an invisibility check before identifying that someone couldn't see someone else. Good form to do it preemptively.
AJ
We haven't used "Fixed Host" since Daytona.

I miss the fixed host days of 1.15... even if it was only for one event (and support race)... *sigh*

Im assuming youre using default DNS servers... try googles. Primary 8.8.8.8 and default 8.8.4.4

It may fix your problems. DNS servers provided by your service provider are usually slow and have filters. Googles doesnt have filter and is about twice as fast for me. (response time! [ping]). Perfect for your console.

I had to go watch the race stream again to get the low-down on that last 1/3 of the race and wow that was close.
Fantastic racing all day, the GT4 drivers were super courteous in giving space and I want to thank the broadcast team again for giving me the opportunity to go watch that race again, as there was some incredible wheel to wheel action.
Also thanks to the guys who took part and made this a spectacular event, I was blown away how close, intense and hard fought every lap of the race was, made it really great to watch.

I had to go watch the race stream again to get the low-down on that last 1/3 of the race and wow that was close.
Fantastic racing all day, the GT4 drivers were super courteous in giving space and I want to thank the broadcast team again for giving me the opportunity to go watch that race again, as there was some incredible wheel to wheel action.
Also thanks to the guys who took part and made this a spectacular event, I was blown away how close, intense and hard fought every lap of the race was, made it really great to watch.
I gave so much space on my 2nd turn of the race that I got punted. :P lol not sure if thats in the stream.or not, still 10 minutes away. :)

Edit: The last 20 minutes had too much stiggy! The battle between me and Fan_lawless lasted for 30 minutes, and that epic pass in LMP3 at the end was not on camera. :(

Last edited:
Oh yeah, never got around to apologising to ph7sher for the mistake under brakes with 45 minutes left, wasn't an attempted pass or divebomb, just tried to turn in too much while trail braking on the tighter line and locked the rears and lost it, was never going to pass from that far back.

Results Publication

The following are now available;

- Race Control Notices
- Provisional Classification
- Provisional Classification by Driver
- Provisional Classification by Driver Fastest Lap
- Stint Analysis by Team

Notes on Results

- The #83 has not been classified due to not completing the minimum number of Driver Changes.

- The following Drivers will not be awarded Championship Points, due to not meeting the minimum required driving time of (for a 4 hour race) 72 minutes;

TEX-36
gr8racrs
alexmavis
TOMAHAWK-TOM1
ParamorePlayer

Update #1

- The #73 was incorrectly awarded post race penalties totalling -5 Laps.
- These penalties have now been removed.
- The #73 moves from 6th to 3rd place in class.

Last edited:
AJ
Results Publication

The following are now available;

- Race Control Notices
- Provisional Classification
- Provisional Classification by Driver
- Provisional Classification by Driver Fastest Lap
- Stint Analysis by Team

Notes on Results

- The #83 has not been classified due to not completing the minimum number of Driver Changes.

- The following Drivers will not be awarded Championship Points, due to not meeting the minimum required driving time of (for a 4 hour race) 72 minutes;

TEX-36
gr8racrs
alexmavis
TOMAHAWK-TOM1
ParamorePlayer

might need a stop watch beside me next time, because basically i lost track on my driving time since the clock on the screen was not correctly counting and i didn't have time to check my own clock at the start of the race.

maybe the steward/race-control could post time-elapsed once a while?? lol

Great drive MWM and congratulations on your victory. Unfortunately, our run in with traffic at the end while chasing the leaders forced us to make an unscheduled pit stop which potentially lost us the race win. Once again, we had everything we needed to win, but our luck ran out. Brilliant driving by all the drivers in all the classes. To the GT4 drivers, thank you for doing your best and respecting the faster P3 cars around you.

Back