School shooting in Texas (shooter arrested)

Ken
Why? Do you think it will give him power? Do you think that his motive was shooting up a school was to get his name in the news? I mean, come on. What difference does it make. It doesn't change the crime or the punishment. Even if the kid gets off on it, it's not what is going to keep him up at night. That's going to be a guy named Bowling Bag Bob.

He was bullied. He was outcast. He was a loner. He loved weird iconography. So......he is a teenager in high school. Or maybe he is an adult that likes Japanese cartoons. Maybe he's a college kid. The point that I'm trying to make is, how do single out that type of kid? And by doing so, don't you allow nearly everybody to be labeled. I was bullied. I was a loner. My dad collects guns and Nazi crap. I have worn a trench coat in my day. I believed in some pretty weird stuff when I was younger as well. My most violent crime was drink driving. Why should my rights be limited or violated because I fit into the same exact category you want red flagged?

Simple answer, because people that are into that stuff are more likely to do stupid things like this. Also, your rights are already being violated if you consider mass surveillance to be a violation of your rights.

I would be curious to know when those social media posts were made, imo when people post that crap, it makes it easier to identify them. The problem is we are a reactionary society not a proactive society.

Also, your rights are already being violated if you consider mass surveillance to be a violation of your rights.
"Should all the good kids feel like they're being punished--having cameras focused on them and metal detectors at entrances--just because there are a few bad kids?"

The problem is we are a reactionary society not a proactive society.
That seems to imply something actually gets done.

Simple answer, because people that are into that stuff are more likely to do stupid things like this. Also, your rights are already being violated if you consider mass surveillance to be a violation of your rights.

I would be curious to know when those social media posts were made, imo when people post that crap, it makes it easier to identify them. The problem is we are a reactionary society not a proactive society.

They are? Because it seems like a good majority the world could fit into one of the categories that seems to be the "problem". With that, why aren't there more shootings of this nature? I mean, by the tens of thousands. I won't do the math as I'm on a coach going to the doctor. But ten of thousands seems more than fair.

I do think mass surveillance are a violation. I guess I should throw my hands in the air and give up all my rights then, right?

Plus, I don't think I understand what you're implying with the proactive society remark. Do you want everybody that MIGHT commit a violent crime dragged to the street and shot? That would be proactive. In order to give freedom to the world's citizens, we have to be reactive.

"Should all the good kids feel like they're being punished--having cameras focused on them and metal detectors at entrances--just because there are a few bad kids?"

That seems to imply something actually gets done.

Sadly, I think we are past due for this. Our first priority is to keep kids safe, whatever the solution is, we are doing a bad job of that now.

For all of the loaners out there, they need to be engaged more in our schools, isolation is a bad thing in their case. When I was in high school, I made it a point to acknowledge others when other people wouldn't, I tried to make them feel wanted and welcome. Other students I was friends with did the same things, we used to high five the special needs students if we saw them in the hallway between classes, give them a big smile and said hi, make them feel appreciated when others just ignored them. My son has been commended by his school for doing the same sort of things. A little love goes a long way and the world needs a lot more of it.

Ken
They are? Because it seems like a good majority the world could fit into one of the categories that seems to be the "problem". With that, why aren't there more shootings of this nature? I mean, by the tens of thousands. I won't do the math as I'm on a coach going to the doctor. But ten of thousands seems more than fair.

I do think mass surveillance are a violation. I guess I should throw my hands in the air and give up all my rights then, right?

Plus, I don't think I understand what you're implying with the proactive society remark. Do you want everybody that MIGHT commit a violent crime dragged to the street and shot? That would be proactive. In order to give freedom to the world's citizens, we have to be reactive.

No, not all, see my comment above.

They are? Because it seems like a good majority the world could fit into one of the categories that seems to be the "problem".

I highly doubt that.

I also wish they would wave their magic wand and prevent this from having happened. Why won't they just stop people from doing bad things?
Instead of waving a magic wand to stop people doing bad things, maybe the powers that be could tighten up gun laws?
That would make sense as guns are the constant staple in these SHOOTINGS.

I'm sure now that I've said that someone will chime in with some strawman argument that cars should be banned because they have been involved in attacks :rolleyes:

Instead of waving a magic wand to stop people doing bad things, maybe the powers that be could tighten up gun laws?
That would make sense as guns are the constant staple in these SHOOTINGS
Sounds simple enough.

So what you're saying is that because laws aren't working, that laws would actually work instead?

Because you Americans want freedom.

Duh.

Silly Americans and their pesky rights.

I'm sure now that I've said that someone will chime in with some strawman argument that cars should be banned because they have been involved in attacks :rolleyes:

The assumption there is that tightening up gun laws would prevent this from happening. That's not remotely clear. Let's not pretend that the government necessarily has the "power" to stop this from happening.

Laws mean nothing if agencies like the FBI or Parkland police don’t do anything proactive themselves. The FBI has dropped the ball twice in recent years.

Tighten up guns laws? Like the 800 new bills in the 12 months following Columbine (of which about 10% passed) that didn't work? Or how about the 109 bills passed in the aftermath of Sandy Hook? What about Obama's 23 executive actions on gun control? We have enough laws, what we need it more enforcement of those laws.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-...=AOL&utm_medium=readMore&utm_campaign=partner

We need to rebuild our infrastructure of Mental health care to pre-1980's levels, and perhaps even more. We have flat out neglected this area for far too long. I posted comments like this for so long at theses forums and in that time, virtually nothing has been done to address this issue. I've posted articles that illustrate the declining health state in the US that illuminates just how large the problem is.

Last edited:
It's all some of us can provide! So should we just stop helping in whatever ways we can?
Even though the intentions are noble, even the longest and deepest of prayers still won't make a dent in America's gun problem.

Even though the intentions are noble, even the longest and deepest of prayers still won't make a dent in America's gun problem.
So I shouldn't contribute what I can.

OK, guess I'll just do nothing about the situation then.

The problem being you're associating the two as if there's any correlation between them. Someone offering some sort of condolences isn't doing it as a means to solve the problem that caused the catastrophe.

No doubt America has a violence problem, but in no other country in the world do you see over 30k deaths a year due to guns. Whether they're suicides, homicides, accidents, gang-related incidents, mass murders, guns are still one of the most primary methods that violence is being carried out. One can't kill 10 people in a matter of minutes using a knife, machete, someone's fists, or even a homemade pipe bomb. Banning guns won't erase violence, but less guns in the hands of violent people would really be nice. I don't think thats asking too much.

America's violence epidemic as a number of causes besides guns. It's not at all do with race or religion or socioeconomic status; it's extreme entitlement, drug addiction, people not being taught how to manage their anger correctly, disastrous mental health care system, and a high divorce rate, which correlates with violence an a whole host of other issues in children.

Last edited:
“Raising the minimum age to purchase a firearm from 18-25.”
Well that’s an excellent way to surge the number of rapes/violent crimes in that specific age range.

The big problem with age restrictions is the fact like alcohol and cigs there is no way stopping the individuals from getting them.

“Raising the minimum age to purchase a firearm from 18-25.”
Well that’s an excellent way to surge the number of rapes/violent crimes in that specific age range.

Help me understand. How would raising the minimum age for firearm purchases from 18 to 25 prevent any of the 17 and younger school shooters from having firearms? I guess, from speculation, his dad must be 18-24? You know, the dad he might have stolen the weapons from.

Plus, gun control won't work. The aforementioned black market comes into play. Even if you take every gun in the entire world, melt them down and turn them into playground equipment. All that scenario prevents is shootings. Not violence. There's still sharp and blunt weapons. Violence will still exist. Murder will still exist.

Last edited:
Ken
Help me understand. How would raising the minimum age for firearm purchases from 18 to 25 prevent any of the 17 and younger school shooters from having firearms? I guess, from speculation, his dad must be 18-24? You know, the dad he might have stolen the weapons from.

Plus, gun control won't work. The aforementioned black market comes into play. Even if you take every gun in the entire world, melt them down and turn them into playground equipment. All that scenario prevents is shootings. Not violence. There's still sharp and blunt weapons. Violence will still exist. Murder will still exist.
You completely missed what I meant by that. You do realize there are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of law abiding gun owners in that age range, right? All this does is not help them protect their life, liberty, and property.

No doubt America has a violence problem, but in no other country in the world do you see over 30k deaths a year due to guns. Whether they're suicides, homicides, accidents, gang-related incidents, mass murders, guns are still one of the most primary methods that violence is being carried out. One can't kill 10 people in a matter of minutes using a knife, machete, someone's fists, or even a homemade pipe bomb. Banning guns won't erase violence, but less guns in the hands of violent people would really be nice. I don't think thats asking too much.

America's violence epidemic as a number of causes besides guns. It's not at all do with race or religion or socioeconomic status; it's extreme entitlement, drug addiction, people not being taught how to manage their anger correctly, disastrous mental health care system, and a high divorce rate, which correlates with violence an a whole host of other issues in children.

Actually one of the most successful civilian mass killings in the history of the US was carried out by a moving truck with some fertilizer. Even if you got rid of all gun deaths we'd still kill each other at a rate that far exceeds most other "developed" nations. Fewer guns in the hands of violent people is an excellent goal, but I think an even better one is fewer violent people.

Actually one of the most successful civilian mass killings in the history of the US was carried out by a moving truck with some fertilizer. Even if you got rid of all gun deaths we'd still kill each other at a rate that far exceeds most other "developed" nations. Fewer guns in the hands of violent people is an excellent goal, but I think an even better one is fewer violent people.
I'm not trying to give off the impression that a nation can't be peaceful if there's a high gun ownership rate. Just look at Sweden and Finland. They have very high gun ownership rates for Europe and those two countries are some of the least violent places anywhere in the world.

Back