Shaving

• Thread starter emad
  • 54 comments
eMadman
I've been shaving for about 5 years now and have progressed from those disposable bic razors through to the Mach 3 to the Schick Quattro and on to the Gillette Fusion. I've had a stint where I shaved my head daily and even played with electrics for a while.

Lately, I'm starting to find that my morning shave is getting to be more and more an important part of my daily routine. It wakes me up, I feel refreshed, and frankly, I love the feel of a nice lather and a razor going over the beard.

I switched to non-aerosol shaving creams (Art of Shaving, The Shaving Company, etc) and fell in love with shaving all over again. Something about the lack of harsh chemicals, the super slick lather, and the wonderful scent of the cream - just awesome.

I would love to shave daily but have to go every second day because these multi-bladed razors are pretty bad. They feel okay, but the more I use them, I find myself suffering from razor burn and uneven shaves. I shave in 3 passes - with the grain, across the grain, and finally against. That's 5 blades sliding across my face for 3 strokes. That's 15 strokes with a single-blade :scared:.

To make it worse, spending $3-5 for a single cartrige provides a barely acceptable shave for only 2-3 weeks is pretty damn expensive. Especially knowing that these blades are noticeably bad after the first 3-4 shaves.

Enter: The Wet Shave.

To hone my love for shaving in the morning further, I have purchased a straight razor. This particular model is a new-old-stock razor from Cold War era Poland. I have it at home now and i'm waiting on a strop so I can prep it for my first shave with this beast.
2514631535_3175886833.jpg

To give you an idea, I ran a hair over this and it sliced right through with no pressure. The very idea of this blade being used to reduce my beard down to the bare skin is unbearably awesome. I can't freaking wait.

I also have plans to buy a classic double-edge razor as they're easier to work with and have disposable blades

HD.jpg

Am I crazy? What's your take on the morning shaving ritual?

If I had one of those wet razors I would cut my face to pieces. I would love to go to a real barbers and get a good close shave. I can't imagine shaving everyday, I prefer to have a bit of stubble with a weekly shave on a Sunday.

Why do you shave in so many passes? That's why you're getting bogus razorburn. I do one pass with the grain and it's enough for me. Modern razor systems aren't designed for multiple passes. They're designed for Joe Meathead who smashes the razor into his skin.

I also shave in the shower where I have a little suction cup mirror. I hate shaving at a sink. The shower is much better; you might want to try it in there before you bust out the samurai blade.

This morning I shaved for the first time in three weeks. I'm not really a big fan of the task, as you can tell. Usually when I do shave it's a very thorough shave but this morning I only used the electric trimmer and neatened up the goatee. LAZY!

I agree with Mark - if I used the straight blade, I'd have no head left on my shoulders! :lol:

If I had one of those wet razors I would cut my face to pieces. I would love to go to a real barbers and get a good close shave. I can't imagine shaving everyday, I prefer to have a bit of stubble with a weekly shave on a Sunday.
Were you using a strop at all? My barber told me you have to strop prior to every shave in order to maintain a keen edge. Then there's sending it out for honing every 6 months to resharpen the blade. If it's not sharp enough to slice through your hair without pressure, it's not sharp enough!

Are you serious, emad? You're not going to get your own whetstones to hone it yourself?

Are you serious, emad? You're not going to get your own whetstones to hone it yourself?
Well, whetstones are $80 a pop. I'd need one or two of them depending on how sharp I want the blade.

I'll definitely make the purchase if straight shaving works out for me. Until I actually need the blade honed (I purchased it shave-ready), the thought of spending $20 for a honing service is a pretty good deal and it keeps my initial investment minimal.

On the topic of multiple passes, I go this route because it allows for a cleaner shave with more simple razor systems. Going straight against the grain on the initial stroke tends to cause a bit of pulling with the blade. The goal is to reduce the beard down to the skin through multiple passes rather than remove it in one. It doesn't work so well with a Fusion... Quattros are great but they clog too easily.

Hang on, emad, you enjoy shaving. It's a pain the proverbial imo. I hate shaving., it's a pain having to make time to in the morning and it's just an annoying thing I sometimes have to do.

I can see the headline now
"man kills himself while shaving"

I have a Fusion(my first razor also), and I shave about once every two weeks(My hair takes forever to grow, I go months without a haircut and it's not that long), although I am thinking about growing a goatee.

I avoid it, and look like a tramp. Life is good :D
Agreed.

I use an electric because it's quick and easy. And I only use it but once a week. Beyond that, I don't shave all the way down--I use the trimmer to shave my lip as close as the trimmer will go, and I leave it a little bit taller on my chin. The only places I shave smooth are my cheeks and neck. I gotta have some stubble to scratch and to look older, because with a smooth face I look 15.

emad, they make two-in-one stones with one side being the fine side. Surely they're not that expensive? I was assuming that getting your blade honed would be pretty expensive. How often do you think you'd need to hone it anyway?

I can see the headline now
"man kills himself while shaving"

I have a Fusion(my first razor also), and I shave about once every two weeks(My hair takes forever to grow, I go months without a haircut and it's not that long), although I am thinking about growing a goatee.

Do yourself a favor and hold off on all facial hairstyles until you start getting 5 o'clock shadow on your whole face. Then you can get a fresh goatee like Pako or TB. Wouldn't want to wind up looking like Danny. ;)

On the topic of multiple passes, I go this route because it allows for a cleaner shave with more simple razor systems. Going straight against the grain on the initial stroke tends to cause a bit of pulling with the blade. The goal is to reduce the beard down to the skin through multiple passes rather than remove it in one. It doesn't work so well with a Fusion... Quattros are great but they clog too easily.

I go with the grain, then against it. You don't need the stroke across the grain as well, it serves no function, with then against will do just as close a shave. No wonder you are getting more razor burn.

Don't know how someone can get excited over shaving. Annoys the heck out of me. If I'm shaving I need to do it every 3 days, as it turns from stubble to hair at about 2-3 days normally. Though I'm going for 4 days now and I'm going for a beard. How long before it drives me mad and I whip out the Gillette?

I am only 15 years old and I shave about once a week.
I don't shave in any particular way ;) I just shave.

I have a Gilette Mach 1power. and i shave once a week, i should go twice but im lazy, if i soak in the shower, it gets my legs ready for a shave, or i can shave after the shower and it works well too. also i purchased (as seen on TV) the save a blade system

saveabladet.jpg

which i was skeptical, but i can NOT afford the replacement blades at 20 bucks for a 4 pack. My honest opinion is that it works rather well, but it is not like a fresh blade every time.

Think of it like this.

You shave 3 or 4 times and usually toss the blade, use the save a blade and its like new, but in my honest opinion, it brings it back to like the 2nd shave. which is still MUCH better than a dull blade. and it works on ALL razor types from single all the way up to 5 bladed systems.

So go ahead and get it. it is worth the 20 bucks, and you will save tons!

still doesnt get me to shave every day though. if i did however i would feel less discomfort... hmm damn legs

Last edited:
Like sureshot said, two passes is all. With the grain to cut it down, against to get to the skin.

You need a VERY sure hand to use even a double-edge razor, much less a straight blade. The modern multi-blade systems keep the blades at exactly the right angle automatically. Too flat against the skin they dig and cut, too tall off the skin and they just scrape. Then see how you feel about razor burn.

That said, these modern multiblades are getting out of hand. I was fine with the Trac-II system. Two blades held at the right angle was good. Why do I need 4 or even 5 blades??? So Gillette can make more money is all I can come up with.

Hang on, emad, you enjoy shaving. It's a pain the proverbial imo. I hate shaving., it's a pain having to make time to in the morning and it's just an annoying thing I sometimes have to do.
You and I are kindred spirits. If ever enjoy shaving as much as emad, check my secret stash, because I probably just used it all up...

I used to shave every freaking day!!! (for the job) :yuck:
Now I shave once a week or so... if not I just use my trimmer and keep it going another week.
I get my 5 o'clock shadow by 1 pm...it's a pain :grumpy:

Getting shaved with that butcher knife you got emad is a treat :sly:
I used to get it maybe every other month but the guy I used to go to does not do it any more...he has the shaky hand going :scared:

emad, they make two-in-one stones with one side being the fine side. Surely they're not that expensive? I was assuming that getting your blade honed would be pretty expensive. How often do you think you'd need to hone it anyway?

A 4000/8000 grit Norton hone is $75-80. A 10,000 or 120000 grit finishing hone is another $60-80 depending on the size and supplier. The finishing stone isn't mandatory, but very nice to have as it makes the edge sharper for longer. Considering that a honing service is $25 to ship it to/from the person and have the work done, it's a pretty good option for the first time around.

Those of you concerned about the straight razor should try the DE razor to ease into it. An old Gillette adjustable DE razor runs around $20 and you can define just how much blade you want to expose. Makes it easy to learn on and get going with a Double Edge... of course, the DE blades are entirely different from the cut throat razor I just picked up...

Plus a box of 100 Merkur or Dorco blades will run you less than $20... and that's more than a year's supply for most people.

Then there's the satisfaction of shaving like a real man. The way your dads and grandfathers used to. With a pure, fresh, steel blade going over your skin.

Last edited:
I just hack at my face with a Mach III occasionally, no cream or water. It does the job for me.

I have to admit, I love the feel of a clean bladed shave. It beats an electric shave any time. Since I started shaving my head, for saving time, I use the electric on my face and head daily, doing a bladed shave twice a week when time permits. When it's time to get the blade out, I'll electric shave it first, then followup with my Head Blade razor against the grain. My hair grows much like a perfect storm so I am cutting my head in all different directions to get it smooth. If I had the time, I would shave my head with a blade daily.

The thought of a straight blade scares me. With just a Gellette razor I managed to cut a slice in the top of my ear.

Good luck to ya and don't wack your ear off. :D

I have to admit, I love the feel of a clean bladed shave. It beats an electric shave any time. Since I started shaving my head, for saving time, I use the electric on my face and head daily, doing a bladed shave twice a week when time permits. When it's time to get the blade out, I'll electric shave it first, then followup with my Head Blade razor against the grain. My hair grows much like a perfect storm so I am cutting my head in all different directions to get it smooth. If I had the time, I would shave my head with a blade daily.

The thought of a straight blade scares me. With just a Gellette razor I managed to cut a slice in the top of my ear.

Good luck to ya and don't wack your ear off. :D

With practice, you'll shave your head in less than five minutes, from start to finish. Sometimes in only three! I do so at least three times a week, but more often more than that.

Patients, Grasshopper! :D

I don't have to shave, though I will concede that it shouldn't be long.
Though, when I do, I'll shave with a chainsaw! (Or Fusion, but it was cooler saying chainsaw.

I don't have to shave, though I will concede that it shouldn't be long.
Though, when I do, I'll shave with a chainsaw! (Or Fusion, but it was cooler saying chainsaw.

I'll tell you, it's not much to look forward too. More of a hassle I reckon.

With practice, you'll shave your head in less than five minutes, from start to finish. Sometimes in only three! I do so at least three times a week, but more often more than that.

Patients, Grasshopper! :D

3 MINUTES?!?! It's about a 20 minute process for me. When I tried to speed things up is when I about chopped my ear off. :nervous:

I should really time it now that I have done it a few times, I bet it's still a 10 minute process. Are you a straight blade kind of guy? What do you use to get that Mr. Clean head silky smooth?

Back