Shaving

• Thread starter emad
  • 54 comments
3 MINUTES?!?! It's about a 20 minute process for me. When I tried to speed things up is when I about chopped my ear off. :nervous:

I should really time it now that I have done it a few times, I bet it's still a 10 minute process. Are you a straight blade kind of guy? What do you use to get that Mr. Clean head silky smooth?

It's taking you so long 'cause your head is still baby-butt tender. After a while, your head 'firms up' and gets polished. Soon, you'll be able to glide over the sucker lickety-split.

It's taking you so long 'cause your head is still baby-butt tender. After a while, your head 'firms up' and gets polished. Soon, you'll be able to glide over the sucker lickety-split.

:lol: OK, we'll that's a visual worth waiting for.

3 MINUTES?!?! It's about a 20 minute process for me. When I tried to speed things up is when I about chopped my ear off. :nervous:

I should really time it now that I have done it a few times, I bet it's still a 10 minute process. Are you a straight blade kind of guy? What do you use to get that Mr. Clean head silky smooth?
It was about 20 for me as well back when I used to do it. That's with a Quattro, of course. Mach 3 is a better choice for head shaving. It doesn't clog up as easily as the Fusion and Quattro. Plus the blades last a bit longer. Only problem is that I was never able to get the Mr. Clean look. I had a perpetual 5:00 shadow on my head which would never go away no matter how squeeky clean the shave was.

There are razors meant specifically for head shaving and they tend to do a pretty good job at helping you get the blade over the contours of your head. They use Mach 3 blades, it's just that the handle itself is intended for head shaving use. http://www.headblade.com/headblade-101.html

It was about 20 for me as well back when I used to do it. That's with a Quattro, of course. Mach 3 is a better choice for head shaving. It doesn't clog up as easily as the Fusion and Quattro. Plus the blades last a bit longer. Only problem is that I was never able to get the Mr. Clean look. I had a perpetual 5:00 shadow on my head which would never go away no matter how squeeky clean the shave was.

There are razors meant specifically for head shaving and they tend to do a pretty good job at helping you get the blade over the contours of your head. They use Mach 3 blades, it's just that the handle itself is intended for head shaving use. http://www.headblade.com/headblade-101.html

I hear ya. I still have that shadow no matter how close it shaves. I've used the Head Blade before. It made my first shaving experience fun. You can even make engine noises with this thing. It's great to have your kids (or little nieces or nephews) watch in bewilderment as you shave your head. :)

:lol: OK, we'll that's a visual worth waiting for.

If you want it to happen sooner than later, use an electric shaver on your head (the wet/dry kind wet) and then attack it with the blade. Do this for the first 4-5 weeks and you should be fine.

There are a 'finger blades' for use on your head you might like, but I don't care for them. EDIT: You mentioned it, already. Didn't know what they were called, TBH. I never use them.

Just follow the tips at that link I gave you. It's best to find how it's best to shave your head, and then stick with it. Never shave a certain way you think is the 'only way.' Try different methods; experiment. Your head is a bit different from your face so don't treat like it was your face. Again, once you do find a method that works, stick with it.

I use an electric because it's quick and easy. And I only use it but once a week. Beyond that, I don't shave all the way down...

I do exactly the same thing. Every Thursday, I take a pair of scissors to trim down the loose ends and have at it with the beard trimmer. Leave a little stubble, have fewer ingrown hairs... And having people mistake you for being far too young.

How about waxing your head and buffing it out for that shine?

I made the switch to DE razors about 6 months ago. Huge difference. You spend 30 bucks on the razor and you can literally buy 100 blades for like 12 bucks including shipping on eBay. I've probably used 10 blades in the past 6 months. Shaving cream costs like 10-15 bucks and lasts about a year. A brush costs 20. After the sunk cost of the razor and the brush, you're spending about 20 bucks a year to shave.

I don't see the downside at all. I don't cut myself, I'm spending significantly less money, I'm using better shaving cream which is probably better for my skin and I'm getting a closer shave. Plus it looks cool as hell.

Although, don't try to carry one of them on at the airport. They don't like that; but they will remark that it's cool that you shave like that, and where did you get that?

I electric shave once every week normally, but since I lost my job I've left my facial hair to grow and I quite like it! My family doesn't but it makes me look older, if I'm clean shaved I look about 16.

Eww.

I don't need to be looking at some dudes bunions whilst I'm getting a shave.

I typically have shaved once a week, despite the fact that I should be doing it every second day.

I've been out of work since November, and the last time I shaved was before December.

I use a rotary electric, but it's always given me razor burn - I've got a Quattro waiting to be used come January.

I use a rotary electric, but it's always given me razor burn - I've got a Quattro waiting to be used come January.
The Quattro coupled with some Edge Gel and your face will thank you for switching.

I just use a five blade razor and hot water. Heck the blades are way overdue right now and I can still get my face close to silky smoothness(even when its a nice amount of fuzz) without making any bloody accidents.

An M3 Power, some shaving cream/gel, and hot water (got to have that!)... and some patience... I look good and clean.. Then again, my family didn't mind me with a beard because it makes me look more older. --- Randy

Last edited:

You do know that a rotary has circular spinning blades that more or less RIP the hair out unless they are very clean and/or very sharp.

I have an ordinary straight screen electric. Does not kill the face nearly as bad as the rotary.

Mostly I use the Mach III for my normal shaving, then I now have an electric trimmer that I use to keep my "Chin Strap" goatee nice and neat.

I made the switch to DE razors about 6 months ago. Huge difference. You spend 30 bucks on the razor and you can literally buy 100 blades for like 12 bucks including shipping on eBay. I've probably used 10 blades in the past 6 months. Shaving cream costs like 10-15 bucks and lasts about a year. A brush costs 20. After the sunk cost of the razor and the brush, you're spending about 20 bucks a year to shave.

I don't see the downside at all. I don't cut myself, I'm spending significantly less money, I'm using better shaving cream which is probably better for my skin and I'm getting a closer shave. Plus it looks cool as hell.

Although, don't try to carry one of them on at the airport. They don't like that; but they will remark that it's cool that you shave like that, and where did you get that?

I used a classic double-edge for the first time today while I wait for the strop to prep my straight razor. This was a Merkur Classic with a Merkur blade. Ultra clean shave but I tore my neck up as this sucker is nowhere near as forgiving as a cartridge system. The main problem is that I need to learn how to angle this properly. Cartridges automatically shift and adjust to the contours of your face. This won't. I figure another week or two with this and I'll be able to give myself a mostly cut-free shave with this bad boy. And only $0.05 per blade.

2265724887_bd3a18d20f.jpg

I'm still looking for a better shave cream than The Real Shaving Company as this stuff seems to be a major contributor to my razor burn issues. The brush will be purchased after I get my next pay cheque.

I shave daily and if I have to go out at night I have to shave then, too. Damn shadow. :grumpy:

Mach 3 and hot water, with the grain.

I'm still looking for a better shave cream than The Real Shaving Company as this stuff seems to be a major contributor to my razor burn issues. The brush will be purchased after I get my next pay cheque.
I've used Proraso cream with just a cheapass walgreens badger-imitation brush. And equally cheap Personna blades. Just a dollop and you're set. The key is lots of water.

For me it's my trusty red Mach 3 Turbo (run of the mill blades though), no cream, no gel, just water. Five minutes once a week. Oddly enough I recently bought a Fusion Power and it literally wasn't cutting it.

My facial hair growth is very slow - in fact I only have upper lip hair, quite thick but it grows very slow. I accidentally shaved it off when shaping it and it took weeks to grow back... So I only shave my 'tosh when it needs shaping...

Shave it regularly and it will grow quicker and be easier to "shape".

LOL, everyone tells me that, but on my cheeks there is nothing to shave, and I look really wierd with no upper lip hair, me and everyone else is used to seeing me have it...

My Grandfather allways has a beard, but shaves it completely off once a month to make sure it is clean as it can be and to freshen the skin. In case you were wandering, he is a biker and looks like the stereo type of a biker to be honest... Big gut and a beard... He's very hygenic, and never smells which is a plus, as most other bikers I know of his age have a very oily smell, and look scruffy all the time whereas my Grandfather is never "scruffy2 as such, as he just wears a pair of blue jeans, a biker related t-shirt and a camoflage waist coat. Some people class it as scruffy compared to other 67 year old men, but I am used to some of the comments when out and about with him...

Back