The Shaving Thread Part II

• Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 54 comments
I'm pretty basic on this. Schick Hydro 5 and Edge "Orange". Works as well as I want it to be.

I just wet face with hot tap water, also use Edge "extra protection" gel(stuff's just the best), then Mach 3 razors. I probably made a similar post last time around, too!

I wash my face before I shave and I really rub the water into my face to loosen the hairs. Then shave with a four blade fusion razor.

Works as well as I want it to be.

And that is what it boils down to. Some people are happy to shave in a shower with no soap and a disposable, for other that doesn't work. Some people hate shaving and get it out the way as fast as possible, for others it can be enjoyable with more traditional instruments.

If I shaved in the shower with no soap and a 99c disposable, I'd look like Sweeney Todd has attacked me. For others, a DE or single blade is overkill. To each, their own.

1233198_657015580977631_922016422_o.jpg

The above thing is dangerous.

So most of the days:
R89-2.jpg

But actually right now, I am growing a beard. I am the tall guy:
603956_687348924610963_346492952_n.jpg

I like being clean shaven, manly because nothing seems to grow on my chin. I use a simple battery shaver to remove everything.
upload_2013-11-7_13-38-20.jpeg

It does the job.

If I want to get it all off, I go with the Braun Series 3 and again with a Gillette Sensor 3 for a cleaner finish.

£5 for a pack of 4 Sensor razors beats having to buy a £12 pack of 4 replaceable blades for my recently discarded Gillette Fusion.

Last edited:
I did not sign up due to other things on my mind. But I did not schave yet. Just a light trim to prevent from looking too much scruffy.

It's Movember, and you have to grow a stache to participate. That said, I am.

I look ridiculous with just a moustache, I show more support by letting the beard grow as well.

Now I look homeless.

So who is participating in No Shave November :sly:

Not me, not because I'm trying to make any kind of point that most that participate in Movember don't actually donate anything. But purely because I'm 25 years old and have facial hair that wouldn't even rival a 12 year old Indian girl :lol:

:(

It's Movember, and you have to grow a stache to participate. That said, I am.
More like 'you have to donate to participate'.

I hate facial hair, so won't be joining it - one of my tosser friends likes to grow a Hulk Hogan stache, so I'll give him $10 to avoid bringing it up every time we talk.

@MarcoM - Nice razor...Muhle?

I've tried just about all of the techniques mentioned here, including the shaving brush.

If you're going to shave outside of the shower I recommend the brush. Shaving is all about having a warm face, and on a cold morning the shaving cream in-a-can can be pretty cold. All that does is constrict your face, make you uncomfortable, and make it hard to shave. By contrast when you use the brush you can use warm water to make a warm lather - this makes shaving much much easier.

That being said, the best route is to shave in the shower. In the shower your biggest problem will be keeping the mirror clean and free from fog. Otherwise you're golden. No shaving cream needed - just use soap (don't bother with shaving cream, for some reason many of them still use metal, which means rust on your shower - plus it's not even helpful). Shaving takes a fraction of the time, and cleans up much easier.

I use cheap plastic handheld mirrors (not anti-fog ones) and just run water over them to keep them from fogging. Periodically you need to scrub them with a vinegar-based cleaner, and it'll go another month or so. Alternatively you can wipe it down with a towel after each shower and it will just stay clean.

Anyway, save your money on the shaving supplies. Use a disposable razor, shave in the shower, skip the foam, skip the brush, and skip the aftershave. Disposable razors last me about 2-3 months per blade - so I buy new razors about once every two years (then again, I only shave to keep the beard clean, I don't shave my whole face - however, shaving to keep the beard clean is more than half of the surface area that shaving my whole face would be).

Your sense of touch eliminates the need of a mirror. I've been doing my face and head in the shower since 1998, I have never used a mirror, my finger tips work fine.

Well, I'm glad I found this little club among GTP.
This year I'm taking part in Movember for the first time ever! maybe I should post my progress here as well.

Any tips on growing a proper MO? So far all I have achieved is a decent sized beard. But that's only because I'm too lazy to shave very often.

Keep the beard for longer and than shave to get a proper stache. Otherwise it looks weird.

So after around a month of switching to a DE razor I couldn't be happier.
The results speak for themselves, a closer shave than the old Mach 3's by a mile. My skin is also nicer and my wife commented on this, not only am I getting a visibly closer shave my skin feels much smoother.

After trying a few blades I've narrowed my preferred choice down to two, Bic and Feather. I find the suitability for my skin with both so close that I'm happy to use and buy either in the future.

As for the cream I'm using I've found that both the Prorasro and Rapha creams work up a great lather but the Rapha gets the nod slightly just due to the smell.
After shave lotion/cream I found a clear winner with the Rapha gear doing the job. As it states it's a lotion and it rubs into the skin with the texture of sunscreen. Other after shaves I tried had a much more runny feel to them and I seem to get along with the lotion better. In all honesty I think it's this that has improved my skin.

Only down side to the whole DE shaving routine is that it takes a bit longer than using disposable razors. After a bit of practice though it doesn't take that much longer that it's a concern.

Shaving has now become something I enjoy and I wish I had found this method a long time ago. @Mike Rotch thanks for pricking my interest in it. 👍

Just the other day my wife mentioned that she had no idea what to get me for Christmas this year and some hints would be nice. I can feel a nice quality badger hair brush coming on. :D

So after around a month of switching to a DE razor I couldn't be happier.
Awesome to hear mate :).

I have also drastically cut down on my shaving time from 15-20 mins to <10mins for two passes (ATG requires a careful approach), so the time consideration is really out the window now too.

I also couldn't agree more - shaving is such a satisfying experience now!

I am still undecided about Feather vs Bic. Probably leaning towards the former but will have to make a decision this week as supplies are running low 👍

i just go with the cheapo gilette razors from the local walgreens. they work. if i wanted to be really fancy about it, i'd find a place that still does straight shaves.

if i try to grow a beard it just makes me look like i've been locked in a basement for a month so i just go clean shaven.

These days I don't do much shaving, I have it done by the barber every two weeks or so when I have my head shaved (only 0.5 on the head).
The barber uses a straight blade with shampoo.
I recently joined my wife and she likes me to shave, I didn't have my own cut throat with me so I used a cheapo disposable with shampoo and was amazed how quick it was.
It didn't give the smoothest finish compared to the straight blade but it certainly was fast!

Currently not doing any shaving at all, letting the beard fill in a bit, but recently got a trimmer from my uncle, BaBylis something or other, he uses it and says it's good so.

I use the Gillette Fusion (5 blades), a shower, and soap. Those cartridge packs run about $16-18 for a set of four. The razor assembly seems to last about four years. I can usually get a month out of one cartridge, if I remember to dry it off after use.

I don't need a mirror after 15 years of doing it this way, although if you grow sideburns, you'd probably want a mirror.

Latest Posts

Back