Should I get a car bra?

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 28 comments

Danoff

Premium
United States
Mile High City
I have to drive my FX-35 about a thousand miles across country soon... and I just did this drive in a rental car. When I turned the rental car in it was absolutely COVERED in bugs embedded in the paint.

Should I lay out $70 for an ugly black car bra for my FX-35? Should I drop $500 for a clear bra? Should I just suck it up and clean the bugs off and touchup the dings? What are your opinions?

Last edited:
No.

Bras do two things - stop things coming from the front damaging the area they cover and trap things running down the bonnet onto the area they cover. Usually these are much finer things - like sand, grit and general dirt - and, through natural movement over time, end up stripping the paint underneath the bra to the metal.

Unless you're going to fit it for the one journey and immediately remove and clean the area afterwards, no.

If you are only going to use it on trips only, I say go ahead and do it.

Just don't keep it on when you are at home as it can do more harm than good.

Edit: Tree'd.

Bras do two things - stop things coming from the front damaging the area they cover and trap things running down the bonnet onto the area they cover. Usually these are much finer things - like sand, grit and general dirt - and, through natural movement over time, end up stripping the paint underneath the bra to the metal.
Can't they cause rust too, because of trapping water? That's why my dad won't put them on any of our cars.

You could just wax it a couple times so it'll be easier to clean off, possibly clay bar and wax afterwards if you want to get everything off

Regular bra? No. Clear bra? Go for it if you feel the investment is worth it. Mine has saved the 3 Series from a couple scratches as well as keeping the bug guts from damaging the paint.

Most clear bra vendors can usually offer you a guarantee/warranty of it from damaging the paint underneath as well. If you do clear bra, make sure you have the installer do your mirrors as well.

Would it not depend on the size of the car boobs? ;)

I think I remember something about Vaseline under the car bra. It stops the rubbing against the paint. It also stops the bugs and grit between the bra and the bonnet. But I could be imagining this as it is just a memory.

If its bugs on long trips just take some bug and tar remover with you and remove them on your stops. If you want something more long term and for rock ships then clear bra it

I haven't read any part of this thread past the title.

No.

Edit:

And after reading, clear bra could be a good option, though they're pricey.

Look into Zak tech it adds like a zagg invisible shield too your car (it does wear off after about a year) kinda pricey but totally worth it no extra crap that lames out your car and it defends against just about everything little rocks and dings. Plus when applied (whole car) it has a rain x effect to were the water just beads off the windows and car.

I would only do a bra for long cross country trips but you could use masking tape instead just find a color thats close and go with it for the trip as soon as your arrive peel it all off :) Thats what we do for autocrosses.

I wouldn't waste the money, we had a Chevy Crapalier with one and it did nothing but trap dirt underneath & look ugly flapping around in the process.

The hood is the only part of the car that you would even need to worry about, no?

Last edited:
I'd also say go for the clear option. If done well, it can be nearly invisible, and protect far better than the god-awful black ones do.

Car bras make me think of elderly people covering their furniture in plastic.

100327waterburyct.jpg

Just clean (or have it cleaned) afterwards. Cheaper too. Car wrap foil also comes in transparent, so that could also be an option.

I would reccomend a clear bra. I'm getting it myself and a friend of mine has one as well, they do a great job of protecting from the junk you come across on the freeway. Just be sure to have it done at a place that does good work. I've seen crappy jobs that start peeling after a month or so, and air bubbles.

They also might cause paint discolouration because even a few hours in the Sun and elements each day you will start to see a faint line appear where it meets the covered bodywork :yuck: Plus they look lame (the black ones).

Car bra's...:crazy:

I'd say no, they make any car look like crap. And, as others said, they can trap dirt underneath.

Best option (if you don't care for manual labor and a couple dings) is to just wipe the bugs off.

Or just slap a bunch of stickers all over your car. Cheap racecar and bug protection FTW. :sly:

If you wax your car properly this shouldn't even be an issue because the squished bugs won't even touch the underlying paint.

No.

Unless you're going to fit it for the one journey and immediately remove and clean the area afterwards, no.

...that is what I was going to do though. Put the bra on when I left the house and take it off when I arrived at the destination.

I would only do a bra for long cross country trips but you could use masking tape instead just find a color thats close and go with it for the trip as soon as your arrive peel it all off :) Thats what we do for autocrosses.

Tell me more about this. Could I leave it on for a few days at roughly 1000 degrees traveling basically through death valley california? This trip will take place at the end of July and go through the desert between los angeles at las vegas (among other things). Realistically I expect 112 degrees ambient temperature.

I'd be willing to tape the car up before the trip to prevent chips, but I'd want to make sure I didn't have a gooey mess when I arrived.

Car bra's...:crazy:

I'd say no, they make any car look like crap. And, as others said, they can trap dirt underneath.

Best option (if you don't care for manual labor and a couple dings) is to just wipe the bugs off.

Or just slap a bunch of stickers all over your car. Cheap racecar and bug protection FTW. :sly:

Since when did cars start growing tits :P ? Anyway, getting back on topic, I have to agree with them making the car look rubbish.

After doing a little more research I'm starting to lean toward painters tape. Seems relatively safe, should last me the two days that it'll take to do the trip and then I can strip it off on arrival. Great idea WrxScooby (not that you invented it, but you thought of it for non-track use in this thread anyway).

Painter's tape is my new default plan unless someone here stops me.

Tape before the road trip.

Tape after the road trip.

No problems applying tape, no problems removing tape, it even survived a few rain showers along the way. I would definitely do this again to avoid rock chips/bugs etc. But if doing it again, I would pay a lot more attention to airflow over the front and how it can get under the tape and peel it away from the bumper. I had to make a few last minute patches at gas stations.

Anyway, worked well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think they also make a spray-on "bra"? I recall a few guys in the Mazda club using it for road trips. It looks like crap, becuase you spray it on 💡...but it comes off pretty cleanly and easily. Or maybe I just dreamed the whole thing...

How about a clear vinyl across the front? You could get it cast vinyl and leave it on, or just standard and take it off when you're done with it.

Back