Side drafting - How effective is it with GT7 aerodynamics?

Australia
Australia
CotillionMusic
I watched my first NASCAR sprint today and the commentators were bringing up side drafting frequently.
I understand drafting but I’ve never heard of side drafting so had a look at how it affects aero.

Is side drafting effective in GT7? And if so, how exactly do you make the most of it to drag down your opponent?

I haven't noticed it working. GT drafting is pretty much only from behind - I don't even notice it helping the car in front unless there's contact.
Exactly. Anything more complicated than simply drafting in the slip stream would be 2nd level/3rd level computations when it comes to aerodynamics, which would take exponentially more computational power, at least to simulate it realistically. As mentioned, drafting from directly behind in real life also helps the car being drafted, so both working together can achieve a higher top speed. But in the game, it doesn't. The only way to make the front car in the draft go faster in the game is to actually bump it. Probably for the same reason... computational fluid dynamics gets very, very heavy, very very fast trying to get to the second or third level of cause and effect.

Back