Signaling Protocol

I've used my hazards in GTS to indicate:
1) "Thank you" to a car I managed to get past and we had a clean tussle.
2) "Sorry" if I accidentally nerfed them. As I lift-off, move over and give the place back.

On trackdays for real certainly in the UK they are used to indicate your intention to stay on the right of the circuit ie: Pass me on the left. Used same on N'ring back when we used to go.
I've only used my RH indicators in a live race circuit (Yes I have raced for real) during qually or in a warm up to indicate I am on a cool down lap or trying to find space.

Used them mainly in Q sessions on Sport mode, useful at start of session when everyone is trying to get clear track. Also if someone's slow in front of me in Q I will flash the hell with my lights out of them.

Personally, I too would say the indicators should be used to indicate where you plan on positioning your car for the foreseeable future. That's how they work on the road, everyone knows how that system works and switching it up just "because racetrack" feels like it's making things more complicated than necessary. Based on this thread, though, I feel like that could need some official ruling, one way or the other. 'Till that time comes, that's how I understand them, react to them and rule them in what little events I do that actually make it beyond the make-people-interested phase.

Personally, I've only ever used my indicators if there's a car behind me and it'd be advantageous to both of us if I didn't take up more of its time than I absolutely have to, regardless of whether the other car is actually a lap ahead or a faster class or what not. So yes, there have been situations where it was technically a battle for position, but because the other driver was always going to be significantly faster, I saw negative reason to put up a fight and let them know I wasn't intending on causing too much trouble.
Of course, in qualifying situations where I'm on the warmup lap and someone's already on their flying lap, they can be used to communicate that I'm doing my best to stay out of harms way. Likewise with hazards - only if I'm going signifcantly slower than is to be expected due to engine damage or the car is rather unpredictable from suspension damage - in other words, hazards if I'm a potential hazard.

As for flashing your lights.. the effects of that is quite limited, to be honest. Unless it's a night race, in which case the driver ahead *might* notice it.

I have no doubt we could evolve quite a complex language from the combinations of indicators, hazards and flashing your lights, but, again, isn't that just making it too complicated for little good?

Used them mainly in Q sessions on Sport mode, useful at start of session when everyone is trying to get clear track. Also if someone's slow in front of me in Q I will flash the hell with my lights out of them.
Nothing like getting a good run through the chicane at Dragon Trail for someone in 15th to be hanging about on the entry to the last corner while you close the gap at what feels like 300mph knowing your lap is currently a pole lap, and they're probably going to ruin it. FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH, MISSILES, FLASH FLASH

Latest Posts

Back