So, I made a site for downloading SVG numbers

• Thread starter 996rick
  • 91 comments
@996rick Loving the updates, site now looks tidy and works really nicely!

I wonder if there's scope to add some vintage styles into the mix, for classic road / race cars. I know the fonts never used to be standardised so there was always a lot of variation in the race numbers, but maybe there's a couple of fonts which give that classic 50's / 60's vibe without being too much of a tacky retro font style. Anybody got anything for that?

Sounds great – if you have any reference photos I can sleuth some of them out. I have 5,000-ish fonts on my machine so I may be able to find them.

Thanks! Not a ton of effort. Just fire up a quick Jekyll site, buy a domain, and do a couple hours of CSS. The longest thing was creating the Figma template to export all the numbers in a uniform manner so they can we swapped out in-game, and also export out of Figma in the correct setting so I don't have to SVGOMG every asset.

I am trying to keep this focused to racing numbers at the moment, but I do see a need for other common resources that don't make sense uploading to the site and then linking. Will continue to keep that in mind. Cheers!
Thanks! Not a ton of effort. Just fire up a quick Jekyll site, buy a domain, and do a couple hours of CSS. The longest thing was creating the Figma template to export all the numbers in a uniform manner so they can we swapped out in-game, and also export out of Figma in the correct setting so I don't have to SVGOMG every asset.

I am trying to keep this focused to racing numbers at the moment, but I do see a need for other common resources that don't make sense uploading to the site and then linking. Will continue to keep that in mind. Cheers!
That's great to hear that you're able to get this website up and running in just a few hours' time! There are a lot of websites out there that'll have fonts for alphabets and letters and what not, and those websites do allow you to type in custom letters and numbers and you could just convert them into SVGs, but it's great to see a website like yours where you could straight away get an SVG from the numerous fonts that you have and the numerous brilliant fonts that I'm sure you're going to add in the future as well!

That's great to hear that you're able to get this website up and running in just a few hours' time! There are a lot of websites out there that'll have fonts for alphabets and letters and what not, and those websites do allow you to type in custom letters and numbers and you could just convert them into SVGs, but it's great to see a website like yours where you could straight away get an SVG from the numerous fonts that you have and the numerous brilliant fonts that I'm sure you're going to add in the future as well!

Web design & development has paid my rent for many years :D so this is one of those "A few hours + 10 years experience" kind of projects.

I briefly explored embedding web fonts and allowing export to SVG, but that was technically way more advanced than this. I wanted to spend an evening on it and no more, so I went the simple route. Not to mention the weird SVG rendering in the game itself which could be tough to always solve for.

I figured if someone needs to make a combo number (22, 135, etc…) they can download the SVGs, combine, then re export from their program of choice. I've done that for just about every car I've made so far.

Sounds great – if you have any reference photos I can sleuth some of them out. I have 5,000-ish fonts on my machine so I may be able to find them.
I'll have a look around and see if I can find some good examples. I was looking at Ferrari 250GTO, Porsche 356 and 910, and old Renaults and the numbering styles were cool but quite varied. I'll send over some samples later and leave the font-matching up to you. :)

Last edited:
you know what would be great is the ability to turn text into SVG - I can do this in Adobe and used it to create my twitch handle. But not everyone has access to that. You could limit it to say 20 characters

Attachments

• IMG_7600.jpeg
    IMG_7600.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Super GT font is added. I've yet to be able to track down the actual font, so these are from @Gingerale (thanks!) — I took a bit of time to make these a uniform height (with the correct visual height correction for rounded numbers).

If I ever figure out the actual font, I may re-export them. But these should work for now!

you know what would be great is the ability to turn text into SVG - I can do this in Adobe and used it to create my twitch handle. But not everyone has access to that. You could limit it to say 20 characters

That'd be rad, though way beyond my technical capabilities :D — I've had decent success with https://www.vectorizer.io/ if I have good enough source material

Here's a bunch of images from a quick look around. I've tried to get side profiles where I could but not always the easiest to find...

Attachments

• 113-808x463.jpg
    113-808x463.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 16
  • cq5dam.resized.img.485.low.time1512143276988.jpg
    cq5dam.resized.img.485.low.time1512143276988.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 16
  • art-VIN-porsche935+003b.jpg
    art-VIN-porsche935+003b.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 12
  • bmw-30-csl-le-mans-1973-n51.jpg
    bmw-30-csl-le-mans-1973-n51.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 16
  • bmw-3-0-csl-race-car_100795015_h-1068x633.jpg
    bmw-3-0-csl-race-car_100795015_h-1068x633.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 18
  • BMW-3.0-CSL-Depnic-Coulon-76-24h-Le-Mans-Minichamps-4.jpg
    BMW-3.0-CSL-Depnic-Coulon-76-24h-Le-Mans-Minichamps-4.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
  • r-5-profile.jpg
    r-5-profile.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Renault_43334_global_en.jpg
    Renault_43334_global_en.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Porsche_910_at_Barber_2010_01.jpg
    Porsche_910_at_Barber_2010_01.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 1280px-2006FOS_1970Porsche917KGulf.jpg
    1280px-2006FOS_1970Porsche917KGulf.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 17
  • CAR06a_FERRARI-330-P4-Le-Mans-67_07.jpg
    CAR06a_FERRARI-330-P4-Le-Mans-67_07.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Gran-Turismo-Award-2021-Pebble-Beach-Concours-dElegance-1969-Ferrari-512-S-Berlinetta-wins-102...jpg
    Gran-Turismo-Award-2021-Pebble-Beach-Concours-dElegance-1969-Ferrari-512-S-Berlinetta-wins-102...jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 14
That would be what would be considered perfect in an ideal world, but Adobe and other software like Inkscape use image-trace, so it would be quite hard for a software application that us normal people would be able to have our hands on recognizing text word by word and create a flawless SVG.

That would be what would be considered perfect in an ideal world, but Adobe and other software like Inkscape use image-trace, so it would be quite hard for a software application that us normal people would be able to have our hands on recognizing text word by word and create a flawless SVG.
If only we had a tutorial for such a thing.

Oh, look. Written for GTSport but it still works for GT7.
For anyone wanting to do a text SVG. in a few steps. Totally free and no programs to download.
1 Go to Let me Font. Type in your text and pick a font. Click on the text on the right and download as a .eps file
2 Go to Convert eps to svg. upload your .eps file and download a .svg file.
3 Go to SVGOMG. load your .svg and adjust settings so file is under 15kb (may not need shrinking but can help to stop invisible decals). Then save .svg
4 Go to GT Sport website. Login with PSN settings. Click Decal uploader. Load svg
5 Load GTSport on your PS4 and use your new decal.

If you still have problems at least you can provide decal makers with an esp file or very minimum a Font name.

If only we had a tutorial for such a thing.

Oh, look. Written for GTSport but it still works for GT7.
Yes, I get where you're coming from. We meant if we could do it in the format of the website where you wouldn't have to convert it into a SVG and this and that, but I know for sure that I don't have the knowledge to be able to even pull this off, as it would be really challenging, but ultimately a life saver if we had a website where you could just download custom text into SVGs. Moreover, another thing to consider is if your text is too long or the font itself uses up a lot of KB, then the SVG file would be >15kb.

Yes, I get where you're coming from. We meant if we could do it in the format of the website where you wouldn't have to convert it into a SVG and this and that, but I know for sure that I don't have the knowledge to be able to even pull this off, as it would be really challenging, but ultimately a life saver if we had a website where you could just download custom text into SVGs. Moreover, another thing to consider is if your text is too long or the font itself uses up a lot of KB, then the SVG file would be >15kb.
The process I linked to does all that.

Text creation in inkscape is really simple too.

The process I linked to does all that.

Text creation in inkscape is really simple too.
Yep, That's how I do it too. My apologies for not being clear, but the method most of us would do is to convert an EPS / PNG or whatever other file into an SVG, and sometimes we may have to modify the SVG ourselves so that it meets the GT7 requirements. It would be great if there was a website which did that for us, so we would have an SVG straight away. The process is still simple, but for those who do not have access to such applications or skills, then it would be great for them to have an SVG straight at their hands.

Last edited:
Feel free to use in combination with my modular race plate and series decals.

I think the actual font is slightly bolder, but it's good enough to do the job
@996rick

Heres 90s BTCC and JTCC numbers!
I'm back from a week-plus long vacation (where I got to Turo a Porsche 991.1 and wowza)!

I've pushed some more numbers to the site. They include @krisduv's BTCC and vintage DTM, and @Gingerale's vintage BTCC… and a few others. Plus some touchups to the site itself.

I have a couple number sets folks have graciously sent over that need a little love. I'm trying to find the font files for them to re-typeset, but will post them anyways if unsuccessful. Thanks to all who've sent things over, it's been super helpful. As an American, I'm just not as familiar with the Japanese and European series, so I really appreciate the help.

Next on my list is around performance and some lazy-loading to spread out all the server calls as you scroll vs all at once. There's probably some really fancy way to make it super efficient, but gonna keep this pretty simple :D

Last edited:
Here are some Fonts I'd love to see added:
-Enter the Grid (The closest I can get to Dale Earnhardt's Racing Number. Don't know what the actual Font is called.)
-Proto LDR
-Chopin Script

Man, searching on 1001 feels just a bit more fun than I expected.

Here are some Fonts I'd love to see added:
-Enter the Grid (The closest I can get to Dale Earnhardt's Racing Number. Don't know what the actual Font is called.)
-Proto LDR
-Chopin Script

Man, searching on 1001 feels just a bit more fun than I expected.
Looks like Earnhardt (and all of Childress racing) use Microgramma https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microgramma_(typeface)

I have that but not the italic (which I assume is custom). I’ll see if I can find/make the italic of Earnhardt

Edit: Added Microgramma and made a custom Italic for Earnhardt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 2.32.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 2.32.29 PM.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back