*SOLD* Heathers 67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback Eleanor project.

Great project so far, amazing work with the transformation to fastback and all the mechanical work. Quite jealous, especially considering you have a Camaro to sit alongside.

But that steering wheel is absolutely bloody awful. It's a bad looking wheel on a Vauxhall Corsa with a fibreglass bodykit over here, on a 67 Mustang it's verging on the criminal. It's like giving Michaelangelo's David a pair of Crocs.

How did you get your Monte Carlo bar to fit snugly? Mine looks to be about 8mm too short.
I bought the chrome Monte carlo bar off ebay and it bolted in with no problems. It was cheap too. $27.00 free shipping.

Great project so far, amazing work with the transformation to fastback and all the mechanical work. Quite jealous, especially considering you have a Camaro to sit alongside.

But that steering wheel is absolutely bloody awful. It's a bad looking wheel on a Vauxhall Corsa with a fibreglass bodykit over here, on a 67 Mustang it's verging on the criminal. It's like giving Michaelangelo's David a pair of Crocs.
Thanks for the compliments. We love the steering wheel so its staying for sure. As we make more progress on the Mustang and you see the build, I think the steering wheel might grow on you. :)

My neighbor and I loaded up the Mustang and trailered it to his shop on Saturday. We spent 12 straight hours working on the long list of items for the car. Also worked on it a little yesterday.

This is what my neighbor and I accomplished over the weekend.
1. Removed the old gas tank which surprisingly leaves a massive hole in the trunk. The top of the gas tank is actually the trunk floor. lol
2. Plasma cut out the body at the rear of the car for the Saleen S281 Exhaust. This is only a rough cut and will be cleaned up later.
3. Installed the 40 series Flowmasters and Saleen S281 exhaust. True dual exhaust front to rear. We even welded shut the middle between the saleen S281 tips.
4. Removed the old rusty front frame pieces and welded in new ones. This took several hours and was a messy disaster. I love how solid the car is now with the frame pieces. Plus seeing the new floor board, the new exhaust, new mufflers, and the new frame pieces looks awesome under the car.
5. Welded the tranny crossmember support bracket to the floor for extra strength and stability.
6. Installed both transmission lines to the radiator.
7. Started working on running the power steering lines to the new power steering pump.
8. Repaired a bad spot in the rear driver frame. I plan to replace these rear frames eventually.
9. Removed the original shifter because it was very sloppy.
10. Removed all the unnecessary brackets and lines from under the car.
11. Welded and repaired a crack in the tranny crossmember.
12. Installed the driveshaft. Direct bolt in!
13. Repaired the distributor coil bracket and bolted the coil to the front of the engine instead of on top of the intake.
14. Shortened and re-arranged some of the wires on the engine for a cleaner look and for better organization.
15. Changed the oil and oil filter
16. Removed the front carpet so it wouldnt catch on fire while welding in the front frame pieces. haha
17. Installed a driveshaft loop between the exhaust pipes for safety plus it added a some more stability to the exhaust.
18. Installed a threaded rod for the new Edelbrock air cleaner

Still a lot to do before its drivable but we made some massive progress this weekend and the front frames were a huge step forward to make the car stronger. Yesterday we started the Mustang with the new Saleen S281 exhaust. Heather loves the way it sounds but its too quite for me. Once we get headers installed next year it will be louder which should make both of us happy.

2_1316448906_447418.jpg

3_1316448919_560639.jpg

4_1316448934_350732.jpg

5_1316448957_375964.jpg

6_1316448970_690976.jpg

7_1316448985_201363.jpg

8_1316449000_822647.jpg

9_1316449018_280340.jpg

10_1316449035_887352.jpg

11_1316449051_517609.jpg

12_1316449064_699681.jpg

13_1316449077_874382.jpg

14_1316449091_754947.jpg

15_1316449106_223589.jpg

16_1316449121_565464.jpg

17_1316449134_791642.jpg

18_1316449146_729052.jpg

19_1316449159_842815.jpg

Looks great. 👍
Thanks. :) This is only the beginning and is a very rough mock up. I still need to split the rear bumper, raise and french in the license plate, and close off the part where the gas cap used to be. It will look very similar to what I did to the rear of my Camaro with the Murcielago exhaust setup.

Man, what a rustbucket. :lol: I can't believe how much you've done with that stang.

Thank you. Yes its by far the most rusty car I have ever tried to bring back from the dead. I always say....."Its a pile of rust in the shape of a 67 Fastback Mustang". :lol:

Hopefully this weekend I can get the radiator hoses, power steering lines, seats, throttle assembly, and the shifter installed. Then at that point it should be ready for a drive. Thats if it doesnt rain.

Last edited:
The Mustang is drivable!!! Kinda..

Made some excellent progress over the weekend. I was able to complete everything I wanted listed below. After all of this I was able to drive it forward and backward in the garage. It was raining so I couldnt drive it outside. I plan to at least drive it up and down the driveway whenever it quits raining. Hopefully tonight after work. :)

1. Built the top and bottom adapter hoses to go from the 6 cylinder radiator to the V8 engine. I used steel pipe for this. Temporary fix until I get a V8 radiator next year.
2. Installed the power steering lines using compression fittings and brake lines
3. Built the entire throttle assembly from gas pedal, to firewall, to carb.
4. Installed new fuel filter
5. Installed the shifter,shifter linkage, and speedometer cable.
6. Assembled the driver and passenger seat slider assemblies
7. Bolted in driver side seat and set it up so it was perfect for Heather.
8. Poured in 5 quarts of trannsmission fluid. Just enough to get it moving. Need to get a few more quarts tonight.

Took the Mustang for its first official drive in over 2 years!!!

FINALLY!! After all the hard work this summer we finally went for our first official drive on Saturday. The car is running very well. I attempted this on monday but was having some problems with the car stalling when I put it in gear and that was just frustrating. So I decided to give the car a break for the week just to get away from it. Well Saturday I went back at it again and found out I had a vacuum leak on the carb. So I replaced the line, added a return spring to the carb, fixed a few other things and the car is just running so well now.

Exhaust sounds great, car shifts great, runs great, steers very well with the new power steering setup, and just all around is doing very well. I also adjusted the front end a little because it was toed out quite a bit. Brakes still suck since its 4 wheel drums with no power brakes. But I already have an 11" slotted disk conversion set I plan to install next year. So other than the brakes being old and crappy, the Mustang is drivable!!! :D :D

I dont plan to do much else to the car this year with the cold weather coming and lack of money. But this is what I accomplished over the weekend.

-Welded in 8 custom seat brackets for driver and passenger seats. The seats sit up nice and high. Ergonomically engineered for Heather.
-Welded in temporary crossbar for the 5 point seatbelt harness mockup.
-Installed front and rear carpet.
-Installed driver and passenger racing seats.
-Installed 5 point racing seat belt harness for driver seat. Still need a 5 point harness for passenger seat.
-Extended the plug wire for the neutral safety switch by 6 inches to add more clearance. 4 total wires, a plug, and 8 crimp adaptors.
-Removed passenger valve cover to check for light rocker noise. I think a push rod might be plugged or a lifter is plugged. I will resolve this next year when I install a new 4 barrel carb and intake. Then I can check all the lifters and push rods to make sure they are getting proper oil.
-Worked on the wiring for the Alternator. Its still not working yet so I need to take the alternator down to make sure it works.

Our wheels are exactly like the wheels on this car.

Last edited:
It has been a LONG time since I updated this thread. So here goes:

1.Lowered the front of the Mustang about 4-5 inches. Still need to dial in the rear to get the stance I want. That will involve new leaf springs.
2. Started swapping in the 5 lug disk brakes on the front with 11" slotted rotors. Thats going well so far.
3. Finally got around to swapping out the old 4 lug rear end with a 5 lug rear end. It was a DIRECT bolt in and only took about an hour of work and 4 new U bolts.
4. Then I bolted up the 17x8" Vintage V45 wheels with 245/45/17 tires on the rear that I bought a couple years ago. PERFECT fit and I love the look of them on this car!!!!!
5. I tried the V45 wheels and tires up front but the backspacing just isnt going to work with that wide of a wheel. So when I order front wheels I will go with at least 1/2" more backspacing OR will go with a wheel that is not quite as wide up front. Maybe 17x7

I still need to get 2 wheels and 2 tires for the front. But this is the most progress I have made on the Mustang in years!!

Rear shot with new 17x8" Vintage V45 wheels. 245/45/17 tires. Same wheels as the brown Mustang above.
2rcc16u.jpg

Front mock up but does not have enough backspacing. Or might go 17x7" wheel up front.
308ekjo.jpg

jb6b2b.jpg

old 4 lug and new 5 lug rear ends
5o9po7.jpg

Last edited:
Those Vintage Wheelworks look awesome :0

I have a friend who did exactly what you did. He had a 68 Hardtop that was already a cool street machine, silver with black stripes (way before Eleanor, mind you /not lame), side pipes, a hotted-up 289 and such. Then he found a '67 fastback rotting away in a house, extremely rare find here in Mexico because no fastback Mustangs were sold here before 1971 and as you can imagine, EVERYONE wants one. Sadly, the car was too far gone, so he cut off both cars and made a fastback out of his coupe.

He didn't stop there though, and made the entire car a 68 Shelby GT500 using a LOT of new old stock parts, including the entire front grille; he widened the fenders, built a 427 stroker small block, then supercharged it, and added Total Control-based suspension to which he changed the geometry all custom for the car, big brakes and all that stuff. He's almost done with it.

When I saw your car it immediately reminded me of Hector's car. Altough I know swapping roofs is a somewhat ccommon practice in Mustang land.

Thanks for the replies.

Here is an idea of what the paint looks like. I painted her welding helmet back in 2006 with the paint color. House Of Kolor sunset pearl orange. She still uses it when she is welding too. :) Also my first attempt at flames. Looks even better in the sun.
21.JPG

24.JPG

SOLD
2011xmw.jpg

After a lot of discussion and a lot of mixed emotions, we decided to sell the Mustang after owning it for 9 years. Sold it on ebay and hopefully the new owner eventually finishes this project. So strange not having the Mustang and Camaro side by side in the garage. The Mustang is going to be missed. :guilty:

The good news is I can now put more focus on upgrading my Camaro and my WRX. :)

Last edited:
We actually sold the Mustang several months ago. I just waited until today to post about it.

Reason we sold the Mustang.
I slipped a disc in my back a few years ago which limits the amount of bodywork or anything labor intensive that I do. So we hardly worked on the car at all over the last few years. Then she lost interest a couple years ago which slowly made it more and more my car. I really don't need 2 muscle cars. So it only made sense to sell the Mustang. I would rather just put the money into the Camaro or my WRX. Which is exactly what I have been doing.

That's why the Camaro and WRX threads have been seeing some action lately.

Last edited:
We actually sold the Mustang several months ago. I just waited until today to post about it.

Reason we sold the Mustang.
I slipped a disc in my back a few years ago which limits the amount of bodywork or anything labor intensive that I do. So we hardly worked on the car at all over the last few years. Then she lost interest a couple years ago which slowly made it more and more my car. I really don't need 2 muscle cars. So it only made sense to sell the Mustang. I would rather just put the money into the Camaro or my WRX. Which is exactly what I have been doing.

That's why the Camaro and WRX threads have been seeing some action lately.

Mmhhh I see. It's still sad to see it go, here's hoping the car gets finished by the new owner.

Lets hope it does get finished and the owner gets in contact with you. I'd love to see pictures. Shame to see it go.

Back