Sony Reveals PlayStation 5 Console

On paper at least, the gap between the PS4 Pro and PS5 is quite large.

PS4 Pro: Octacore AMD Jaguar CPU + RX 480(ish) GPU
PS5: Octacore AMD Zen 2 CPU (with Simultaneous Multithreading) + unknown RDNA2 GPU (between the 5700XT and 2080 in terms of power, maybe?)

Price leak alert.
impossibru

PS5: Octacore AMD Zen 2 CPU (with Simultaneous Multithreading) + unknown RDNA2 GPU (between the 5700XT and 2080 in terms of power, maybe?)
RX470 vs RTX 2070S which is 40vs100, more if game properly optimised for NG. CPU 134GFLOPs vs 500-600GFLOPs

Digital Foundry suggest that the PS5 is between 2070 normally and 2070 Super in boost mode. Maybe. With the usual caveat of not actually knowing that because no one actually has one yet...

Digital Foundry suggest that the PS5 is between 2070 normally and 2070 Super in boost mode. Maybe. With the usual caveat of not actually knowing that because no one actually has one yet...
Epic games PR said that UE5 demo could perform at same level on 2070S. Actually, almost every one in industry know how well it perform, but NDA is a real thing

RTX 2070S on a console will give more performance than found on PC. I think they severely missed on the RAM upgrade though. Rest of the upgrade is pretty big

RTX 2070S on a console will give more performance than found on PC. I think they severely missed on the RAM upgrade though. Rest of the upgrade is pretty big
They have said that the console is unlikely to any more RAM due to their system storage setup. They say its so quick it can effectively decimate the amount if pre-loaded content that needs to be stored in RAM to deliver a flawless experience.

There are cards more powerful than the 2070S, and there'll be more at the end of the year when RDNA2 and Ampere are out.

16GB RAM is the standard nowadays, anything over that would probably be overkill. I typically have Steam, Spotify, Discord, Firefox etc. open while gaming, and still have a few gigs of RAM free. A console won't be running those programs either, so there should be even more free memory available.

Of course PC will always be faster. RTX 3080ti could be twice as fast as PS5 gfx chip and probably around 1200$-1500$ for the gfx card alone. As far as RAM goes, they have downplayed it by saying that data does not have to be kept or RAM as SSD will stream on the fly. 5.5gb of RAM is used in current games. I think we are not going to huge asset quality jump this gen. We need lots of RAM and very fast RAM to have photo mode quality. Nvidia released a 5000$ lol quadro rtx 8000 which has 48gb RAM.

You don't need as much RAM with APU as with cpu+gpu. RAM in console used for operation system, not for texture buffering

Official PS5 game box art has been unveiled, it's nothing revolutionary but at least it's clear.

njhzHfJR6ugQLWMzXv4R2o-1200-80.jpg

This is probably the last generation of physical video game box art we’re getting, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Interesting thought. What would happen to collectors edition physical goodies when we all move to fully digital games next gen, I wonder? Do you just get a box with the goodies and a flash drive with the game install? :lol:

Interesting thought. What would happen to collectors edition physical goodies when we all move to fully digital games next gen, I wonder? Do you just get a box with the goodies and a flash drive with the game install? :lol:
They already occasionally do this; you just get a PSN game code or an xbox equivalent. In fact, steam has been doing it for years and years; almost no PC gaming is done through discs anymore. :)

This is probably the last generation of physical video game box art we’re getting, so enjoy it while it lasts.
Between just Sony and Microsoft, maybe so. No sign of that with Nintendo. Instead, even indies are publishing physical releases.

They already occasionally do this; you just get a PSN game code or an xbox equivalent. In fact, steam has been doing it for years and years; almost no PC gaming is done through discs anymore. :)

Yes I know you get codes for extra stuff in game. My question was for the physical trinkets that you get with the bonus editions. Like for GTS CE you get a model car and a book. How would that get distributed if all games become digital only? Do you just get the extra stuff posted to you at a later date?

Yes I know you get codes for extra stuff in game. My question was for the physical trinkets that you get with the bonus editions. Like for GTS CE you get a model car and a book. How would that get distributed if all games become digital only? Do you just get the extra stuff posted to you at a later date?
Well maybe you buy the special edition from a store and get a code for the game in the box.

Is there an official release date yet?

If you mean PS5 itself no but everything on the web seems to be implying pre-order notification announcement may be happening soon along with the next PS5 livestream event which may or may not happen 1st week in August

ps5-demo-station-uk.original.jpg

Sony has flatly denied this is a PS5 retail kiosk (as pictured in PC World in the UK) but at the same time no shopper has said they have seen it before. It suspiciously follows the Blue, White and Black scheme.

I don't recall ever seeing a PS4 setup like this, from the picture it looks clean and brand new. I guess the box under the TV is for a PSVR on display and the other is for the console.

ps5-demo-station-uk.original.jpg

Sony has flatly denied this is a PS5 retail kiosk (as pictured in PC World in the UK) but at the same time no shopper has said they have seen it before. It suspiciously follows the Blue, White and Black scheme.

I don't recall ever seeing a PS4 setup like this, from the picture it looks clean and brand new. I guess the box under the TV is for a PSVR on display and the other is for the console.

I did see one of these units last year in PC world in Birmingham when I was down there on a week's vacation but the colour scheme was matching the PS4 (black).

I think they have been re trimmed/painted in preparation for the PS5 and the retailer has made the decision to do it in advance while the shops have less customers in them so the announcement for pre-orders must be coming soon! Let us hope that it's not too long away!

I want this PS5 so badly that I probably going to forget about pc gaming. I rarely use mods anyway, so .... But I definitely need the PSVR2 or I'm not going to buy the PS5.

Pics from the production line apparently,

I hope that plastic is not as flimsy as it looks.

I mean it can't be that bad.

Anyone want a 24K gold PS5?
Estimated price to be about 8,000$

Back