Sport mode and PS plus

• Thread starter shnooby2
  • 53 comments

Do you play sport mode?

• Total voters
I don't know how it all works, but does PS+ (i.e Sony) not provide the platform to connect players who then race on the PD Gran Turismo servers?
I'm thinking that is the case, and of course it's played on a Sony ps4 and so forth, but if the revenue from psn+ does not aid directly to game servers, what are we paying for exactly?

I get it that it's a good service and don't deny that, it's not a service that I need though.

I'm thinking that is the case, and of course it's played on a Sony ps4 and so forth, but if the revenue from psn+ does not aid directly to game servers, what are we paying for exactly?

I get it that it's a good service and don't deny that, it's not a service that I need though.

You pay (well, you don't :lol:) for the connectivity and maintenance of that connectivity to other players

100% true.
Let me give another example.You need PS+ to play Destiny (1 or 2) online.Yet that game does not have dedicaded servers.Its a P2P connection.That means players connect directly to each other via PS4.Yet they also have to pay for PS+ to have online access.

I guess it's like paying your ISP for internet connectivity. The "internet" is not provided by your ISP, but the connection to the internet is.

100% true.
Let me give another example.You need PS+ to play Destiny (1 or 2) online.Yet that game does not have dedicaded servers.Its a P2P connection.That means players connect directly to each other via PS4.Yet they also have to pay for PS+ to have online access.
Do you know how gt5p matching used to work? Pretty much PD would direct hosting to a single player, not sure what that is called because I gave up on keeping up with tech many years ago but I do know very surely that a player with the most solid connection was actually the host of the race.

Funny stuff, I had a friend in Germany with a super connection, it was crazy fast and back then we had to pick times to enter races in hopes of matching with one another. I always knew when he was on and on the schedule because my loading bar would flash before my eyes.

I called it the pipe. :lol:

Do you know how gt5p matching used to work? Pretty much PD would direct hosting to a single player, not sure what that is called because I gave up on keeping up with tech many years ago but I do know very surely that a player with the most solid connection was actually the host of the race.

Funny stuff, I had a friend in Germany with a super connection, it was crazy fast and back then we had to pick times to enter races in hopes of matching with one another. I always knew when he was on and on the schedule because my loading bar would flash before my eyes.

I called it the pipe. :lol:

I think (not sure) that GT5 was P2P connection based.So that would explain why the member with the best connection would be the "host" of the lobby.Also because of that he would have an advantage against other players.

noun
noun: advantage; plural noun: advantages
a condition or circumstance that puts one in a favourable or superior position.
Ok, fair enough, what advantage would there be? I was talking about 5p, iirc the grid was random and we all had the same chance to win?

Yeap.In every P2P connection the host has an advantage over other people.Example:lets say you are racing side by side.And there is a car parked after taking corner A.He would see that car before you see it giving him more time to react than you have.
Also P2P connection can create huge lag problems since the latency and ping could sky rocket.

PS plus is more than just getting to play online. It also includes downloadable games (as long as you're a subscriber) and hefty discounts on games. Also it allows you to take part in early betas.

Yeap.In every P2P connection the host has an advantage over other people.Example:lets say you are racing side by side.And there is a car parked after taking corner A.He would see that car before you see it giving him more time to react than you have.
Also P2P connection can create huge lag problems since the latency and ping could sky rocket.

I have a hard time believing that but so what, I just know how it used to be and that was before mandatory payment, gt5 was free as well and that system was not used. I never noticed a difference, a funny thing is though that all the complaints of how 5p was ran once it was gone gt5 seemed bland to most of my friends.

I think there is another account in that PS4 that has PS plus.If not then you are not....

There definitely is, no way to play online without PS Plus.

Unless he's a liar of course, that's possible too I guess.

As I've said, i don't own a ps+ subscription. I account share with my brother and he buys + ;) - I never said I don't have ps+ on my system - I said I don't own a subscription and I still play GT Sport online so I'm 100% correct and not lying one bit.

Fact is: I have not subscribed to PS+ personally and yet I can participate in GTS's online sport mode.

Let me correct you @ASH32 , there is no way to play online -on a PS4- without PS+, you can most definitely play online without PS+, on a PS3.

As I've said, i don't own a ps+ subscription. I account share with my brother and he buys + ;) - I never said I don't have ps+ on my system - I said I don't own a subscription and I still play GT Sport online.

Still requires ps+ to play online, you just mooch off of your brothers account.

Still requires ps+ to play online, you just mooch off of your brothers account.

Well, DUH. But you miss my point.

Point is: my account does not have + and yet I can enter online sport mode (because the other master account has + on it, duh).

Point is: my account does not have + and yet I can enter online sport mode (because the other master account has + on it, duh).

My brother does the same. My account is linked to his ps4 and is my primary ps4. That way we share digital games and services (PS plus and PS now)

In a topic that we discuss that PS+ is mandatory in order to play GTS online or other games you posted :

"I dont have PS+ but I do have access" when in reality that PS4 system has PS+ and because of that you can play GTS Sport mode.So actually you made no point at all,just posted something for the sake of it.

In a topic that we discuss that PS+ is mandatory in order to play GTS online or other games you posted :

"I dont have PS+ but I do have access" when in reality that PS4 system has PS+ and because of that you can play GTS Sport mode.So actually you made no point at all,just posted something for the sake of it.

Whatever floats your boat dude.

My point has been made, you're just too stubborn to see it.

You do not need PS+ on the account you want to use to play GTSport online but you do need PS+ on the system you're using.

Not everyone knows when you have PS+ on the master account, it enables all other accounts to play online.

Edit: removed typos

Last edited:
Back