Star Wars: Force Unleashed • The Official Thread

• Thread starter DuckRacer
  • 44 comments

DuckRacer

Premium
New Gametrailers clip.

And here's an article (although old):
May 10, 2006 - While LucasArts was showing us what was up with its highly-promising Indiana Jones demo prior to the kick-off of E3 this year, its reps had a surprise for us. "Nobody outside the company has seen this yet," proclaimed the team as it walked us up to the second floor of its newly-created facility in the Presidio. "This is the big secret we've been waiting to reveal behind closed doors at the show."

You have to admit, that with a setup like that it's hard not to get curious about what one is about to see. Throw in another element, though -- a carefully shielded walk past the Indiana Jones development team towards another crew that knew you were coming and hid or flipped any and all design documents and artwork in anticipation of your arrival -- and the snooping factor gets that much more intense. "What is it that everyone is so secretive about, anyway?" we wondered.

The answer, in the simplest terms, is pretty much what you'd expect -- it's a new Star Wars game slated for multiple next-generation systems that should appear sometime in the future (2007/ 2008 or so). The kind of Star Wars game that it is, however, isn't what you'd expect at all. The early demo on display wasn't a current-gen game with hi-res graphics and a new coat of paint -- it was much more advanced than that and it left Juan and I (the only journalists in the world to see the thing as of this writing) wanting a whole lot more.

So what is it? Right now the game is known only as Star Wars, but the team members in the demo room (and there were a lot of them in there) kept referring to their new technology as the "Force Unleashed," so that's the term we're going with until we hear otherwise. This unleashed force was first shown to us via pre-prepared movie. Using some good editing and that classic John Williams score, the segment treated us to all manner of cool physical moments -- A Jedi force-pushes a couple of stormtroopers off an elevated platform (taking all the debris and objects around them along for the ride); a second Jedi leapt high into the air and slammed down to the ground with so much force that it created an enormous shockwave that knocked his enemies back with reckless abandon; another Jedi used his force powers to lift multiple stormtroopers in the air, and as they float about in different directions, their blasters fire off as they float helplessly in the sky... moments like those really had us interested, to say the least.

But that wasn't the most impressive moment. That honor belongs to the following scenario: a single stormtrooper investigates a shambled mess while wondering aloud what could have caused it. Then out of nowhere, a Jedi appears and raises the trooper off the ground with his force powers and slams him into the ground. As the Stormtrooper screams, the Jedi repeats his actions and then by the third lift crashes the armored clone horizontally into the bulkhead of a wrecked ship. In pain, the trooper tries his hardest to make the Jedi stop by grabbing onto a piece of metal protruding from the spacecraft... only to be pulled off of it (ship metal still in hand) for one final death blow. As this is happening, an Imperial TIE Fighter soars out of the sky firing at the Jedi -- and it's then that the stormtrooper is used as a human projectile and is thrown at the fighter causing a huge explosion. It was a great way to end the movie.

Afterward, the Lucas team turned our attention to a new Plasma screen located next to the one that showed the trailer. This was to be where most of our time was spent, and where the real-time demo that was about to be given would really win us over. Before it started, however, the LucasArts guys introduced us to Pixelux Entertainment, an animation and interactive technology house that has been working closely with George's videogame branch on the tools that power the next Star Wars game. Used as a companion to NaturalMotion's endorphin AI-based animation tech (the same stuff used in the upcoming Indy game), Pixelux's own "Digital Molecular Matter (DMM)" asset technology really steals the show.

What does DMM do exactly? In the most basic of terms, it simplifies one of the most expensive and time-consuming aspects of videogame production by automating art asset generation. LucasArts and Pixelux claim that the technology will save thousands of man-hours by allowing multiple game assets to be auto-generated from a single mold. Physics, material destructibility, and object fracture are built-in as well, and not only does the tech take advantage of multi-processor hardware, but it can also be used with multiple existing Asset production pipelines.

The good news is that we saw this for ourselves time and time again. Our demo began in the corridors of a ship where two plywood boards sat undisturbed. The first board on the left represented the old way of doing object damage and material simulation, while the board on the right represented DMM. Right off the bat, an R2-D2 unit was hurled at the old board and in rather last-gen fashion it broke apart in a predictable canned manner. But then R2 was thrown at the new plywood board and it reacted exactly like boards we seen in real life do -- It splintered in multiple spots. But just as it works in the physical world, the splinters and damage to the board reacted to multiple things: the weight of the object thrown at it, its velocity, the distance of that object, and its direction all change the way the board reacts. This was shown to us over and over again with multiple boards, and proving the technology's value, was instantly reset (no load times at all) whenever the developers wanted.

As we moved through the room, more physical and material reactions were shown to us using different elements. A stone statue with a crystal base was destroyed and manipulated, a pane of glass with Rebel attack plans was shattered, and various types of woods all reacted differently to the abuse that LucasArts was giving them. The funniest moment by far, though, was when we stumbled upon Jar Jar Binks frozen in carbonite. Not only was it a hilarious image, but it also allowed us to see what the engine could really do. Metal was bending and denting exactly as it was supposed to when struck; on-the-fly changes to other materials like rubber, crystal, ice, and jelly also brought about real-world reactions, and none of these results were scarified the framerate, lighting, or other visual goodies on bit.

The next room was a huge Jedi natural history museum with an enormous Rancor skeleton at its center. Again, the bones of the Rancor reacted just as you'd expect them to (as did the materials around it), and the game's attention to physics really showed off its stuff (we got a quick NaturalMotion AI display here as stormtroopers dangled and fought to maintain position as they fell from high places). What's interesting here is that because materials react so realistically, models have to be built like real-world objects are built too. Once the Rancor was turned to rubber, for instance, its physical properties didn't allow it to support its own weight -- something that bones have no problem doing.

Our favorite section of the entire demo, though, was easily the final pit stop. As we moved through the end of the museum and broke through a stained glass window, it was revealed that we were on the planet of Felucia -- the same world where Aayla Secura (aka Hottie McBlue Boobs) was taken out near the end of Episode III. The amazing thing was that the world was recreated perfectly. Pollen swooshed through the air, flora swayed in the breeze and reacted to provocation, a star Destroyed flew through the sky, and little touches like glistening dew and other such effects made the world feel all the more real (at a very high resolution I might add). LucasArts even claimed that this world proves that LOD was a thing of the past -- as it has incorporated real-time object smoothing as part of the engine.

Unfortunately, that's all we got to see of Star Wars before the demo was over (though we did get to watch that trailer again), but it didn't leave us any less impressed. It's still more than a year or so out (maybe longer) before hitting the retail shelves, so there's a lot of work left to be done. Of course, that just leaves us with plenty of questions -- what kind of a game will it be? What's the story all about? What kind of powers will we have? At least we know one thing -- one of the Jedi powers that the team plans to include for the next iteration is the ability to destroy something from the inside out. Now that's awesome!

Expect more in the coming months.
Looks very interesting.

boo...oo. it stinks:scared:

Just kidding:dopey:

Looks really interesting:tup: , hey, think of tilt controler, you know, throwing dudes by shaking your controller:idea: that would be really cool IMO

New details.

CVG
LucasArts' physics-powered Jedi killer revealed
Monday 12-Feb-2007 11:48 AM Next-gen Star Wars revealed for PS3 and 360, PS2 and handheld versions also in the works
16 Comments

The first details of LucasArts' PS3 and Xbox 360 Star Wars project have finally emerged, from the latest issue of US mag Game Informer.

It's called Star Wars: Force Unleashed and takes place between Episode III and Episode IV, when new Sith on the block Darth Vader is out to wipe the galaxy clean of runaway Jedi.

As Vader's apprentice, you're on a secret mission to dive head-first into the forbidden Dark Side of the force, take out the emperor and rule the galaxy as master and apprentice. Awww.

Xbox 360 and PS3 versions are being developed in-house at Lucasarts, while PS2, PSP and DS duties have been outsourced to another, unnamed developer.

George Lucas reportedly has a lot of input in the project, and even helped design some of the characters.

Force Unleashed uses LucasArts' much-touted Eurphoria engine, which calculates environmental damage such as smashing crates in real-time. One given example of the tech is how a tree will either break in two or splinter realistically depending on how you hit it. Likewise, steel will dent appropriately when damaged your fancy Force powers.

And speaking of Force powers, many of the world-bending tricks from the E3 tech demo are present in Force Unleashed, including the "cannon ball"-like force push, with controls presented in a similar vein to the excellent Psi-Ops.

One scene reportedly has you battling Jedi Knight Shaak Ti in the Jedi Temple, after the galaxy-wide order to exterminate of the Jedi. There's also the suggestion of being able to control your own pack of Rancors, the gigantic beasties that Jabba the Hutt likes to keep under his gaff.

But we all know how Star Wars ends so it's going to be a very predictable ****-up for Vadar's Palpatine-trouncing plans, right? LucasArts promises to shake up the Star Wars lore with alternate endings in Unleashed, where the bad guys really can win.

We'll bring you more details - and hopefully media - as it arrives. Where's the Wii version though? Perfect for the Wii Remote...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=157734

New E3 '07 trailer. When you see the first part of the trailer... you will crap your pants. You know that concept art where the apprentice is pulling down a Star Destroyer? Well, that happens. You better get some clean underwear.

1205_0002.jpg

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/

I've been following the game for a while, and I can't wait (what can I say, I love Star Wars...). It has been my understanding that you are Darth Vader's secret apprentice, and while you are sent out on secret missions by DV, you must decide how you want to tackle it... This obviously takes place between Episode 3 and 4, and apparently will set-up part of the story for Episode 4 (and presumably the television show as well).

It looks like fun. Assuming the levels have a somewhat open-world feel to them (ala Hulk Destruction), it should be a blast throwing people around and such.

Thanks for the link & Info Duck, that looked amazing. I especially was impressed with the explantion and demonstartion of how Pixelux's Digital Molecular Matter and NaturalMotion's euphoria technologies are being applied to this game:

The New Technology of The Force Unleashed

With The Force Unleashed, LucasArts not only introduces a new chapter in the Star Wars saga, but also two completely new and innovative technologies -- Digital Molecular Matter by Pixelux Entertainment and euphoria by NaturalMotion Ltd. These groundbreaking technologies combine with Havoc physics to create true next-gen gameplay and the Force like it's never been seen or experienced before.

Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) by Pixelux Entertainment

What is DMM?
DMM -- exclusive to LucasArts for any game releases through September 2008 -- brings an unprecedented level of realism to the new generation of consoles by making completely interactive environments that react as they would in real life. From crumbling walls to shattering glass and even swaying organic plant life, in-game objects have material properties that behave realistically all in real time and without using a single frame of animation.

If a structure exists -- big or small, dense or thin, floppy or rigid -- DMM causes it to react in the same way dictated by reality. For example, unlike what you'd see in games of the previous generation, wood doesn't simply break apart along a predetermined seam every time -- rather, it splinters into countless pieces from the exact point of impact, also taking into account the amount of sheer force exerted. The same rules apply to any substance imaginable: Rubber bends and snaps back into place. Glass shatters. Crystal fractures. Stone crumbles. Carbonite (yes, the very alloy that encased Han Solo) dents.

How does it benefit The Force Unleashed?
With DMM in action, a Jedi unleashes the Force like never before. His violent Force push hurtles a helpless stormtrooper through a stone column, blasting it apart. Moments later, the sudden lack of support causes the building to smash to the ground, piece by piece. Meanwhile, a virtual Jabba the Hutt presides over his court, as rolls of gelatinous fat bounce and jiggle thanks to a body composed of DMM.

euphoria by NaturalMotion Ltd.

What is euphoria?
A revolutionary behavioral-simulation engine, euphoria simulates the unpredictability of real life where no two experiences are ever the same. For the first time ever, euphoria enables interactive characters to move, act and even think like actual human beings, adapting their behavior on the fly and resulting in a different payoff ever single time.

How does it benefit The Force Unleashed?
Imagine a simple Force push aimed at stormtroopers on a narrow bridge. With euphoria in action, characters visibly attempt to balance themselves: Their feet stumble, their arms flail, and their hands reach for security as the force exuded toward them threatens to send them plummeting to their doom. Perhaps they all survive. Perhaps they all fall. The use of euphoria means the action isn't scripted -- it's simulated -- so you'll never be able to predict exactly what will happen, no matter how many times you've experienced a certain scenario.

You can watch the demos by clicking on "Game Info" in the header tool bar, then click on "Tech Info" in the drop down window, and you'll see the two video demonstartions.

Demo released today, as a big star wars fan downloaded it in an instant.

OH MY GOD! Amazing! Graphics are superb, gameplay brilliant, controls took a bit of getting used to btu are actually very good, very fun game, cannot wait for this to come out!

*orders replica lightsaber*

I really liked it too. I played it on PS3 though. A lot of people are saying it sucks, but I had a ton of fun with it and will be picking it up for sure when it is released.

I absolutely loved it, and to be honest, even as a demo it feels like one of the best games I've played. The physics are amazing, the graphics are beautiful, but if I have only one complaint... The controls need to be "tightened up" just a bit. Only a little bit, but it would help.

BTW:

That little trailer at the end? The people who showed up in there? Hell yes! I can't wait to see how this expands the universe!

BTW:

That little trailer at the end? The people who showed up in there? Hell yes! I can't wait to see how this expands the universe!

With you on that one, this is gonna be one helll of a story, im sure I caught a glimpse of Leia and Bail Organa.

Wow! Gotta say I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but this was pretty awesome. Sooooo reminds me of PSI Ops too. I couldn't find any info on it, but will it have online co-op or co-op!? I'm thinking of co-op like in Halo 3 where you can go into an online multiplayer game with two people on one system. If so I'm soooooooooo playing this. My Best friend will probably definitely get this game. I think I'll talk him into get this over Too Human as well. 👍

I downloaded the demo and I wasn't that impressed. The character animation looks a bit too fast and I think it will become repetative very quickly.

The demo was good but I will probably just rent it since there is no multiplayer or co-op. The physics engine is quite impressive.

You know that concept art where the apprentice is pulling down a Star Destroyer?

Can you still do this in the game?, if not... booo! :sly:

I will have to try the demo at some point but ive heard it doesnt look all that great on PS3.

Robin

My brother has just pre-ordered this from GAME, even though this it isn't the 360 version (PS3 for us), he seems excited. The game is pretty sweet, and even just the concept of the game is pretty cool. I don't know if its worth thinking about but would it be worth moving this thread into gaming in general since this game is going to be available on all the current consoles (Wii, PC, PS3, 360, DS, etc)?

My brother has just pre-ordered this from GAME, even though this it isn't the 360 version (PS3 for us), he seems excited. The game is pretty sweet, and even just the concept of the game is pretty cool. I don't know if its worth thinking about but would it be worth moving this thread into gaming in general since this game is going to be available on all the current consoles (Wii, PC, PS3, 360, DS, etc)?

Yes this should be moved.

This is basically a Star Wars God of War.

Although the story should be interesting with Galen.

Bump!

Perhaps this could be moved to the Gaming in General sub-forum? I just bought The Force Unleashed for PS3 and so far I'm having great fun and I'm only on the first level! I love just using force lightning to get through everyone, even the clone troopers. :P

I had a fun time with it over the weekend, as it is a great game. I'm not all the way through it just yet (right now I'm at the part where you tear the Star Destroyer out of the sky), but I'm getting there. I really think my only issue with the game is the occasional quirk; The camera can be frustrating, the audio can be glitchy, and occasionally the cinematic will "skip" for no apparent reason.

Otherwise, the game is worth playing just for the story alone. Like I've heard dozens of times, it really is better than the Episode I-III story lines, and as someone who liked those movies, thats saying a lot.

My brother completed this already! Even though he completed it so quickly, the storyline was excellent. Well worth a buy just for the story line alone.

I'm under the impression that with more of your force powers activated, on replay, the game will be S-tons more fun throughout. Lacking the lightsaber throw was something that I really, really missed early on in the game.

Damn them for that first level!!!

Haha, yeah. That first level was such a tease. I've played a bit further through now and every level is just so intense. I've got a few gripes - first is when you have to battle the "bosses" and it'll give you a sequence of buttons to press to beat the guy, just to make it look dramatic. It has screwed me up a few times, when I've easily been beating someone. The next gripe is the cinematic view during lightsaber battles, sometime it loses Starkiller, making it real hard to see what you're doing.

It's not been out that long and people have already finished it? - doesn't seem like a very long game to me. I was really looking forward to getting it, but i might not bother now if i'll have done with it within a couple of weeks.

I think it depends on what difficulty you're playing at. To get the hang of it, I started on "easy," but I'm working my way up. Not that I've finished it at all... I'm maybe halfway, or just passed halfway for where I'm at right now.

I pretty much saw the whole game from start to finish within 2 days (a friend bought it), and it seems only average. At least the story is good - it's very typical Star Wars and its fans will love it for the story alone.

The graphics are good, but there are some glitches, like objects dissapearing, falling off platforms you were sure you were on top of, and destroying fighter craft at the beginning they would just fly through objects, etc... but overall I'd say it's not bad enough to destroy the fun. There is some random pausing through the gameplay which became irritating though. There was one big glitch that happened through one of the boss fights (won't say which one since it's a spoiler), where at the half way stage, the boss randomly died and the camera was in a fixed position at the back of the map, as if the boss was still alive. It obviously was still alive but died on-screen, so the game had to be re-started and it continued fine. Not good.

It's not something I would play, but it seems to have a little replay value because the harder modes are very hard. There is a lot of abilities and lightsabre crystals to be collected which will keep people playing. And you'll never get bored of the finishing moves some harder enemies allow you to do. :P

Fantastic game, best star wars game bar none and im only on level 4. The boss fights are epic, the story is amazing, its just brilliant.

Back