Starfield

It's amazing how this game had huge fanfare before launch, was underwhelming when it came out and now no one talks about it.

What are other peoples view on it here?
After playing it for about 10 hours upon launch (Series X and PC) I realized how staged, and empty all felt like and how little tension there was. From a space game with combat gameplay, I want something operatic, like Mass Effect, or the Halo series. So, I went ahead and spoiled the ending for myself and I'm never bothering to install it ever again.

Last edited:
I still jump on now & again, I like it for what it is as I find it very relaxing, just lay on the sofa & go on a killing spree, sometimes I save it, sometimes I don't.

I'm an evil god, my ship is a full on particle cannon destroyer & the recent update has fixed most things I had bugs with.

Hopefully the vehicles come in an update & not with the dlc as I want to launch a rover on a low gravity moon, let's just hope they don't ruin them.

I still go in for some occasional shipbuilding, since i still find that quite fun, and doing silly things with modding the weapons is fun for a bit too. But after finishing the faction storylines and all the other content that was actually made by people and not just procedurally generated, and doing a loop of the main story just for the sake of the achievement, there's not much to keep me there very long. It just feels like I picked all the marshmallows out of the bowl of Lucky Charms, and there's nothing left but that dry cat kibble they try to claim is cereal.

It's amazing how this game had huge fanfare before launch, was underwhelming when it came out and now no one talks about it.

I might return to it when they add the vehicles and the maps for locations... but I always say "I will go back to it" in regards to games, but I said that about Cyberpunk and The Witcher 3, and its been years.

Life is too short, especially when it comes to consuming content, I'd rather experience something new with the free time I get.

I might return to it when they add the vehicles and the maps for locations... but I always say "I will go back to it" in regards to games, but I said that about Cyberpunk and The Witcher 3, and its been years.

Life is too short, especially when it comes to consuming content, I'd rather experience something new with the free time I get.
You absolutely should give Cyberpunk another look if it's been that long. Many very positive updates and changes.

I was extremely hyped for this game prior to launch but held out on buying it because of mixed reception, but grabbed it on sale yesterday and finally get to try it out this weekend.

Like the above posts mentioned, Cyberpunk was very much supported and improved and is actually a great game now (though, I still enjoyed that one at launch anyways) so I'm hopeful Starfield is now or will be better.

I was extremely hyped for this game prior to launch but held out on buying it because of mixed reception, but grabbed it on sale yesterday and finally get to try it out this weekend.

Like the above posts mentioned, Cyberpunk was very much supported and improved and is actually a great game now (though, I still enjoyed that one at launch anyways) so I'm hopeful Starfield is now or will be better.
Bethesda did manage to turn around the ****show that was the launch build of FO76. If they can build on Starfield's base game in the same way, they can turn that around too.

I did one constellation quest and I’m sick of it already.

I reinstalled Cyberpunk just to get a quick comparison and it’s still not even close when it comes to visuals and immersion. When I play Starfield, it feels like I’m just picking off quests in a game to kill time. When I play Cyberpunk, I’m a resident of Night City, cleaning up the gonks.

Last edited:
Bethesda did manage to turn around the ****show that was the launch build of FO76. If they can build on Starfield's base game in the same way, they can turn that around too.
Though they way they turned around Fallout 76 was by having outside studios come in to make content for the game, I don't really see them allowing that for Starfield.

And rather than trying to get all the filler/empty content to the same level as the main hubs, just ditch all the literal copy/paste stuff. I get why bases would look the same on different planets, but finding the exact same items in the exact same spots so I can predict exactly what I can find where is just lazy.

As others have said definitely give Cyperpunk another go.

An open world game hasn't had me hooked like that in over a decade, in my top 5 games of all time.

After the recent updates and hype surrounding them, I gave Starfield another try, started on a random planet in a base where I'd just killed off all the pirates or whomever they were from when I last played, there was nothing to do, got bored, turned it off within 30 minutes, haven't booted it up again since.

That's the biggest issue with Starfield for me, for a game so grand in scope, it's all just a bit boring and seems to lack direction and spectacle. The combat isn't great, the story isn't all that gripping and the maps are quite bland.

After the recent updates and hype surrounding them, I gave Starfield another try, started on a random planet in a base where I'd just killed off all the pirates or whomever they were from when I last played, there was nothing to do, got bored, turned it off within 30 minutes, haven't booted it up again since.

That's the biggest issue with Starfield for me, for a game so grand in scope, it's all just a bit boring and seems to lack direction and spectacle. The combat isn't great, the story isn't all that gripping and the maps are quite bland.
While I can definitely sympathize as I eventually fell out of the game as well, trust me when I tell you: if you can ever make it to the Vanguard questline it is, without question, one of the best (if not the best) arcs in the game.

It is ridiculously captivating.

I thought it was a great game initially. However, once I finished all the faction missions, the main game story line and all existing quests seemed completely lackluster in comparison, story wise. I dumped large amounts of hours before even attempting the main story and when I finally got around to it, I just couldnt pull myself to continue it. Had about 100hrs sunk into it at that point as well. If the rest of the story was as compelling as those factions, I would have gladly put more time into it.

Last edited:
Well, they should've led with that instead of the pompous Constellation group.
I've read this so many times since the game launched. :lol:

I don't remember finding anyone pompous, outside of maybe Walter who I think was a bit...off-putting when you first meet him.

I've read this so many times since the game launched. :lol:

I don't remember finding anyone pompous, outside of maybe Walter who I think was a bit...off-putting when you first meet him.
I think I found the whole 18th century "Explorers Club" attitude off... and the British lady whatshername, very patronizing.

Suits me fine if we eventually get a PS5 version somewhere down the line when it's bugs have largely been ironed out like FO76's were. 👍
About that

The games that are under consideration of coming to PlayStation per Tom Warren:
  • Age of Empires 2 DE
  • Age of Mythology
  • Starfield
  • DOOM: The Dark Ages
  • Hellblade II
  • Halo: Combat Evolved Remastered (Halo 1 port)

I thought it was a great game initially. However, once I finished all the faction missions, the main game story line and all existing quests seemed completely lackluster in comparison, story wise. I dumped large amounts of hours before even attempting the main story and when I finally got around to it, I just couldnt pull myself to continue it. Had about 100hrs sunk into it at that point as well. If the rest of the story was as compelling as those factions, I would have gladly put more time into it.
I played the Freestar and Crimson Fleet lines while holding out on the story and afterwards I could not be arsed to go on with a set of tedious search and fetch quests. I think the concept of a collective of Explorers is fine. It's a nice callback to our own history. But the execution is poor/lazy. Like adding an entire universe, but no RNG on anything and only a handful of archetypes, so it's tedious and predictable. Especially after a set of very well crafted and exciting side stories.

It's funny: when I look at those massive games, like Starfield, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, etc. the benchmark I always come back to is.......No Man's Sky. The whole (almost seamless) transitions from base building, farming, planet exploring, hopping in your space ship, land on your freighter/space ports, etc. has aged like fine wine. I used to be a fan of space games where you only fly, but I can't stomach them anymore, the bar is just higher today.

Last edited:

Still would like to give the game a go when it gets ported over to PS5, especially as the Xbox beta testers will have helped iron out (some of) the bugs during their early access period.

Having played for (only?) about 20 hours now I am thoroughly enjoying the game overall. It's not the most unique game, really, it does feel like a mash-up of so many other sci-fi games/movies and honestly the characters are somehow bland and the plot doesn't seem to be all that interesting so far. Still having fun with it, the visuals are especially nice as the game just looks gorgeous on Series X. I do enjoy the more "realistic" space feel of Starfield with the ships, hubs and space stations all feeling like they could be actual things built today rather than a distant futuristic look.

Gameplay wise, it's your typical open world game. Where the main quest gets ignored so often that you aren't very invested in it while you go off and do some pretty trivial side-quests. Sadly, the main story is told so slowly that I don't feel any draw to what is going on. I have focused on the main quests intentionally to get that "hook" to understand what I am doing other than just collecting mysterious space rocks and I haven't reached that point. I could say the same thing about Fallout 4 though, I guess the enjoyment of these games is not necessarily the main storyline... you can play Mass Effect for that.

I could say the same thing about Fallout 4 though, I guess the enjoyment of these games is not necessarily the main storyline... you can play Mass Effect for that.
Aside from maybe Rockstar's open worlds, which tend to be a little more story driven, i feel its the exploring, gathering, crafting and leveling up on skills which are the real meat to a good open world game. The main story is just a loose string to hold it together.

I barely remember Fallout 4's story (something, something artificial father who's also your son?) and Fallout 76's was almost non-existent. Can't remember Oblivions. At all. Skyrim's was something about shouty dragons and having more recently almost completed Elden Ring i still don't know what its story is (does anyone?).

Last edited:

Played for 9/10 hours got bored and haven't touched it since.

I guess the enjoyment of these games is not necessarily the main storyline...
Those games had a very interesting open world and many, many side quests. I saw a video recently comparing Morrowind, Skyrim and Starfield and the total quest amount went from 300+ to 200+ to 39. There's just a lot to do in the likes of Skyrim, you can ditch the main storyline because it has so much interesting side stuff. Starfield doesn't have either. So folks get bored.

Those games had a very interesting open world and many, many side quests. I saw a video recently comparing Morrowind, Skyrim and Starfield and the total quest amount went from 300+ to 200+ to 39. There's just a lot to do in the likes of Skyrim, you can ditch the main storyline because it has so much interesting side stuff. Starfield doesn't have either. So folks get bored.
I can understand that, for sure. Pretty wild to think that a game which came out over 20 years ago has more to do in it than a modern-day game, but maybe that's a discussion about the complexity of modern-day game development.

I can't help but think of The Outer Worlds when playing Starfield. That game wasn't massive in terms of worlds, quests and things you can do if I recall but it still managed to be a very good game. Like a bite-sized RPG jammed with charm, fantastic art design and memorable characters. It seems like Starfield was going for that same feel but on a much bigger scale but what they did was blow up the size of the areas, number of planets you can visit and scope of the game without adding in more things to actually do.

Personally, Starfield works for me so far despite its shortcomings, but I can definitely understand why others have been let down by it and stopped playing.

I have cloud GPU for a month so I'm going to give this a proper go this weekend. Thinking of concentrating on the space stuff as I don't really have any other games like that (NMS is just way too complicated at this point to jump back in after almost a decade). Space Scoundrel sounds about right. Maybe I can see if there is a browncoat for my character to wear.

Back