Statistical anomalies in motorsports.

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 335 comments
Due to Michael Schumacher's disqualification from 1st place for excessive plank wear at the 1994 Belgian Grand Prix, is Damon Hill the only driver to win a race having never led a lap of that race? Schumacher led every lap of the race except lap 29 which Coulthard led.

Due to Michael Schumacher's disqualification from 1st place for excessive plank wear at the 1994 Belgian Grand Prix, is Damon Hill the only driver to win a race having never led a lap of that race? Schumacher led every lap of the race except lap 29 which Coulthard led.
That was the 7th and so far last occasion it happened.

Thanks. I couldn't think of a time since then and wasn't sure about before.
I had to double-check because I wasn't sure about Belgium 2008, but Massa did lead 4 laps non-consecutively as Hamilton and Raikkonen did their pitstops earlier.

In 1994, the year with 46 drivers, driver changes were so frequent that the British Grand Prix followed by the German Grand Prix were the only two races that year to have the exact same entrants. Every other race that year had a unique entry list.

Notwithstanding 46 different drivers:

JJ Lehto, Andrea de Cesaris, Philippe Alliot and Eric Bernard drove for two different teams.
Johnny Herbert drove for three teams.
Alex Zanardi and JJ Lehto drove both numbered cars of a team; Zanardi the 11 and 12 Lotus, Lehto the 5 and 6 Benetton.

All this brings us to a total of fifty-four different driver entrants in 1994.

Fifty-nine if you want to count Martini and Alboreto driving the Minardi M193B and M194; Zanardi and Herbert driving the Lotus 107C and the Lotus 109 in addition to Zanardi driving the 107C as number 11 and 12

Last edited:
Back