Super Touring Cars, Impreza vs FTO

• Thread starter HaylRayzor
  • 22 comments

HaylRayzor

HASA Member
Premium
HaylRayzor
Head-to-Head comparison of the AWD Super Touring Cars in Gran Turismo 5.

First the basics.

Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car

Kg 980 - 50/50
Hp 445 (471, 495)
Tq 339 (380, 366)

Aero
Front 20 (15-35)
Rear 45 (30-60)

PP 575 (586, 591)

Subaru Impreza Super Touring Car

Kg 1030 – 55/45
Hp 436 (490, 528)
Tq 412 (502, 446)

Aero
Front 20 (15-35)
Rear 45 (30-60)

PP 574 (595, 601)

fto.jpg

imprezan.jpg

If I had to choose between them based on specs I’d pick the FTO. If I had to choose based on looks I’d pick the Impreza. But looks doesn’t win races, so let’s see what I think after I drive them.

All testing will be done in completely stock configuration on race hard tires, with engine and chassis rebuilds on both cars. Transmission in manual mode and all aids off except ABS 1.

First we’re off to Route X for some speed and acceleration testing.

Pulling to the line is the FTO.

The relatively tall gears may hurt the acceleration numbers, but we’ll see.

With little wheelspin and a slight bog the FTO rips through the gears.

I do 3 runs to be sure. The numbers come out almost identical each time.

FTO

0-60 in 2.751 seconds
0-100 6.307 seconds
1/4 mile in 10.804 seconds
1 mile in 27.761 seconds

Switching to the Impreza, I have mixed feelings. It has a nice torque curve and shorter gears, but it’s heavier. The light turns green and we’re off.

There is alot more wheelspin in the Impreza. It takes to the 3rd run to get the best 0-60 time. But the higher torque and lower gears do edge out the FTO, if only by a little.

The FTO winds up nipping the Impreza at the mile due to it’s slight horsepower advantage, and I presume slightly lower drag.

Impreza

0-60 in 2.712 seconds
0-100 6.245 seconds
1/4 mile in 10.768 seconds
1 mile in 27.781 seconds

Now to see which is faster all-out.

The FTO claws it’s way to a top speed of 191.1mph, near the top of the revs in 6th gear, which leaves me with doubts concerning the Impreza’s shorter gears.

The Impreza falls almost 6 mph short at 185.4mph. But it wasn’t because of the rev limiter as I suspected (although it was VERY close to the limiter in 6th gear.

But I do still think the gears are to blame, since the engine is down on both torque and horsepower at the rev limit. And since both these cars come stock with adjustable transmissions I did a little side test. I swapped in a taller final gear and ran it again. The Impreza managed 188.1mph with the taller gear, so my suspicion is confirmed.

Even so the FTO still has the advantage in top speed.

Back on the trailer for the trip to the road course.

I chose Nurburgring GP/D for my testing because it’s short, has a good mix of handling and speed, and it’s a track I am very familiar with.

First up is the Impreza.

Going into the first turn I’m impressed with how little understeer there is. This is a nose-heavy all wheel drive car, so I was expecting it to shovel. There is still just a little understeer though.

The car feels good everywhere, but still doesn’t seem quite as quick as the PP rating would indicate.

My time drops each lap as I push harder. And as I push harder I find the understeer getting worse.

Impreza best lap of 5 is 1:29.595

Switching to the FTO the lighter weight and better weight balance immediately make themselves felt. The car feels lighter and more nimble. I feel that I’m carrying more speed in the corners.

The tall gears do make themselves felt also, as the revs drop on each shift, and especially in the 2 second-gear corners where the revs fall out of the power band.

Still, my first lap is almost as quick as my best in the Impreza. My second lap I beat it, and by the 5th lap I smash it. The FTO STC handles like a dream, which only makes me more annoyed by the incorrect gearing.

FTO best lap of 5 is 1:28.777

Overall I’d give the edge to the FTO. At least in stock form.

Since both these cars comes with fully adjustable everything there is no reason you would not dial in the suspension of the Impreza to help the understeer and there is no reason you would not adjust the transmission of the FTO to keep the revs in the powerband.

And once they’re dialed in, who’s to say…

Nice comparison.

FTO is the better car I feel. I agree with you there. But, we disagree on the looks. Check out all those sweet curves on the FTO, and notice the Impreza looks like nothing more than a box, as all Imprezas' do.

I prefer the FTO, but I don't have much experience at all with the Impreza other than having a few examples. I think the FTO is drop-dead gorgeous in stock form and the mere thought of a serious motorsports version is just cargasmic.

XXI
But, we disagree on the looks. Check out all those sweet curves on the FTO, and notice the Impreza looks like nothing more than a box, as all Imprezas' do.

Looks is always a very subjective thing. I have always loved the look of the Imprezas, but the proportions of the FTO just seem wrong to me. The nose too long, the tail too short...

Personal taste is just that. Personal. :)

FTO Super Touring Car is the best car in this game and its 'series' of forms has been the best overall in the whole GT series. There's no need to do comparisons.

[/opinion]

Nope. CT230R beats it. Smashes it. Crushes it. Senseless.

Before Spec II the CT230R was hopeless stock and even now I still run a tune. Yes, it is faster obviously and actually, on the face of it, the two are somewhat genetically similar. But go and play GT1 and you'll see why I love the FTO STC so much more for real.

Before Spec II the CT230R was hopeless stock and even now I still run a tune. Yes, it is faster obviously and actually, on the face of it, the two are somewhat genetically similar. But go and play GT1 and you'll see why I love the FTO STC so much more for real.

Well, both are 4WD, both sound the same with that nice but tinny (as in tin-ny, not tiny) exhaust bark and both have wings and downforce.

And I would. If I had a PSX, a GT1 disc and all the bells and whistles required to drive it. But I don't. So I can't.

Oh…an Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo would probably be able to keep pace pretty well, too. :P

Well, both are 4WD, both sound the same with that nice but tinny (as in tin-ny, not tiny) exhaust bark and both have wings and downforce.

And I would. If I had a PSX, a GT1 disc and all the bells and whistles required to drive it. But I don't. So I can't.

Oh…an Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo would probably be able to keep pace pretty well, too. :P

Yep, quite.

You don't need a PS1. PS3s are backwards compatible with PSX games.

Well, obviously. An S2000 GT1 Turbo would beat an FTO STC easily on speed. But speed is never everything...

Is it bad if the FTO doesn't impress me? I drove it once and it just felt "boring".

Yep, quite.

You don't need a PS1. PS3s are backwards compatible with PSX games.

Well, obviously. An S2000 GT1 Turbo would beat an FTO STC easily on speed. But speed is never everything...

We have come to an agreement! :eek:

But I haz no GT1.

Sometimes, it is. Anyway, I like the look of the S2000 GT1 Turbo more, the sound is better (the bark just gets on my nerves sometimes), handles quite a bit sharper and I feel it is better.

And before we turn this into another one of our bickering threads, I think we should pull ourselves back on topic. :lol:

Is it bad if the FTO doesn't impress me? I drove it once and it just felt "boring".

Sometimes a car that's got a perfect balance can be "boring" because there's no drama when driving it.

I had not driven either of these cars beforet this test and I have to say the FTO went straight to the top 20 list for me.

FTO Super Touring Car is the best car in this game and its 'series' of forms has been the best overall in the whole GT series. There's no need to do comparisons.

Since my comparison is incomplete without fine tuning both cars to maximize performance, here is my challenge to you:

Tune up the FTO for the Nurburg GP/D track. Adjust anything on the car that's adjustable. No upgrades. Post your tune here for testing.

Somebody else can take up the challenge of tuning the Impreza. I can do it but I'm not a master tuner so hopefully somebody will step up and do it.

Then we'll do the head-to-head again.

Oops, double post. :dunce:

Since my comparison is incomplete without fine tuning both cars to maximize performance, here is my challenge to you:

Tune up the FTO for the Nurburg GP/D track. Adjust anything on the car that's adjustable. No upgrades. Post your tune here for testing

Somebody else can take up the challenge of tuning the Impreza. I can do it but I'm not a master tuner so hopefully somebody will step up and do it.

Then we'll do the head-to-head again.

Oops, double post. :dunce:

Ive already tested em last year, max tuned at sarthe. The fto won by 1 to 2 seconds. And ive tested them at deepforest too. Fto always beats the impreza. (not by much, always just a couple o seconds)

The drive on the fto is also much more exciting than the impreza.

I must say that after spending an hour trying to tune the Impreza I never made a lap as fast as I did in the FTO stock.

For me this closes the book.

Last edited:
C-ZETA

Easily my favorite car of the entire series. I do yearn for the mid-engine version to return though.

Back