United Kingdom
Scarfolk
Grim10
Are you kidding?
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

Dear Cap'n Slappy,

Arrr!!! Arrr!!! Arrrr!!! ARRR??

- Anon.

Aye, ye were right to question that last "ARRR." Three "Arrrrs" makes yer point just fine, that last one (all in capital letters no less) was simply ostentatious.

Take delight in simplification.

Dear Cap'n Slappy,

Why are 16 men on a dead man's chest? And what's the deal with the bottle of rum, anyway? Are they drinking it? Or did it kill the poor guy who now has 16 men on his chest? What gives here, Cap'n?

-- Edmund Fitzgerald

Dear Fitz,

The lyrics to this popular pirate tune have always been unsettling to me as well. For one thing, there is no way that sixteen pirate asses could fit on a dead man's chest. The seating space, even for a very large chest and very small asses would accomodate only four ... maybe five. But let's say that the pirates are standing on the chest. With a one-footed group stand while they held other pirates on their shoulder, you could conceivably get sixteen pirates stacked on the man's chest. This would explain him being dead. The bottle of rum might have lead to the man saying, "Hey, you sixteen pirates! I bet you can't all stand on my chest at once!" The answer to, "what gives?" would be, "Clearly, his sternum."

:lol:

So I thought it was a dead man's treasure chest they were talking about rather than his actual chest...

It was still mildly funny though.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeah sept 19 is gonna be great!!

One argh out to all me 'homies' as such....

Arrr, this is going on my calendar!

Arrr, this chair be too high, says I.

Blake

TLAP day happens to be my birthday, sounds good to me.

"Bung hole – Victuals on a ship were stored in wooden casks. The stopper in the barrel is called the bung, and the hole is called the bung hole. That’s all. It sounds a lot worse, doesn’t it?

On TLAP Day – When dinner is served you’ll make quite an impression when you say, “Well, me hearties, let’s see what crawled out of the bung hole.” That statement will be instantly followed by the sound of people putting down their utensils and pushing themselves away from the table. Great! More for you!"

That is a great bit of advice.

Justr got this email from a secretary in our department:-

Just because we think we deserve it, and as there should be most academic staff in for the Academic Committee Meeting on Monday 19th September, we thought we should have an informal "bring a bottle" session at 5 pm in Room 3.17, Biology Building.

You might also be interested to know that it is "International Talk Like a Pirate Day" so feel free to bring your parrot along and polish up your wooden leg! Wendy has been practising!!

Everyone welcome - just bring your own tipple (not necessarily a bottle of rum!)

he he, that be a capital idea!

Back