That explains the online quality...

• Thread starter Latosius
  • 45 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
So I did some GTLeague races today, really enjoyed the nostalgia and some good old vs cpu racing, however.....

1, what the hell is up with the AI.... in each race we have 1 car miles faster than the rest and the remainder is so slow it may as well not exist, and when they do, they think they are programmed into destruction derby mode..

2, Why no prize cars for winning the events?? I really wished they gave a unique prize for each league completion, but no, nothing...

And also, have they fixed the daily reward system ? I haven’t received a duplicate car for once :cheers:

So I did some GTLeague races today, really enjoyed the nostalgia and some good old vs cpu racing, however.....

1, what the hell is up with the AI.... in each race we have 1 car miles faster than the rest and the remainder is so slow it may as well not exist, and when they do, they think they are programmed into destruction derby mode..

2, Why no prize cars for winning the events?? I really wished they gave a unique prize for each league completion, but no, nothing...

And also, have they fixed the daily reward system ? I haven’t received a duplicate car for once :cheers:

Got my 5th M4 Coupe today. So the daily reward is still messed up.

Can you imagine how many dupes you’d get if you got one after beating each cup?

The AI in GT Sport is the only thing that seems to have carried over from other GT games, in that it’s horrible.
Not only that but the guy who’s leading will be as slow as everyone else, until you over take them when they suddenly get some 5-6 seconds faster, it’s hilarious. Case in point, the hour long ‘endurace’ race is stupidly easy, I started on softs by accident, spun all over the place and still easily won, only once I got to the lead and was setting purple times, the guy behind was slowly catching me...

What I don’t understand is the game is focused on GR3 and 4 cars, yet almost non of the events take advantage of that fact...

I did some sunday cup races and both times the pink car crashed off at high speed. I don't think that's "good AI" i think it's just bad programming because the car isn't being driven properly.

Every time that I want to believe that PD improved the AI, I get reminded that they'll possibly never forsake their 'trademark' zombie AI. Only this time, the zombies seem to have their own personalities. Like that blue RX-7 that pops up in the FR races slides around like a wet bar of soap.

After gilding all of the Beginner League, I went back to Sport mode and the Gr.3 dailies; after the race, which was only my second victory, my hands and pits were sweating, and not just because of the sweltering heat. Why hasn't PD attempted to copy Forza's Drivatar system? I'm sure with their attention to minute details they can pull it off.

Every time that I want to believe that PD improved the AI, I get reminded that they'll possibly never forsake their 'trademark' zombie AI. Only this time, the zombies seem to have their own personalities. Like that blue RX-7 that pops up in the FR races slides around like a wet bar of soap.

After gilding all of the Beginner League, I went back to Sport mode and the Gr.3 dailies; after the race, which was only my second victory, my hands and pits were sweating, and not just because of the sweltering heat. Why hasn't PD attempted to copy Forza's Drivatar system? I'm sure with their attention to minute details they can pull it off.
Drivatar? Omg do your research..

You are aware the the daily reward is random, right? So it's not messed up, it's working as intended.
The odds of getting the exact same choice 5 times, purely randomly, are pretty astronimical.

I think Live for Speed is about the only racing sim I've seen that has particularly good AI. All the rest, including GT just seem to either apply a simplified physics model to the AI cars or basically just have them ignore physics altogether and ride around on rails. GT AI doesn't appear to handle any differently than the player car so I would say it is doing the former and still at least abiding by the laws of the physics engine. That makes for some realistic driving but that's probably also why they can't seem to put up much of a fight.

Games like PCars 2 and rFactor look like they use the "on rails" approach and while it allows the AI to run ridiculously fast laps, they aren't very convincing.

LFS AI takes the best of both of those. Problem is, they have to "learn" each car and track combination over tens of laps each. I would actually prefer that method but it would never work in a mass market game like GT or a game with this many cars (and eventually tracks, I hope).

As far as rubber banding goes, I've always hated that- just let me qualify like you used to and let them run as fast as they can. Unfortunately, they don't seem to think that highly of their audience and assume they'll tune out if they haven't made a pass in the last 15 seconds.

And this is what people wanted right? The same game since 1997, but prettier?

It's certainly what Polyphony wanted, considering they were quite gung-ho in throwing out the baby with the bathwater and basically remove the single player component and hope it didn't blow back on them.

But then again, this is Polyphony we're talking about, who is so bullheaded that they obviously can't see that they are lagging behind their competitors in the console sim space on everything but graphics.

I haven't noticed a change in the quality of public lobbies since the large update, strange conclusion to come to.

Yawn, If you let people choose their car outside of a curated class, you will NEVER have close racing unless PD implements HEAVY rubberbanding, but then folks would still cry. I'v said it time and time again, the traditional GT career mode ( in every game) is nothing more than preselected arcade races. The reason there are a few rabbit cars is to encourage tuning ( the thing you guys cry about daily). The mission races are the unique scenarios that were genuinely entertaining. Im bored already while I binged all of the career races which were genuinely fresh. PD did the RIGHT thing by ditching the career mode, its boring lame, and if it wasn't for championships, redundant. If PD gave us more options, in custom race, I would never want to touch career mode.

Polyphony gave us a pretty decent CUSTOM RACE MODE with pretty great AI and 99% of people on here brush it off . Great you got your ****** carrear mode, its basically preselected arcade races ( claps). You had unlimited scenarios in a custom race , but nope we want pre-made races!!

Want to race Gr.4 cars, go to freaking custom race and SELECT it . Seriously. I can select if I want BOP on or off, I can select my cars power, the grids tires, penalties etc. IF PD gave us the ability to make custom championships, select the grid from our garage, and or/ powerplant/manufacturer/ country. I would honestly never bother with any stupid career mode ever.

PD is trying to move away from an archaic outdated, and clunky game design that WILL NEVER provide satisfactory racing without rubberbanding. But give the fans their crap, long live mediocrity. I hope the next game is 100% online.

Yawn, If you let people choose their car outside of a curated class, you will NEVER have close racing unless PD implements HEAVY rubberbanding, but then folks would still cry. I'v said it time and time again, the traditional GT career mode ( in every game) is nothing more than preselected arcade races. The reason there are a few rabbit cars is to encourage tuning ( the thing you guys cry about daily). The mission races are the unique scenarios that were genuinely entertaining. Im bored already while I binged all of the career races which were genuinely fresh. PD did the RIGHT thing by ditching the career mode, its boring lame, and if it wasn't for championships, redundant. If PD gave us more options, in custom race, I would never want to touch career mode.

Polyphony gave us a pretty decent CUSTOM RACE MODE with pretty great AI and 99% of people on here brush it off . Great you got your ****** carrear mode, its basically preselected arcade races ( claps). You had unlimited scenarios in a custom race , but nope we want pre-made races!!

Want to race Gr.4 cars, go to freaking custom race and SELECT it . Seriously. I can select if I want BOP on or off, I can select my cars power, the grids tires, penalties etc. IF PD gave us the ability to make custom championships, select the grid from our garage, and or/ powerplant/manufacturer/ country. I would honestly never bother with any stupid career mode ever.

PD is trying to move away from an archaic outdated, and clunky game design that WILL NEVER provide satisfactory racing without rubberbanding. But give the fans their crap, long live mediocrity. I hope the next game is 100% online.

Yes its a real pity im my opinion that custom races in arcade plus replaying garage mission races with different cars were not enough for the most 'traditional' offline players as custom offer so much potential and like the rest of the game could be built on.

Unfortunately it just seems that these want the nostalgic 'chase the rabbit' scenario and the game to decide type of race and competitors grouped into levels with SS tyres.....plus of course the ability to tweet etc number of wins etc.....

Thats fine - each to their own......I have a foot in both camps and will use it in my usual GT virtual racing career just like I use Arcade and Sport ...but the format is somewhat stale.

To my mind the Ultimate Arcade custom would be to have this existing 'event' creator plus a track creator as the player would then be in total control of race/track set up .. though I suspect for some they'd still want a 'on the plate' GT League as well.....

(memo Kaz has said he'd like to add back track creator but gave absolutely no indication it would come or was planned.....)

Yes its a real pity im my opinion that custom races in arcade plus replaying garage mission races with different cars were not enough for the most 'traditional' offline players as custom offer so much potential and like the rest of the game could be built on.

Unfortunately it just seems that these want the nostalgic 'chase the rabbit' scenario and the game to decide type of race and competitors grouped into levels with SS tyres.....plus of course the ability to tweet etc number of wins etc.....

Thats fine - each to their own......I have a foot in both camps and will use it in my usual GT virtual racing career just like I use Arcade and Sport ...but the format is somewhat stale.

To my mind the Ultimate Arcade custom would be to have this existing 'event' creator plus a track creator as the player would then be in total control of race/track set up .. though I suspect for some they'd still want a 'on the plate' GT League as well.....

(memo Kaz has said he'd like to add back track creator but gave absolutely no indication it would come or was planned.....)

A deep custom race creator would be amazing. I could spend hours tunning each specific car to make a competitive race. The amount of races you could make is infinite, Porsche VS Chevy ! Mustangs Vs Chargers. Ferrari vs Honda!

Got my 5th M4 Coupe today. So the daily reward is still messed up.
I have got a lot of the same cars as gift, but maybe the solution could be making a "used car service" where you can sell your GIFT car dublicates, and maybe look for a "cheap" car you don't have yet ?? :-) I know I can delete them, but where's the fun in that???

If you use class based races with a good BOP then yes you will, plenty of other titles manage it without having to resort to rubber banding.

You even manage to dismiss your own argument by then saying it's possible in custom race mode! If it's possible in that, then it's possible in a curated single player event. Hell it's actually easier in that, as PD get to control all of the variables!

Can you imagine how many dupes you’d get if you got one after beating each cup?

The AI in GT Sport is the only thing that seems to have carried over from other GT games, in that it’s horrible.
Not only that but the guy who’s leading will be as slow as everyone else, until you over take them when they suddenly get some 5-6 seconds faster, it’s hilarious. Case in point, the hour long ‘endurace’ race is stupidly easy, I started on softs by accident, spun all over the place and still easily won, only once I got to the lead and was setting purple times, the guy behind was slowly catching me...

What I don’t understand is the game is focused on GR3 and 4 cars, yet almost non of the events take advantage of that fact...
I'm glad because I need a reason to race the other cars in the game especially the street/production models.

What explains the online quality?
I believe he's saying that they put all their effort into online mode and little effort into the offline mode, along with crappy AI and no car prizes.

I have got a lot of the same cars as gift, but maybe the solution could be making a "used car service" where you can sell your GIFT car dublicates, and maybe look for a "cheap" car you don't have yet ?? :-) I know I can delete them, but where's the fun in that???

I still havent deleted even one yet in the hopes maybe one day ill be able to get SOMETHING for all of them. I must have 10-15 duplicates of same cars and 80 out of 90 gift or dlc cars...

More or less yea, and also if New drivers learn against this AI then no wonder sport mode is a crash fest.

I don't think that's the reason at all. The reason why sport mode is a crash fest is because players can get away with it with very little consequence. Just turning damage on would go a long way towards correcting the behaviour.

Nope, I got another RCF yesterday :(

I did some sunday cup races and both times the pink car crashed off at high speed. I don't think that's "good AI" i think it's just bad programming because the car isn't being driven properly.
And yet every time I play online with an actual human, someone seems to outbrake themselves and plough straight on at the first corner. Maybe the AI is actually really clever, but is learning from the real players in Sport mode and that's why they're all over aggressive, under skilled and frequently try to take you out!

And this is what people wanted right? The same game since 1997, but prettier?
That would be nice actually, but right now there are a lot of tracks and races missing and let's not forget the upgrade options.

Back