The 6 Wheel Italian Supercar - Covini C6W

• Thread starter Robin
  • 39 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Based on the same reasoning for the Tyrell P34 Formula 1 car the Covini C6W is now ready to enter production, 36 years in the making. At the very least it will be a desirable collectors car. Thoughts?

It’s been a long time coming – over 30 years since the first designs – and has suffered multiple delays, most recently in 2008. But at last Italian motoring company Covini are ready to put their six-wheeled, US$400,00 supercar the C6W into production.

* The four front wheels serve a number of purposes. There’s better grip and improved braking, less chance of the tyres deflating and,
should you accidentally prang it, more absorption of any frontal impact.
* The engine is an Audi-sourced 4.2litre V8. It produces 434hp and 346lb/ft and is capable of propelling the car to a top speed in excess of
185mph.
* The body is nearly 14ft long and made out of carbon fibre over a tubular steel frame. This ensures, that despite the extra weight from the
wheels, it’s relatively light, weighing less than 2,646lb.
* The C6W is rear wheel drive. Those wheels are 20 inches in diameter, compared with 15 inches for the front four. All six wheels come with
vented Brembo brake discs and electronic brake distribution to maximise stopping power while maintaining control of the vehicle.

Keep in mind that this car has been in development since 2004 and the styling hasn't changed since then, they wanted it to go into production for like the last 3 years and now its apparently ready. Maybe the production looks might be slightly different.

615x330_car1.jpg

covini-c6w-supercar-34.JPG

covini-c6w-supercar-36.JPG

covini-c6w-supercar-37.JPG

covini-c6w-supercar-43.JPG

covini-c6w-supercar-45.JPG

covini-c6w-supercar-40.JPG

covini_c6w_2_560x420.jpg

2754_02.jpg

Last edited:
Aye, that does make it seem extraordinarily cheap. Almost as cheap as it looks.

I was hoping I wasn't the only one that thought it looked cheap.. it seems very plain and tacky despite the 6 wheels

GM
Is £50,000 a typo?

Yeah, the stupid article I quoted from got it wrong, another site showed it being US$400,000. I've fixed it now.

I wonder if the whole 6 wheel thing being better holds any truth, I do agree it could do with looking more aesthetically pleasing but I'm sure its like the Gumpert Apollo (more about performance). Still looks like a 'man in shed' job.

Robin.

Last edited:
Aside from that awful rear fascia, I think it looks great.

The idea with the P34 was that smaller front wheels could be better for downforce by reducing lift by hiding the wheels behind the front wing. The problem with this car is...well, it has fenders, making that advantage a bit redundant.

This whole car is redundant. And why are all small supercar companies using Audi's 4.2 V8 nowadays?

This whole car is redundant. And why are all small supercar companies using Audi's 4.2 V8 nowadays?

I suppose because Audi has a good price on it, I dunno. It avoids the "kitcar" stigma of the SBC...though for how much longer, I have no clue.

@opticalillusion

Seriously, why does the rear end have to look that bad? The tailights are hideous, they look something born in some cheesy tuner garage.

But you can't deny it looks naughty with those extra wheels, I like it.

Looks like a Looney tuned Koenigsegg. But those headlights remind me of a car I can't remember at the moment.

Is 434hp really enough to be a supercar these days? Not that we should get into the 'what defines a supercar' but I would have expected to see a large car with 6 wheels to have astronomical amounts of power. It will be interesting to see what laptimes it can acheive, but ultimately, I think it's ugly and ridiculous.

Is 434hp really enough to be a supercar these days? Not that we should get into the 'what defines a supercar' but I would have expected to see a large car with 6 wheels to have astronomical amounts of power. It will be interesting to see what laptimes it can acheive, but ultimately, I think it's ugly and ridiculous.

It does have some exotic qualities, but the power is a bit low for a supercar. The weight is pretty good though, but I wonder how the extra unsprung weight effects the car. Surely they must have tested a four-wheel version of the car.

Yeah, having to explain why your car has four front wheels is going to make it uncool. People might at least understand having four rear wheels as adding traction to put down some stupid amount of power.

Back