The Formula 1 Calendar ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 285 comments
For those who didn't know, Monza is getting a complete repave for this year. A new aerial photo seems to show a reprofiled first Chicane!
GQCvJd4XsAA7rgu.png

I like how the conventional format builds up for the gp. Meanwhile the sprints are just a gimmick for the tiktok generation of casual fans.

The races aren’t even good because no one wants to risk their car for a small amount of points, especially when qualifying for the real race is only a few hours after. These seem to be hated by mostly everyone, it’s weird how they keep doubling down with this garbage.

Last edited:
I like how the conventional format builds up for the gp. Meanwhile the sprints are just a gimmick for the tiktok generation of casual fans.

The races aren’t even good because no one wants to risk their car for a small amount of points, especially when qualifying for the real race is only a few hours after. These seem to be hated by mostly everyone, it’s weird how they keep doubling down with this garbage.
I don't think they are hated by mostly everyone, as ever with almost everything in life, the negativity will be louder, that's just how social media seems to work. I've seen plenty of positivity within that and there's clearly enough desire to keep them otherwise they wouldn't bother as it costs more for the hosts, which will get passed onto the fans and the sprint weekends don't seem to struggle to get people into the circuit. Pretty sure the circuits have no issue with it, stands look consistently more full over the whole weekend when it's a sprint vs a regular weekend, there have been exciting sprints, including several this year. I think there needs to be some tweaks to make it even better but honestly it is better than practice. I don't buy the whole, it ruins the GP argument, there's no evidence for that and I certainly don't think it does.

I don't think they are hated by mostly everyone, as ever with almost everything in life, the negativity will be louder, that's just how social media seems to work. I've seen plenty of positivity within that and there's clearly enough desire to keep them otherwise they wouldn't bother as it costs more for the hosts, which will get passed onto the fans and the sprint weekends don't seem to struggle to get people into the circuit. Pretty sure the circuits have no issue with it, stands look consistently more full over the whole weekend when it's a sprint vs a regular weekend, there have been exciting sprints, including several this year. I think there needs to be some tweaks to make it even better but honestly it is better than practice. I don't buy the whole, it ruins the GP argument, there's no evidence for that and I certainly don't think it does.

I'm one of those 'no opinion' people on Sprint Races. I watched one on replay but there's just not enough time in my life to care for that, similar to watching full qualifying maybe only once or twice per year. If it was 20+ years ago, I'd be all over the idea of more racing; now, not so much.

They're unnecessary and statistically mean very little; it just gives more points to those who are already getting all those points in the full races. If there was some sort of two-heat event or wildly different rules, maybe it would mean something different...but then you're just tinkering with the rules and events for the sake of it all over again.

On the other hand, if I was an event ticket holder, I'd definitely want more on-track action even if it means very little. As long as you have me in the seat with not much else to do (because you're completely distanced from the teams and drivers), I'll watch all the support races, no matter how goofy. And I suppose that's probably the understandably popular sentiment if you are the one taking the time, money, and energy to go to an event.

Last edited:
My impression is the other way round. Especially when not everything works to plan in FP1 for the top runners we're often set up for a better GP on sprint weekends. Sprint and Sprint Q are better than FPs but that isn't a high hurdle.

Mostly sprints are just like the first segment of the GP where everyone is just saving tyres + fuel until the first stop which is the most boring part of each GP. If the sprint can be good is often based on the choice of tyre grades for the weekend + track compound/tyre deg on that track and if the soft can last the 100 km distance easy and if there's a significant time difference to the mediums so they can't just choose them. Not sure a obligatory pit stop would ease that up because still the risk + reward problem for the few points would be there.

In the end most sprints aren't good but I can understand the reasons for the viewers at the track and with the reduced FP running chances for everyone having a better GP. Learning for FOM, there is still too much FP time even after cutting 60 minutes/a quarter of the previous 90 + 90 + 60 mins.

Sprints would be more interesting held on tracks with different, shorter layouts; Silverstone National, Bahrain Outer, Suzuka East and Österreichring Club spring to mind.

That at least would be something different. But I'm still firmly in the camp of 🤬 off, gimmicky crap to milk money and appease casuals.

Back