Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
The Generation Game: Nissan Skyline GT-R

Not all Skylines.
Not all GT-Rs.
These Skyline GT-Rs.

Gran Turismo Planet votes on one of Gran Turismo's most iconic cars.

1989-1994 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32)

skyline_01.jpg

Bodystyles: 2-door coupe
Engines: 2.6L twin-turbocharged I6
Drivetrain: 4WD
Length: 4.54m / 179in
Weight: 1,430kg / 3,153lbs

Power: 276hp

---

1993-1998 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33)

2779-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Bodystyles: 2-door coupe, 4-door saloon
Engines: 2.6L - 2.8L twin-turbocharged I6
Length: 4.68m / 185in
Weight: 1,530kg / 3,373lbs

---

1999-2002 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34)

AutoArtNISSANSKYLINEGT-R_R34_V-SPECII_BAYSIDEBLUE_NIHOBBY_1200x1200.jpg

Bodystyles: 2-door coupe
Engines: 2.6L - 2.8L twin-turbocharged I6
Length: 4.6m / 181in
Weight: 1,560kg / 3,440lbs

R34 is the best, but damn, since Car and Driver magazine did a short piece on the R32 back in ‘90 or ‘91, it was a dream car I knew I’d never get to see in the USA. Thought it was awesome a four-seat, AWD, two-door sedan had a rear window wiper! It was going to be my new apocalypse/Mad Max car if I couldn’t find an ‘86 Aston Martin V8 Zagato. :lol: Fast forward my life twenty-five years to Australia, they’re all over the place. :lol:

It’s the lightest, shortest and least busy of the bunch. My kind of stealth.

R32 because visually and esthetically most balanced and the less bloated car of them three...

I could never convince myself to like any other Skyline more than the r32 .. I tried so hard to like the other ones more... But I would always circle back to the r32.

The R34 GT-R is the best GT-R. Best looking, best handling and (allegedly) the most powerful. In my opinion, they're aren't as many cars that command as much attention as a clean R34 GT-R. It's one of Japan's greatest sports cars and luckily for me, I get to see some fantastic examples here in Melbourne. You can call me basic if you like but it's one of my absolute favourite cars next to the E46 M3, Ferrari F40 and Aventador SVJ.
IMG_2925.JPG
IMG_2998.JPG
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG
IMG_3371.JPG
IMG_3399.JPG
IMG_9677.JPG

IMG_8163.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG

Sorry for the dump but I just love these things.

No doubt that R34 > R33 > R32, even if on paper they all have the same power each new generation just added more weight.

But the R32 is the one with the domineering Group A history which really kicked off the whole Skyline legend internationally.

Last edited:
I saw an R34 this morning, the first one i ever saw in my country. It had a big fart can in the back tho :boggled:.

Voted R32.

R33 will always be my favourite by a wide margin. I love the look of it and it was sort of the first Skyline I ever really knew about.

So it's R33 - R32 - R34 - the edge of the solar system - R35.

I think my favourite is the R32 but that’s solely because of the Group A touring car. I’ve never really been a big fan of the GT-R nameplate outside of the racing versions of each generation if I’m honest. They’ve never looked particularly attractive to me, until all the racing bits and bobs are added.

I voted R34 because 2 Fast 2 Furious is one of my favorite car movies, and Brian O'Connor's R34 is tied for first as my favorite car from that movie (the other being that 1969 Yenko Camaro).

I think the R33 hasn't aged quite as nicely as the others. It's also quite ugly in real life in a way that betrays its stunning looks in photos. The R34 just doesn't grip me at all. The R32 is absolutely stunning, how slim it is gives it a surprisingly graceful look and it destroyed Formula Sierra with an unfairly acquired reputation.

R33 by a big margin for me. I have quite the soft spot for it, mostly because it's the only Skyline that ever raced at LeMans.

I mean they can all do this, but something about watching a highly tuned R34 go full send on a launch is still an incredible sight:

9:44 timestamp in this video

It's a tough one for me personally as I have a very soft spot for the R33 being the unloved one. But the R34 is certainly the more iconic one when you bring up the name. Can't go wrong with the "purity" of the R32 either, but for some reason it never really did much for me.

Still a tad upset I didn't really have the funds to buy an R32 GT-R that showed up at my old workplace for $25,000 in 2019. Rather random that someone would come to a franchise dealer and just sell their R32 to, rather than private sale. Seems like a bargain now with the prices of today.

Out of curiosity, would the Hakosuka (PGC10) and Kenmeri (KPGC110) be included in this list?

It's a tough one for me personally as I have a very soft spot for the R33 being the unloved one. But the R34 is certainly the more iconic one when you bring up the name. Can't go wrong with the "purity" of the R32 either, but for some reason it never really did much for me.

Still a tad upset I didn't really have the funds to buy an R32 GT-R that showed up at my old workplace for $25,000 in 2019. Rather random that someone would come to a franchise dealer and just sell their R32 to, rather than private sale. Seems like a bargain now with the prices of today.

Out of curiosity, would the Hakosuka (PGC10) and Kenmeri (KPGC110) be included in this list?
Not by the op.

It's interesting because the one that cemented the nameplate by winning everything (R32) is not the same as the one that Nissan had the most interest in developing into a mainstream model (R33) which is not the same as the one that is the most desirable (R34).

Last edited:
Back