The Highlights of Design: Pop-Up Headlights

Singapore
Singapore
XSquareStickIt
Hey all. Just thought I'd start a thread dedicated to pop up headlights, since I was deeply captivated by them since young and I feel it's a pity cars today no longer feature them. Here's hoping this thread can be a tribute of sorts to them. Enjoy!

Kyoto-Gion9-1.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_26.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_515.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_42.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_6.jpg

SpecialStageRoute5_23.jpg

SpecialStageRoute7.jpg

Kyoto-Gion_10.jpg

Kyoto-Gion_15.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_72.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_148.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_85.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_103.jpg

I'm not exactly sure, since I know nothing about Lambos *GASP*, but what harm can posting pictures in a photomode forum do anyway? Go for it :D

I'm not going to get yelled at for posting a photo/link of/to my actual car which has flip-up headlights not in the "Member's Rides" section am I?

XSquareStickIt

You need to post that picture in The Realistic Photo Thread! Most realistic photo of a headlight I've seen for a while 👍👍👍 !

As for the pop-up headlights, I believe that cars today no longer feature them because it gives an 'old' look to a car to most people. But at least IMO pop-up headlights give a cleaner look to the car when they are down.

You need to post that picture in The Realistic Photo Thread! Most realistic photo of a headlight I've seen for a while 👍👍👍 !

As for the pop-up headlights, I believe that cars today no longer feature them because it gives an 'old' look to a car to most people. But at least IMO pop-up headlights give a cleaner look to the car when they are down.

Thanks! I'll take you upon that suggestion :D

Although, I would argue that Pop Up headlights CAN be made to look modern. I have heard countless times how the design of the FD EX-7 is so timeless, it's beautiful even 20 years after the first one rolled off the factory lines in 1991. I believe that curves, a sleek and slender body, and a lightweight performance sports car's charms will never be outdated.

Other reasons as to why I believe pop up headlights are out of favour now is because of the complexity and additional air resistance. Not to mention how everyone is obsessed with HUEG engines that hoods can't be low anymore. And high hoods don't make sense with pop up headlights design wise.

The main reason however, I believe is because of crash safety ratings, which more or less prohibit protrusions from the car's bonnet, which, if I were to fully elaborate on my feelings about that, I'm sure I'd be banned. So I'll withhold my vitriol and comments.

The main reason however, I believe is because of crash safety ratings, which more or less prohibit protrusions from the car's bonnet, which, if I were to fully elaborate on my feelings about that, I'm sure I'd be banned. So I'll withhold my vitriol and comments.

In my part of the US, such protrusions are not street legal. Which is why you can't legally drive a new Rolls-Royce.

👍

What car is this?

Damn it, now I need to try an F40.

Gotta love sleepy eyes headlights! I've captured a few of my own after seeing this. I'll edit this post with them once I get my hands on my PS3 again.

:bowdown:

CLEAN! I love unmodded Spirit Rs. I believe limited edition models of cars should not be modded, even if this is a game. Then again, as you can probably tell, I'm a RX-7 maniac, so my opinion probably doesn't amount to anything.

I believe these are called frog eyes pop up headlights, am I right? They look goofy. but old and goofy together has an odd charm to it, methinks. Thanks for your contribution! I really loved them all.

👍

What car is this?

Damn it, now I need to try an F40.

Gotta love sleepy eyes headlights! I've captured a few of my own after seeing this. I'll edit this post with them once I get my hands on my PS3 again.

:bowdown:

CLEAN! I love unmodded Spirit Rs. I believe limited edition models of cars should not be modded, even if this is a game. Then again, as you can probably tell, I'm a RX-7 maniac, so my opinion probably doesn't amount to anything.

I believe these are called frog eyes pop up headlights, am I right? They look goofy. but old and goofy together has an odd charm to it, methinks. Thanks for your contribution! I really loved them all.

I'm glad you like it; I never did because it was slightly out of focus. :ouch:

It is the '88 Supra. I have this awesome picture that I just love of that car but I kept the stock wheels and painted the car white instead of its only option of black. I think I lowered it a little bit too. I just love the look of it. Sadly though, the headlights aren't up in the picture. :crazy:

Yeah, I think it's honestly ugly, but it just adds a little something different to the picture.

Haha, yep! I thought it would be something different. :dopey:

If you were at all wondering, just turned down the shudder speed the whole way and took a picture after I turned off the headlights as there is a slight delay and you're able to do this. It's not edited at all whatsoever. :)

Yeah, think those wheels are just perfect for the car. I'm sorry to say, but that car isn't completely stock. It's just lightly tuned with weight reduction #1, sport exhaust, low rpm turbo, sport medium tires, and full suspension even though I only stiffened it a tiny bit.
351hp/324lbft - 1250kg - 500PP 👍

I'm not sure to be honest. I've never heard that term before, but that doesn't mean you aren't correct!
Certainly, it gives it character. All cars with flip-up or retractable headlights will always have a certain character that no other cars will ever have.

I really appreciate your excellent feedback. I'd love to get to add more photos in here in the future. :)

Those wheels really fit well with the front aero kit! 👍

This is a very realistic shot 787!

I ought to try one of these things soon, even if it's for people who can't afford an RX-whoops, I mean... for people whom love the canopy like cockpit of the thing, such as myself.

If you were at all wondering, just turned down the shudder speed the whole way and took a picture after I turned off the headlights as there is a slight delay and you're able to do this. It's not edited at all whatsoever. :)

OH GOD. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE. YOU'VE GIVEN ME ANOTHER INCENTIVE TO SPEND MORE TIME WITH MY RX-7s. HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?!

Kyoto-Gion_1.jpg

Kyoto-Gion_2.jpg

Anyway, my "sleepy headlights", as promised. Although, I did do some additional shots that aren't necessarily half closed.

NrburgringNordschleife_2.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_3-1.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife-2.jpg

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_1.jpg

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_4.jpg

Anyone feel like getting behind a wheel yet after seeing that^ shot? :D

NrburgringNordschleife_8.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_10.jpg

^That's a Toyota MR-2 GT-S. Definitely a handful in the rain, but is one of the last cars Toyota made that I like to any extent at all, until the 86 arrived.

I see we have quite a few NSX fans here. I'm curious though, why tune a 1990 Acura NSX when you can tune a 2002 Honda NSX-R? I'm not trying to insinuate you're making a bad choice here, I'm just curious, that's all.

I never realised how amazing an pre-facelift FD can look in white/ black bonnet! Props to you! I've seen such a colour scheme on Spirit R RX-7s before, but it looks better on your car for some reason. I wish we could paint the headlamp covers as well, but that's probably wishing for too much.

You SEEM to have the sidelights on as well, instead of only having the high beam. How is this possible at Suzuka? Or is the image edited?

Anyway, I've just taken the XJ220 to Le Mans. While it doesn't necessarily HAVE headlights that Pop Up, they're still retractable. It makes me wonder why they bothered hiding them to begin with, regardless...

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_2.jpg

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_4-1.jpg

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_5-1.jpg

Probably were meant to be pop up lol

Here is my contribution to this thread:

Toscana%20%28Tarmac%29_32_edit.jpg

It's not much, but yeah lol

I never realised how amazing an pre-facelift FD can look in white/ black bonnet! Props to you!
You SEEM to have the sidelights on as well, instead of only having the high beam. How is this possible at Suzuka? Or is the image edited?

Thanks for the kind words. Actually the photo of the RX7 was taken at Nurburgring GP/F. At that track, both the headlights and sidelights are on and the picture is unedited.

Neat idea for a thread. Here's some I had lying around in my photostream:

Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88.

Siena - Piazza del Campo_3 (6) by lonestranger Photos, on Flickr

Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) '90.
Colour: Maziora Mazeran.
Wheels: Advan RGII.

Kyoto - Gion_1 (6) by lonestranger Photos, on Flickr

Red Bull Hangar-7_3 (3) by lonestranger Photos, on Flickr

Lamborghini Miura P400 Bertone Prototype '67.
Colour: Fantasiagrun (Volkswagen Lupo).

Siena - Piazza del Campo_8 (3) by lonestranger Photos, on Flickr

Kyoto - Gion_4 (3) by lonestranger Photos, on Flickr

Is that Matte Light Green on that LP400 Prototype? Nice choice! :cheers:
And nice pics too. Especially _8_(3).

Thanks!

It's not matte, although I can see why it looks like it in the second pic. It's "Fantasiagrun" from the standard VW Lupo road car. I was going for the orignal shade of lime green that Lamborghini used on the Miura, I think I succeeded. Here's my car in the sunlight: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lonestranger_ryan/5446545781/ and a real one: http://www.autodrome.fr/miura_svj_spider_green.jpg.

Back