The HKS R33 GT-R is no longer the fastest...

SkylineObsession

Expert daydreamer
Premium
New Zealand
New Zealand
SkylineObsession
Mangosaurus
...4WD in the world.

A New Zealand driver, car and team have taken the crown yesterday by breaking the long standing 4WD world drag racing record set by the Japanese HKS GT-R.

HKS former world record:
Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R - 7.671 @ 181 mph
hks-gtr.jpg

Heat Treatments new world record:
Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R - 7.59x @ 192 mph
Video of the run: http://www.sportcompact.net.au/WRSMALL2.wmv
Video of testing: http://www.ozhoon.com/Vids/OzHoon-HeatTreatmentGTR-testing.wmv
post-615-11585531961586305470.jpg

post-615-115839439598870294.jpg

post-615-11585532601601882282.jpg

Sorry if this has been posted already, just didn't see it anywhere.

Impressive run! It was really all over the track, kudos to the driver.
I didn't see 4 wheels spinning. What is the regulations on if it is 4wd for real, or if the car came with 4wd and it was removed?
I'd imagine they disengage it in the water box. It's wearing 4 slicks, and it didn't sit down like a RWD car.

Yes, Toyo, 4WD does hinder burnouts. That's why they have it, so they don't spin their tires and lose copious amount of time. Also note that these cars have true 4WD--not AWD--systems since the front differential can be disengaged to warm the rear tires. Too bad he didn't keep the car as straight as they would have liked; that steering load probably sucked a hundredth of a second off the car's time.

Impressive run! It was really all over the track, kudos to the driver.

I'd imagine they disengage it in the water box. It's wearing 4 slicks, and it didn't sit down like a RWD car.

Agreed... There's so very little sitting down for such a fast car 👍

Was wondering the same as Toyo when I just saw the pictures..

Ohh. Nice License plate as well :lol:

Yeah, as mentioned he'd have a switch to turn off/stop the power going to the front wheels or something (my Skyline has pretty much the same 4WD system, all i have to do to make mine rear wheel drive is pull out the 4WD fuse under the steering wheel).

Besides that, if he was running in rear wheel drive there would be huge fat tyres at the back and skinny ones up front. There would also likely be a no wheelie bar thingy (not the proper name?) at the back.

Got this from www.sportcompact.net.au;

"Reece McGregor and the Heat Treatments Ltd GT-R Skyline were at it again at Willowbank Raceway today and man were they at it! Smashing the HKS GT-R Skyline World Record well and truly with a 7.590sec at 191.97mph/308.96kph! The team were needless to say over the moon with the performance and with a good handle on the clutch setup now feel they can wind some more power into the GT-R for the Fast Fours Jamboree this weekend."

Congrats to Reece McGregor 👍, I am not suprised at all though I was expecting it, considering the crazy dyno figure they put out recently and crazy trap speeds. :scared:

I am looking forward to even faster times.

I first assumed Taurine made this thread considering he works for the guy.

*Edit* BTW the paint on the front bumper really hides its uglyness now 👍 ;)

Yes, Toyo, 4WD does hinder burnouts. That's why they have it, so they don't spin their tires and lose copious amount of time. Also note that these cars have true 4WD--not AWD--systems since the front differential can be disengaged to warm the rear tires. Too bad he didn't keep the car as straight as they would have liked; that steering load probably sucked a hundredth of a second off the car's time.

I wasn't referring to the burnout. I was curious about the actual drag. At the starting point, I thought I saw some slippage from the rear tires, but maybe not. Mustang-Man answered the question for me, though.

PS. I just noticed this, Mustang-Man, this thread is your 100th GTPlanet thread. 👍

Big props to the Heat Treatments guys they've worked hard to get the car to 7.590 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Lets see if the HKS car comes out of retirement to challenge the time

Wow, congratulations to Reece McGregor and everyone else on the team. It was just a matter of time till Heat Treatments beat the world record and I'm happy that a NZ team has done it.

I'm suprised Andrew hasn't come in here to be smug :D

Wow, congratulations to Reece McGregor and everyone else on the team. It was just a matter of time till Heat Treatments beat the world record and I'm happy that a NZ team has done it.

I'm suprised Andrew hasn't come in here to be smug :D

:sly:

7.4 on Saturday ladies

Boo the Heat Treatment Skyline sucks!
attachment.php

Also if there is a video, will it have some 12 year old going 'YESSSSSSSS' after the run?

The only people I can make out that are shouting yes in the video in the first post is Arnie, the mechanic.

So no.

I'm not even in the same country you egg.

7.81 @ 185.03

Shep isn't too far behind. He's been inching from 10's, to 9's, to 8's, finally broke 7's early this year and is moving faster everytime. Give him another year and he will be there.

http://www.shepracing.com/index.php

Basic specs:

2.0l
FP GT42R @ 55lbs
10, YES 10 1600cc injectors

Pretty impressive for a 2.0l 4 cylinder.

Is that R32 stock displacement?

Rumour has it that HKS has recently freshly rebuild the previous record holder R33 Skyline GTR, was spotted in their workshop :)

The HKS Skyline GTR was running on petrol (High octane mix obviously) while Heat treatments GTR is running on methanol. If the HKS Drag GTR returns I wonder if they will run on methanol now?

The only people I can make out that are shouting yes in the video in the first post is Arnie, the mechanic.

So no.

I'm not even in the same country you egg.

I thought there was a video that you recorded a while ago of it and it has you going 'YESSSSSSSSS' and sounding like a 10 year old on it. You know like an old one, not those ones.

Also Awd launches look awesome, it's just like squat slightly and then go.

Any ideas what kind of 60 foot time a car like that runs?

I know a 1.6 is considered excellent for a semi-stock RWD on DOT slicks.

Any ideas what kind of 60 foot time a car like that runs?

I know a 1.6 is considered excellent for a semi-stock RWD on DOT slicks.
Well, Shep's Talon is AWD, and runs 7.8s and it does 1.2-ish 60ft times. Which is REAL quick. And, hes only running a 4-cyl.

These other two are very fast, and no disrespect to them. But, what Shep has done with that car, basically by himself, is super impressive.

Hilg

Shep's gone that fast with a fraction of the budget, too. And he still has all the factory body panels, and full glass.

His website might say he's got a Buschur 2.0 block, but I think that's not exactly right... some things must stay secret. ;)

With how much less the Talon weighs than the GTR, Shep's got that luxury... :lol:

But it's an amazing accomplishment, nonetheless... as countless tuners are spending tons of money just to get sub-8's in their AWDs.

Shepherds car weighs the same as the Heat Treatments car.

In that vid I believe the car ran a 1.2x sixty foot, it's best in NZ is 1.15 however.

The HKS R33's setup electronically cuts out the AWD during burnout. The rear take all the grip upon lauch during a run.

Woo hoo!

I knew it was only a matter of time.

Congratulations to the Heat Treatments team and to Taurine.

It's been a liong time coming, and very well deserved. Party hard boys, you've earnt it!

Here's to keeping the numbers tumbling! :cheers:

Also, does anyone think a time like that it possible at Champion Dragway, or does the track not have it in it?

UPDATE

According to a NZ forum i post in, the time has been BETTERED today with a 7.57x @ 305 km/h!

Shepherds car weighs the same as the Heat Treatments car.

In that vid I believe the car ran a 1.2x sixty foot, it's best in NZ is 1.15 however.

What I mean is the Talon is much lighter as stock... which is probably a big money saver in the long run...

But looking at stock numbers again, there's not that much difference anyway... a paltry 200 pounds or so... hmmm...

----

7.57? Wow... those guys are nuts!

4.437 @ 33xmph but that's Top Fuel ...

4.665 @ 333.58mph but that's Funny Car ...

6.631 @ 20xmph but that's Pro Stock ...

Fastest RWD import powered car is 6.40 @ 220mph

Latest Posts

Back