The Political Satire/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 13,689 comments
I guess the difference between this and the wall is that at least some people in America are convinced signing up to the Paris climate agreement is a good thing but I'd be surprised if anyone in Mexico thought that their paying for the wall is a good thing.

I was more thinking that you could tell people that we need to keep the rest of the world out with a bubble over the US. Maybe it could be framed as a missile defense system, or preventing illegal aliens from getting in.

latest

Your implied symbolism is lost on me for the moment. What gives?
The mouth represents the Trump opponents and their media outlets, the bone represents Russia, the foot represents the Trump administration and the dog, as a whole, represents the Republic.

I was more thinking that you could tell people that we need to keep the rest of the world out with a bubble over the US. Maybe it could be framed as a missile defense system, or preventing illegal aliens from getting in.

latest
At least you'd probably have more success paying for your own wall than if you were to try to get Mexico (or the rest of the world) to do so.

It's why I created this thread. Arguing was frowned upon in the funny pic thread, so I created a political cartoon thread where we could post cartoons and argue about them... because it's impossible to post a good political cartoon without ticking someone off.
Political argument, and argument generally, is a cornerstone of society. One of the great things about GTP is that we have a place to discuss everything we care about.

What is that last cap? Banker? Politician? Not sure I get it.

Politician.

It's in response to a vote to not increase public servant pay, that of firemen, nurses and so on, in the UK whilst civil servant pay, such as that of MPs, has gone up at least twice this decade.

The woman walking past is PM Theresa May, famed for her fancy/stupid shoes, giving herself a pay rise whilst the heroes of Grenfell get little.

Politician.

It's in response to a vote to not increase public servant pay, that of firemen, nurses and so on, in the UK whilst civil servant pay, such as that of MPs, has gone up at least twice this decade.

The woman walking past is PM Theresa May, famed for her fancy/stupid shoes, giving herself a pay rise whilst the heroes of Grenfell get little.
More likely the DUP, as Orangemen traditionally wear bowler hats when on marches and have just been given 1 billion, after the government said no magic money tree existed for the NHS and emergency services.

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opi...y-of-a-hat-beloved-by-orangemen-30380950.html

Politician.

I'm almost afraid to ask for more clarification on the difference between public servant and civil servant (which sounds the exact same to me).

I'm almost afraid to ask for more clarification on the difference between public servant and civil servant (which sounds the exact same to me).

Roughly speaking... Public servants are Police, Fire, Hospitals (schools?) etc. Civil service is government departments - MP's, but also the courts, border services/customs, the MoD, the treasury, the DVLA etc.

Roughly speaking... Public servants are Police, Fire, Hospitals (schools?) etc. Civil service is government departments - MP's, but also the courts, border services/customs, the MoD, the treasury, the DVLA etc.

Is there like... a philosophy behind the two names? Or just, we know this job has this label and that job has that label.

Keep in mind this is also the place that has solicitors and barristers instead of lawyers.

Is there like... a philosophy behind the two names? Or just, we know this job has this label and that job has that label.

I'd guess that the Civil Service caters for the needs of, or provides services for, the government, where as the Public Service provides services for the public.

Keep in mind this is also the place that has solicitors and barristers instead of lawyers.
Does the US have a distinction between regular lawyers and attorneys which represent you in court? I think the solicitor/barrister distinction is similar.

I guess @Danoff has never seen the comedy series Yes, Minister about an MP and his civil servant "assistant".

Civil service is anyone in a government job. Diplomat, adviser etc. Public servant is your people like the bin men and state school teachers.

Last edited:
Not directly. They are often paid by councils.

Either way it isn't a direct government job. They just get paid by the government.
That makes no sense. So they are sub-contractors?

Public servant is your people like the bin men and state school teachers.
...and they don't work for the government?
Not directly. They are often paid by councils.

Either way it isn't a direct government job. They just get paid by the government.
In essence, The Civil Service is the civilians (or at least those who do not hold political or judicial positions) who serve central government, usually in an administrative capacity, whereas a public servant is anyone whose salary derives from taxpayer 'contributions' (or the 'public purse').

A binman is technically paid by his local council, which gets some money from local taxation (council tax, for example) and some from central government. He's a public servant, but not a Civil Servant.

An administrative assistant at the Department for Work and Pensions is paid by the Exchequer, and is a Civil Servant and a public servant.

The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions is also paid by the Exchequer and is in the Civil Service (Cabinet Secretary is the top rank of the Civil Service), but holds a political position and is thus not a Civil Servant, although they are still a public servant.

Does the US have a distinction between regular lawyers and attorneys which represent you in court?

No. The terms are synonymous. You'd hire a lawyer to draw up a will or contract, and/or hire a lawyer to represent you in court. Both of their business cards would say "attorney at law".

In essence, The Civil Service is the civilians (or at least those who do not hold political or judicial positions) who serve central government, usually in an administrative capacity, whereas a public servant is anyone whose salary derives from taxpayer 'contributions' (or the 'public purse').

A binman is technically paid by his local council, which gets some money from local taxation (council tax, for example) and some from central government. He's a public servant, but not a Civil Servant.

An administrative assistant at the Department for Work and Pensions is paid by the Exchequer, and is a Civil Servant and a public servant.

The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions is also paid by the Exchequer and is in the Civil Service (Cabinet Secretary is the top rank of the Civil Service), but holds a political position and is thus not a Civil Servant, although they are still a public servant.

(un)Interestingly enough, we use the phrase "civil servant" to mean a federal employee (rather than a state employee) as well, but it's short for federal civil servant.

Back