• Thread starter Stephan
  • 22 comments

Stephan

Still progressing........
Premium
Philippines
Manila
Filracer
http://www.thesummitexpress.com/2016/05/netizens-slam-anti-duterte-video-ad-on-abs-cbn.html

I don't what to say......I mean are they that desperate wanting for Duterte to lose?

Now for those who don't know, the Phils. presidential election consists of Mar Roxas, Jejomar Binay, Grace Poe, Rodrigo Duterte, and Miriam Defensor-Santiago. Now in the beginning, the whole Aquino, Lopez, and Cojuangco clan are wanting for Roxas to win in order to continue corruption and pick pocketing but with the recent uproar of Duterte supporters, they knew that they've :censored:ed up because of this.

So what did they do? They use their "funds" in order for Filipinos to turn their backs on Duterte but what happened? It increased even more Duterte supporters.

Now why did I say "funds"? Do you remember Typhoon Yolanda and its damage done to our country? Well apparently all the funds (which came from different countries who helped Philippines) didn't go to the Yolanda victims instead it went to the corrupt officials.

So now with 3 days left before election this showed up and it caused an uproar because ABSCBN, Mar, and Trillanes used children to their anti-Duterte ad.

I don't what to say......I mean are they that desperate wanting for Duterte to lose?

Is this something that's unusual in that part of the world? I can't see why using children in the advert is a problem, in advertising terms they're seen as speaking simple common-sense and as representing the future.

I wonder what those erstwhile netizens (oh please) would make of this?

Is this something that's unusual in that part of the world? I can't see why using children in the advert is a problem, in advertising terms they're seen as speaking simple common-sense and as representing the future.

I wonder what those erstwhile netizens (oh please) would make of this?

In non-advertising terms they often use children as proxies for adults, reciting lines that they aren't old enough to understand in order to tug at our heartstrings and make the cause seem more genuine, you know, because kids. I'd rather see honest attack ads from adults than children behaving as adults.

How much does a politician usually spend on a political ad? The one I posted costed more than 20 million pesos.

DK
20 million pesos? A quick check on Google tells me that's just over US$420,000, that'd be a bargain for a US Presidential candidate.
Actually for a PH President, that's more than enough to feed the hardworking farmers of our country in which they suffered a lot thanks to the Aquino-Cojuangco clan. In fact, they're even more corrupt than our late former president Ferdinand Marcos.

My suggestion is to try doing some Google search on the Aquinos and their cronies.

Actually for a PH President, that's more than enough to feed the hardworking farmers of our country in which they suffered a lot thanks to the Aquino-Cojuangco clan. In fact, they're even more corrupt than our late former president Ferdinand Marcos.

My suggestion is to try doing some Google search on the Aquinos and their cronies.
What the Aquino's did is unfortunate but getting elected costs money in any democracy.

Duterte is the guy who joked that when a missionary was raped in the town where he was mayor, then as mayor he should have been first in line to violate the woman. He then threatened any country that expressed outrage at this with sanctions should he be elected. He also announced that, if elected, he would pardon himself for murders. Not murder. Murders. Plural.

Duterte is the guy who joked that when a missionary was raped in the town where he was mayor, then as mayor he should have been first in line to violate the woman. He then threatened any country that expressed outrage at this with sanctions should he be elected. He also announced that, if elected, he would pardon himself for murders. Not murder. Murders. Plural.
Where did you get this info because I've been warned that there were a lot of biased news reports about hims such as from ABSCBN, Inquirer, etc.

That would be him, according to western media anyway.

And all in his own words, no?
I don't know was it? I don't speak Filipino, I don't know who translated from Filipino to English and I don't know enough about the culture to get any of the subtleties that inevitably are unique in each culture and might get lost in translation. Maybe @FilipinoGTUser1 could shed some light.

I don't know was it? I don't speak Filipino, I don't know who translated from Filipino to English and I don't know enough about the culture to get any of the subtleties that inevitably are unique in each culture and might get lost in translation. Maybe @FilipinoGTUser1 could shed some light.

I don't imagine Human Rights Watch are a credible source for you? How about the UN? Amnesty?

How about The Manila Times? Here are his rape and murder pardon comments,

I don't imagine Human Rights Watch are a credible source for you? How about the UN? Amnesty?

How about The Manila Times? Here are his rape and murder pardon comments,
Most news sources I trust don't have ads like this at the bottom:
upload_2016-5-7_15-27-7.png

Like I said, I'm not Filipino. The Manila Times could be a tabloid rag for all I know. @FilipinoGTUser1 has some concerns about the reporting and I'm curious to see what he or she (or "they" to satisfy the pc police) says about it.

Where did you get this info because I've been warned that there were a lot of biased news reports about hims such as from ABSCBN, Inquirer, etc.
International media.

That would be him, according to western media anyway.
And what possible reason would the Western media have to conspire against him? In addition to joking about the rape of a missionary, threatening sanctions and offering himself a pardon for murders, he has also threatened to dissolve Congress if they try to stop him from doing what he likes, and has said "criminals are a legitimate target of assassination" and so clearly does not care for due process.

You have been quick to condemn dictators and autocrats in the past, so why are you giving this dictator-in-waiting the benefit of the doubt? As @TenEightyOne said, a lot of this stuff is coming straight from Duterte himself.

Last edited:

Doubt it. Perhaps they've learned from Marcos and have learned to hide things better/not be so greedy, but Marcos was on a different scale altogether:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/07/10bn-dollar-question-marcos-millions-nick-davies

And to think his son could well be the next VP...

And what possible reason would the Western media have to conspire against him? In addition to joking about the rape of a missionary, threatening sanctions and offering himself a pardon for murders, he has also threatened to dissolve Congress if they try to stop him from doing what he likes, and has said "criminals are a legitimate target of assassination" and so clearly does not care for due process.

You have been quick to condemn dictators and autocrats in the past, so why are you giving this dictator-in-waiting the benefit of the doubt? As @TenEightyOne said, a lot of this stuff is coming straight from Duterte himself.
The western media are well known for subtly and not so subtly twisting facts to suit their political agenda, there's no reason for me to assume the Filipino media are any different. The one source I'm suggested to read had some lovely tabloid grade ads on the same page as a supposedly serious article on a candidate for president. Had you actually read any of my responses instead of just seeing my name and drawing false conclusions you'd have seen that post.

Once again though, leaping to conclusions. Having reservations about translations and other the nuances of foreign cultures is not giving someone the benefit of the doubt. You know what it is? It's ,"having reservations about translations and other the nuances of foreign cultures". Please stop putting words in my mouth.
I don't speak Filipino, I don't know who translated from Filipino to English and I don't know enough about the culture to get any of the subtleties that inevitably are unique in each culture and might get lost in translation. Maybe @FilipinoGTUser1 could shed some light.

Last edited:
The western media are well known for subtly and not so subtly twisting facts to suit their political agenda, there's no reason for me to assume the Filipino media are any different. The one source I'm suggested to read had some lovely tabloid grade ads on the same page as a supposedly serious article on a candidate for president.

Not when I view it, I can't quite explain that. It is a tabloid though, I'll give you that. As I recall you'd asked for something that wasn't "Western media" so I gave you a local Filipino publication, but hey.

Once again though, leaping to conclusions. Having reservations about translations and other the nuances of foreign cultures is not giving someone the benefit of the doubt. You know what it is? It's ,"having reservations about translations and other the nuances of foreign cultures". Please stop putting words in my mouth.

You'd forgive a cynic for thinking you were displaying a wilful blindness to the facts though?

Not when I view it, I can't quite explain that.
It's just the way the ad client works.

The one source I'm suggested to read had some lovely tabloid grade ads on the same page as a supposedly serious article on a candidate for president.
You dismiss the Western media as being susceptible to having an agenda, so ask for a local source. When you get it, you immediately dismiss it as being a tabloid. I know you're not that naïve.

What possible reason would the Western media have for interfering in the election when the election could also be called a national poll on who the biggest bastard is?

It's perfectly reasonable to be wary of the accuracy of information from tabloid/potentially sensationalist sources
Tabloids are successful because they exist in a grey area. They report on rumour and speculation as if it were fact, and rely on the audience being unable to verify things for themselves. And while they may have a history of making things up, I have never heard of a tabloid outright inventing a quote from someone, since that would open them up to a lawsuit. So if they quoted him, there's a good chance that he said it - especially when that same quote is used in multiple sources independent of one another.

It's perfectly reasonable to be wary of the accuracy of information from tabloid/potentially sensationalist sources. Like Breitbart, for instance.

So I don't see why you're mocking him for his personal scrutiny of sources, really. :)
You will note that in two of the links you posted I made no comment and drew no conclusion. I simply posted the link and the information and left it to the reader to draw their own conclusions . And the other one was an exclusive interview with Breitbart and the material that I quoted were direct quotes from the person interviewed.

Back