The "Where you can and can't get away with DRS" thread.F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter kidovey
  • 21 comments
kidovey
After buying the game and getting some time this last weekend to start my career and get a feel for the game and how its improved over last years etc I had this idea to start a thread about one of the new features - DRS - and where you can / cannot benfit from it when out on track,

obviously I'm only talking Practice or more importantly Qualifying as in the race, as we all know, the DRS use is controlled to certain areas etc.

Some of these I've found by stupidity/bravery in practice, some of them I am copying the real life F1 drivers, some of them I probably just forgot DRS was still on, didnt brake, and somehow made it round with a benfit, and sometimes, it just doesnt really work.

If your still unsure as to what i'm talking about then let me hand things over to Adrian Sutil to demonstrate what happens when you tap the DRS too early :)

So the list starts here;

Australia:

TURN 5: Doesnt work! I found KERS much better on the entry to this one.
TURN 7/8: Works for me, bit scary, wouldn't love to try it with TC off though.

I will add some more later on, just want to see if this thread gets any interest - it could be useful for shaving time off your quali runs!

TURN 7/8: Works for me, bit scary, wouldn't love to try it with TC off though.

This is a great idea for a thread and discussion, however using TC I thought you could get away with it anywhere! Try using DRS without TC or at least on medium and you will instantly start being far more wary of how early you open up the wing!

The youtube video sums it up, since with TC on I'm able to open the DRS nearly immediately following turn in (once the car is settled basically). I race on medium TC as I'm on DS3, and you have to wait until you are on the outside kerb (tried earlier, repeated Sutil's spin...)

I'm not saying you shouldn't use TC as you make of the game what you will, but if you haven't already then try turning the TC down. I did and personally, it made the game about 10x better! It really gets you powersliding out of corners and scrabbling for grip when its wet :)

This is a great idea for a thread and discussion, however using TC I thought you could get away with it anywhere! Try using DRS without TC or at least on medium and you will instantly start being far more wary of how early you open up the wing!

The youtube video sums it up, since with TC on I'm able to open the DRS nearly immediately following turn in (once the car is settled basically). I race on medium TC as I'm on DS3, and you have to wait until you are on the outside kerb (tried earlier, repeated Sutil's spin...)

I'm not saying you shouldn't use TC as you make of the game what you will, but if you haven't already then try turning the TC down. I did and personally, it made the game about 10x better! It really gets you powersliding out of corners and scrabbling for grip when its wet :)

Very valid point, hence why I mentioned wether TC was used or not, that way if we are specific then this thread will benfit people who run TC oand people that dont.

However I have sarted racing with TC off now and I would still say that you can use DRS round some corners! Im not saying its easy, I'm using a G27 and I have to throw my arms around like a lunatic sometimes but its doable I'm sure.

His tyre went off, I'm not sure DRS was the culprit there...

I watch a lot of formula one mate and I'm confident that it was at least jointly responsible because I know F1 drivers can go full throttle on grass and survive, did you see monza a few weeks ago? not a like for like example but he didnt seem too bothered!

Interesting thread....but anyone who races competitively will consider this their personal secret haha.

Very valid point, hence why I mentioned wether TC was used or not, that way if we are specific then this thread will benfit people who run TC oand people that dont.

👍

However I have sarted racing with TC off now and I would still say that you can use DRS round some corners! Im not saying its easy, I'm using a G27 and I have to throw my arms around like a lunatic sometimes but its doable I'm sure.

For sure, there have been corners where the factor of using DRS or not depends on the tyres since you are right on the limit of the grip available. Had some issues at Silverstone where I was forgetting to deactivate it going into the first corner and old first corner (I don't know names!) as well, which was fun when I forgot....

I watch a lot of formula one mate and I'm confident that it was at least jointly responsible because I know F1 drivers can go full throttle on grass and survive...

I agree, for certain it was the DRS which caused Sutil's spin. Car was settled, and they are always using the astroturf area on the outside of the corner. From behind its clear that as soon as the wing opens the rear starts spinning. Plus I think Sutil even said afterwards that it was due to DRS...

kidovey

I watch a lot of formula one mate and I'm confident that it was at least jointly responsible because I know F1 drivers can go full throttle on grass and survive, did you see monza a few weeks ago? not a like for like example but he didnt seem too bothered!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ1L9PT04Uw">YouTube Link</a>

Yeah that was sheer bravery from vettel I admire him

His tyre went off, I'm not sure DRS was the culprit there...

If this in reference to Sutil, he was also overtaking another car so he took a tighter line into the corner, which I think contributed to the spin as he tried to get the throttle on just as early as with the usual line.

If this in reference to Sutil, he was also overtaking another car so he took a tighter line into the corner, which I think contributed to the spin as he tried to get the throttle on just as early as with the usual line.

The car that is seen pitting well ahead of Sutil in the video?...

Lets not worry too much about the video of Sutil.. maybe I will remove it.. it was spupposed to be there for the NEWER F1 fans who may not know what I was trying to explain about losing the car under DRS. I was actually looking for a video of when I think Maldonado lost it on turn 8 istanbul in practice because his DRS was open, but couldnt find it.

EDIT: Found a vid of Vettels pole lap at Istanbul - if you pay attention at 0:10 , 0:29, 0:41, 0:47 - He is using DRS in some pretty brave places (red Bull aero FTW) where the car is far from straight - so its doable!!

Please guys, back on topic, favourite places to use DRS or places youve tried DRS and crashed - yes this can be seen as sharing 'secrets' as someone said but I know that lap times have a LOT more to do with other stuff than just where you hit your DRS.

PS: if any of you F1 fans want to add me for some racing etc (can guarantee you wont find the 11:11 tune anywhere near me) then feel free - my psn is on the LHS of my name here.

Last edited:
banana123
The ai use it through turn 8 in turkey, i can just about get my car through there with drs but i crash most times. I think they're crazy

That incredible corner don't believe that all anyone who tried in real life would just spin out and into the barriers there's no way of using DRS through that bit unless you go at a snails pace.

toyotsupra
That incredible corner don't believe that all anyone who tried in real life would just spin out and into the barriers there's no way of using DRS through that bit unless you go at a snails pace.

I agree, it seems that codemasters didnt quite get the physics right for drs

if you watch the vettel pole lap in istanbul he opens DRS about 3/4's the way round the turn...:crazy: and gets a little steering wheel dance to go with it.

kidovey
if you watch the vettel pole lap in istanbul he opens DRS about 3/4's the way round the turn...:crazy: and gets a little steering wheel dance to go with it.

Incredible skill he is the world number 1

I too watch a lot of Formula 1 (every race this season at least) and I saw that overtake on Monza. The difference there is that Vettel was on a straight and Sutil was coming out of a corner. Still, Vettel was very ballsy to pull that off.

After watching the video again I agree that he probably hit his DRS just a smidgen too early which really sent him overboard and into that wild, but awesomely controlled, spin.

PS: my apologies for diverting attention away from the reason for this thread, kidovey!

Me too ive watched F1 for many years now and i think that DRS and KERS brings better racing

PS: my apologies for diverting attention away from the reason for this thread, kidovey!

no problem man its been a good discussion.

Me too ive watched F1 for many years now and i think that DRS and KERS brings better racing

deffinately,the way I see it KERS has helped people to defend and DRS has helped overtaking ( a bit!) to attack.

You also HAVE to take into consideration the change to the Pirelli tyres with their weird and wonderful compounds, this season has been great.... apart from Vettel lol but I won't go there!

After buying the game and getting some time this last weekend to start my career and get a feel for the game and how its improved over last years etc I had this idea to start a thread about one of the new features - DRS - and where you can / cannot benfit from it when out on track,

obviously I'm only talking Practice or more importantly Qualifying as in the race, as we all know, the DRS use is controlled to certain areas etc.

Some of these I've found by stupidity/bravery in practice, some of them I am copying the real life F1 drivers, some of them I probably just forgot DRS was still on, didnt brake, and somehow made it round with a benfit, and sometimes, it just doesnt really work.

If your still unsure as to what i'm talking about then let me hand things over to Adrian Sutil to demonstrate what happens when you tap the DRS too early :)

QUOTE]

I use no assists like TC.

I use DRS on the straights-once the car is moving straight, because I have turned it on early in a turn; or just straightening out of a turn like Sutil and boom-no grip :ouch:

My problem is not always knowing where the DRS zone is (the game track map doesn't display) :dopey:

Of course there are plenty of circuit maps on the inter web :dunce:

P.S. I use my KERS exiting corners and on the straights in short bursts; except when a car is just ahead-full KERS to get close :)

Last edited:
Back