Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.52 Discussion Thread

• Thread starter notarjy
  • 965 comments
I still bet $1 that the thing which manifests this weird behavior is what causes this to happen on gr1 cars with 10/8 in game and about 20ndp on the dd+(15nm).

Its gotten less and less with every patch and is largely gone, except gr1’s. Its fine. Up the ndp and it becomes manageable and can go away. But at a cost to some ffb details. It will be interesting to see if pd iterates again with the next patch.

It's worth noting at this point that GT, since Sport, has always had an issue with rear suspension particularly but suspension in general.

The stock suspension setup of all cars is weird, and it's weird to the point that in some cases you can't actually set the values in customisable suspension to match those of the real world. Like, it's really easy to find out all the values for an NA MX-5; try and put them in. 1.49 changed the stock setup of a lot of cars, but this still persists.

If you want to actually see it in action, just go to any race where the AI cars are road cars at 500PP or less. The way they pitch under braking is absurd; sure these aren't stiffly sprung performance cars (except, you know, those that are), but the rear suspension reaches maximum travel on even benign stuff like the Alfa Romeo MiTo with very little provocation and the AI can even get the rear tyres off the ground (because they can exert more braking force than you can, by a long, long way). Just on stock brakes. And even on the dirt.

How the new physics works exactly, I can't say, but the fact is the launching cars in 1.49 and the persisting issues with some vehicles some of the time in 1.50/1.52 look very much related because it's all about rear expansion. In 1.49 the physics engine was clearly returning an out-of-range value and glitching out to cause the launches; for the current game version there's some instances where the rear expansion will reach maximum and then reset to cause bouncing. And yes, it exists.

Now... with all things considered, it's like there's some kind of fudging calculation between [suspension wants to do A] and [suspension does C] that's something like [suspension is supposed to do B] in order to create a more realistic behaviour - hence the weird stock settings and the impossibility of entering real ones.

I'm not saying that it's exactly the same thing, but... way, way back in the olden days of GT3 you could use things like GT3gEdit to extract full vehicle settings values as .ini files, edit them in Notepad, and then insert them back into the game - sometimes creating extreme values. There was a strange value called "Grip" which, it turned out after making some adjustments to it, seemed to be a setting for how "connected" (for want of a better word) the car's suspension was to its body. It had no obvious visual effects, but if set super low it made the car do this:

(ignore the F1 car chassis and the extreme camber)

High values, as I recall, basically made the car entirely inelastic.

Again, not saying that it's the same thing at all, but there is obviously a middle step in the suspension physics that we can't see and in GT3 "Grip" was just such a thing.

Interesting when it came to the FTO. I wonder, if PD do add the GNX, if they’ll replicate its rear suspension accurately.

You shouldn’t have to tune out a bug in a game ffs!
And yet, it's what we've been doing for 30 years. One could argue, because of the frequency and persistence of this activity over the past 30 years, this might be intentional 🤣
For the 27th time. No, they don’t.
And yet, Sport Mode works fine. The Time Trials work fine. I'll wager that the majority of players have no idea that this allegedly grave issue exists at all. That alone would suggest that, the other 400+ cars, do indeed work fine.

Remember, I only know of this issue because I found this thread. If I had never found this thread, I would have no knowledge of this (arguable) issue, and I play the game daily. I've tested (most of) these allegedly broken cars and found nothing.

I never wanted the 500 Mondial, but I might now, just so I can mess around with it.

Interesting when it came to the FTO. I wonder, if PD do add the GNX, if they’ll replicate its rear suspension accurately.

EP0xPlFt-Doubt.jpg

:guilty::guilty:

Back