The World's Best Car

• Thread starter JMoney
  • 61 comments
United States
N. Jessamine, KY
JMoney-689
Woodside689
A seemingly impossible question, but I want to know what everyone thinks. I want every possible factor to be considered in your nomination. Performance, Styling, Reliability, Value, Practicality, Market Success, and anything else you can think of.

When nominations end on May 11th, 12:00am EST, OR 32 cars are nominated (at most two per member), that have a "like" (not by the nominator), I will arrange the cars in a march madness bracket-style tournament, and over the next couple of weeks we will vote on each matchup, narrowing the compitetion until the world's best car is crowned.

(All future threads related to the tournament will be titled with the "WBC-" prefix.)

I'll keep track of the nominations and likes here. The cars will be seeded based on the total number of likes they have.

Criteria for nomination:

-A specific model trim must be named for consideration.
-The car must be road legal.
-At least 50 total examples of the model must have been made (or are planning to be made).
-The model must have an article on Wikipedia published before this OP so I can easily confirm the criteria above.

Current Successful Nomination List:
Ford Mustang Mach 1 ('69)
Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo MkII
Citreön DS
Citreön 2CV
Honda Civic Si
BMW E39 M5
McLaren F1
Dodge Neon SRT4
Dodge Viper ACR ('10)
Volvo 740 Turbo
Volvo S80 T6
Volvo P1800S
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Subaru Impreza WRX STi ('10)
Subari Impreza 22B STi ('98)
Volkswagen Touran 2.0 TDI
Kia Spectra S
Radical SR8
Mazda Miata R
Toyota Camry ('97-'01)
Toyota Camry LE ('07-'11)
BMW M550d X-Drive Touring
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II ('02)
Tesla Model S
Land Rover Defender 110
BMW i8

Last edited:
So the "World's best car" has to come from the first 32 cars nominated? :odd:

This is one of those threads that needs thought out, and organising, and looked after, and you have proven in the past that you are not the type to be able to do that.

See here and here for example.

And if anyone wants to do this again, I believe @YSSMAN should get first refusal as it has traditionally been his baby.

So the "World's best car" has to come from the first 32 cars nominated? :odd:

This is one of those threads that needs thought out, and organising, and looked after, and you have proven in the past that you are not the type to be able to do that.

See here and here for example.

And if anyone wants to do this again, I believe @YSSMAN should get first refusal as it has traditionally been his baby.

I understand your concern, but this idea is far less complex than either of my other ideas, and it will only take a couple of weeks.

1st nomination would be any of the Subaru Impreza WRX or STI models. Great daily drivers, great offroad, great rally, great during winter, and great on the track. They really are an AWD car that can be used for most anything. IMO its very hard to top a Subaru Impreza for an all around "worlds best car".

2nd Nomination would go to any of the Skylines for all of the same reasons I listed above.

Citroen DS. One of the most beautiful cars ever made, and definitely one of the most advanced for its time. Citroen sold over 1.5 million over 20 years.
schwarzer_DS.jpg
According to experts it's the most beautiful car ever made. French president Charles de Gaulle claimed that the car's handling and suspension saved his life when he had to escape a gunman with two shot out tyres. The DS was favoured by French taxi drivers for decades, yet is still an incredibly classy car. It looks more futuristic than most modern cars, too. Arguably, the DS is one of the rare "classless cars" alongside the Ford Model A, original Mustang, or original Mini. It's a car one could buy on emotional appeal alone, but it's also a simply excellent car. Despite not being very powerful, it won the Monte Carlo rally twice.

Giorgetto Giugiaro: “The only example of a car really conceived ‘outside the box’. It is just impossible to imitate.”
Leonardo Fioravanti (former Pininfarina design chief and the man behind Ferrari’s Daytona, Dino and 308GTB): “A real road car that, at its time and perhaps still now, has represented the ‘dream’ in its extreme progress.”
Peter Stevens (British great responsible for the McLaren F1 and second-generation Lotus Esprit): “I have always considered the fact that this car was first drawn in 1955 to be extraordinary.”
Marcello Gandini (Bertone stalwart responsible for Lancia Stratos and Lamborghini Countach among many others): “At the time I think it was complete folly, madness from a business and industrial point of view… but it was a really innovative car in 1955. A few people may have thought of all those beautiful ideas, but it was real bravery to implement all of them in one car.”

Last edited:
1969 Mustang. Mach 1 trim.

14132_05.jpg

Host of engines that are all well known for reliability. Fast enough. Cheap go fast parts. Easy to work on. Badass looks and presence. Loud. Not extremely heavy. Shaker hood. Surprisngly good handling. Comfortable ride, nice interior. Squishy seats. Room for 4. Fake wood. A clock that actually has arms. Fastback. Not ridiculous with stripes. Matte black hood. Doesn't typically cost more than $10k-$15k for an extremely nice example. That's less than buying a brand new crappy 4 banger Focus. Oh, and the name.

What more could you ask for.

Why didn't I nominate a Boss 302 or 429? Because virtually unattainable for the average Joe. Cars should be acquirable for anyone who wants one. For the "worlds best car", that's part of my personal criteria as for what fits the bill.

Besides. A good Mach 1 is absolutely GORGEOUS to look at.

Those "experts" apparently have their head up their ass.

:lol:

How many have you seen in real life? Photos don't do them justice, and the USDM headlight treatment is quite ugly. But parked at the side of the street it looks utterly breathtaking. And anyone who has any idea what coolness actually is knows that it's one of the coolest cars ever made.

How many have you seen in real life? Photos don't do them justice, and the USDM headlight treatment is quite ugly. But parked at the side of the street it looks utterly breathtaking. And anyone who has any idea what coolness actually is knows that it's one of the coolest cars ever made.
I wouldn't doubt it for a second, but I wouldn't say it's the best.

Can their really be a "best"?

Shots fired!

Meanwhile, since I'll actually follow the criteria, I nominate the Dodge Neon SRT-4. Little lacking in the styling department, from person to person I suppose, but it fills the rest of the marks. Only better car I can think of off the top of my head is the Civic that @xXKingJoshXx beat me to.

I wouldn't doubt it for a second, but I wouldn't say it's the best.

Can their really be a "best"?
Best is a horribly vague term. I honestly hate using it in a context like this. But I do think that the DS is the best car ever made. It's so advanced, so cool, and works so well as a car. See also: the video in my post above.

I agree, the term is incredibly vague.

This is one of those things were "best car" is defined by your own opinion. There's no right answer for everyone, and only one right answer for you.

-A specific model trim must be named for consideration.
Second generation Volvo S80. In particular, the T6.
-The car must be road legal.
-At least 50 total examples of the model must have been made (or are planning to be made).
👍 and 👍
-The model must have an article on Wikipedia published before this OP so I can easily confirm the criteria above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_S80#Second_generation_.282006.E2.80.93present.29

1969 Mustang. Mach 1 trim.

14132_05.jpg

Host of engines that are all well known for reliability. Fast enough. Cheap go fast parts. Easy to work on. Badass looks and presence. Loud. Not extremely heavy. Shaker hood. Surprisngly good handling. Comfortable ride, nice interior. Squishy seats. Room for 4. Fake wood. A clock that actually has arms. Fastback. Not ridiculous with stripes. Matte black hood. Doesn't typically cost more than $10k-$15k for an extremely nice example. That's less than buying a brand new crappy 4 banger Focus. Oh, and the name.

What more could you ask for.

Why didn't I nominate a Boss 302 or 429? Because virtually unattainable for the average Joe. Cars should be acquirable for anyone who wants one. For the "worlds best car", that's part of my personal criteria as for what fits the bill.

Besides. A good Mach 1 is absolutely GORGEOUS to look at.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Gotta nominate the McLaren. Unlike ANY other supercar, or even sports car, it can hold three full-size adults and still go 230 mph. And it is beautiful.

image.jpg

Last edited:
The car that travels the most distance before something goes wrong with it....best. Most everything else is subjective.

The Volkswagen Touran 2.0 TDI.

640px-VW_Touran_II._Facelift_rear_20100925.jpg

A car which excels in simply every applicable area.

And, the Volvo P1800S

800px-Volvop18395va1961front.jpg

My parent's had one of these many years ago, so I get rather a feeling of nostalgia towards them.

Also, it's gorgeous, was in The Saint, and one of them has been driven 3 million miles, further than any other car is known to have done.

Last edited:
Ohh, ok, I took the single use comment as disposable....or they don't last long.

Single use as in the premise of the thread is well-founded because all cars can be compared on a single scale. See, if cars were bought to do different jobs by different people with different tastes, this entire thread would be an idiotic waste of time.

FG MkII Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, converted to run on liquid injection LPG.

162955843.jpg

Reliable (mostly, depends on who does the LPG conversion), cheap on fuel, cheap to maintain, incredible bargain on the used market thanks to bad resale value, wolf-in-sheep's-clothing quick, seats five in comfort, isn't too bad through the corners, 2.3 tonne towing capacity, understated looks, easy to modify, comes in both auto and manual both of which are great transmissions.

Wiki

Comes in ute form too but the sedan is my nomination as it can contain more people; the ute is not a dual-cab.

Back