The World's Best Car

• Thread starter JMoney
  • 61 comments
And if anyone wants to do this again, I believe @YSSMAN should get first refusal as it has traditionally been his baby.

RE: @JMoney689

I'm good for people wanting to do it again. Methods will have to be cooked up properly, of course. If we really wanted to make it a thing, however, I'd suggest going about it properly. I'd suggest doing a Google Doc to let people submit choices, that way you can easily filter through the results, and go from there. Do it March Madness style, and you can filter through winners easily. If you want to get really fancy, do some updates on the YouTube for everyone to see. If you need help, you know who to ask...

My nomination:

BMW M5 (E39)

BMW-M5-E39.jpg

• 4-door, so it's practical.

• Has a 394HP 4.9L V8, so it has the power.

• It had a 6-speed manual, so you can have fun with it, and drastically reduce the likelihood of it being stolen if you live in 'Merica.
    • Looks damn good, even today.
    • Pretty fast too, you can hit 60 MPH in just under 5 seconds, on to 186 MPH if you take the limiter off.
    • It even went round the TGTT in 1:27, more relevant than the 'Ring (IMHO).

Wikipedia
I think that wraps it up.

Last edited:
BMW M550d xDrive Touring
BMW-M550d_xDrive_Touring_2013_photo_01.jpg

• It's a wagon so it's really practical
  • It's a diesel, so it's economical
  • It's AWD
  • It has a 381hp, tri-turbo inline-6
  • It has 546 torques, so it'll pull like a train
  • 0-60 in 4.9 seconds means it's seriously quick.
Wikipedia

FG MkII Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, converted to run on liquid injection LPG.

162955843.jpg

Reliable (mostly, depends on who does the LPG conversion), cheap on fuel, cheap to maintain, incredible bargain on the used market thanks to bad resale value, wolf-in-sheep's-clothing quick, seats five in comfort, isn't too bad through the corners, 2.3 tonne towing capacity, understated looks, easy to modify, comes in both auto and manual both of which are great transmissions.

Wiki

Comes in ute form too but the sedan is my nomination as it can contain more people; the ute is not a dual-cab.
Also I just want to add that the Falcon has been in production since 1960. Since 1972 it has been adopted as a proud Australian motor where it has been available as a sedan, ute, coupe, panel van and station wagon form. It has been for years a dominate force as the car of choice for both taxi and police fleets and not to forget a dominate force on the racetrack. Over 3 million have been made with majority of them being sold in Australia and New Zealand, a few have been sold in South Africa.

So quite simply with the Ford Falcon we have the worlds best car.

And, the Volvo P1800S

800px-Volvop18395va1961front.jpg

My parent's had one of these many years ago, so I get rather a feeling of nostalgia towards them.

Also, it's gorgeous, was in The Saint, and one of them has been driven 3 million miles, further than any other car is known to have done.
Your parents are awesome, I've only seen one: an estate painted gold.

I like how the second reply to this thread was a moderator expressing concern that @JMoney689 would flake out again and fail to give it proper maintenance.

Almost a week and over a dozen nominations later, no updates to the nominations list.

:lol:
I especially like how he's not even updated his own nomination...

I like how the second reply to this thread was a moderator expressing concern that @JMoney689 would flake out again and fail to give it proper maintenance.

Almost a week and over a dozen nominations later, no updates to the nominations list.

:lol:
In fairness, you also have people who completely fail to read the first post & go straight to, "I'll post my favorite car ever". He did ask for reasons why in various categories & all some people did was post a car & a picture including yourself just to make some jokes.
Performance, Styling, Reliability, Value, Practicality, Market Success, and anything else you can think of.

In fairness, you also have people who completely fail to read the first post & go straight to, "I'll post my favorite car ever". He did ask for reasons why in various categories & all some people did was post a car & a picture including yourself just to make some jokes.

I don't think there were categories... He included the performance, styling, reliability, etc. I read it as a competition to find the best car period.

A seemingly impossible question, but I want to know what everyone thinks. I want every possible factor to be considered in your nomination.

I don't think there were categories... He included the performance, styling, reliability, etc. I read it as a competition to find the best car period.
Categories, factors, whatever you want to call it, it's clear he wanted people to do more than just a picture of the car. He wanted people to explain their nominations based on those factors.

I was planning on making a "GTP 2014 Car of the Year" thread in December with multiple classes and having a very well thought out one...

Categories, factors, whatever you want to call it, it's clear he wanted people to do more than just a picture of the car. He wanted people to explain their nominations based on those factors.
I took it as just wanting some consideration of all those things in your choice. He listed requirements for each car and how to select the cars but never suggested a format for posting.

Mazda Miata.

We're Number 1. #1 #We're the Best!

Track Day Bra, Track Day, We're always #1...
And so on and so forth...

Ok Miatas we don't have a boot like Jennifer Lopez... We don't have the power of say Godzilla... we look way to happy with our grill... our owners are a little too Douche you may say, however on a daily affordable basis, pound for pound; dollar for dollar; orgasm for well you know you will not get her there, the Miata is the only car to put a shi÷zzle eating grin on your face for less then a hooker from Russia in the state of New York will charge you...

Add in a 13b or even better, a Ls Series then you'll have hooker from Hollywood jealous of you... minus a few creams you might need to apply. :-)

Mazda Miata because we're the breast, We're number 1 ;-)

Oh one short edit, 1995 Miata with R package :-)

Last edited:
Apologies for inactivity...

I left my phone in my pants and they went through the wash, and I just now got a new phone.

I especially like how he's not even updated his own nomination...

I'll fix that...

Last edited:
And the OP says that any nomination which gets a like will be added to the list.

It's too late to change that now. Update the list so that it has more than 3 cars...

21 spots are now filled, with 11 remaining.

And now for my second nomination...

Ford Crown Victoria

image.jpg

Cabbies use them. The elderly use them. Police use them. People wanting to look like police use them.

A used black Interceptor model with spotlight IS the safest car you can buy in America. If everyone thinks you are a cop, they will drive sensibly around you.

Plus, it's a RWD V8.

I'd like to make a second nomination:
Tesla Model S P85
tesla_model_s_in_white_at_the_beach-t2.jpg
Some may not like it, but the Tesla Model S is the future of cars. And it proves that the future is very exciting. It's designed with incredible attention to detail. Unlike previous electric cars it has an incredibly useful real world range, and is faster in a straight line than some supercars. It's an excellent luxury car, but the rear hatch, frunk, and 5+2 seating make it very practical. And the interior is a clean, timeless design with a very easy to use infotainment system (I speak from experience here).

teslamodelsdrive-16.jpg

It's a beautiful and very capable car, and breaks new ground for the automobile as we know it. It is the future.

My second nomination:

BMW i8
2014-bmw-i8-wallpapers-38.jpg

A £100k, 911 baiting hybrid sports car with a carbon-fibre construction designed to be fast and efficient. With a combined 362hp coming from a heavily turbocharged 1.5 litre inline-3 making 231hp and a 192hp electric motor, the i8 claims 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. Yet despite the performance, it'll still get around 135mpg. BMW claim this is the sports car of the future, and the future is here right now.

Wikipedia

My second nomination:

BMW i8
2014-bmw-i8-wallpapers-38.jpg

A £100k, 911 baiting hybrid sports car with a carbon-fibre construction designed to be fast and efficient. With a combined 362hp coming from a heavily turbocharged 1.5 litre inline-3 making 231hp and a 192hp electric motor, the i8 claims 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. Yet despite the performance, it'll still get around 135mpg. BMW claim this is the sports car of the future, and the future is here right now.

Wikipedia

Cherry picked, ideal-case numbers not achievable in real life it seems.

"The car informed me my fuel economy after a few hours of abusive driving was 32.3 mpg."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1404_2014_bmw_i8_first_drive/

"If the commute includes extra-urban or motorway driving, the i8 can return less than 7 l/100 km (40.3 mpg UK, 30.6 mpg US), while in longer-distance operation at higher speeds, average fuel consumption can be under 8 l/100 km (35.3 mpg UK, 29.4 mpg US)."

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/bmw-i8-deliveries-start-in-june-2014.html

Cherry picked, ideal-case numbers not achievable in real life it seems.

"The car informed me my fuel economy after a few hours of abusive driving was 32.3 mpg."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1404_2014_bmw_i8_first_drive/

"If the commute includes extra-urban or motorway driving, the i8 can return less than 7 l/100 km (40.3 mpg UK, 30.6 mpg US), while in longer-distance operation at higher speeds, average fuel consumption can be under 8 l/100 km (35.3 mpg UK, 29.4 mpg US)."

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/bmw-i8-deliveries-start-in-june-2014.html

For the record, the 6.2 liter, non-hybrid, non-turbo, C7 Corvette:

"So I filled up the new Corvette; it took only 3.34 gallons to refuel the C7 after the trip. That's a stunning 37.3 mpg over that course, almost 14 percent more parsimonious than the mileage performance turned in by the 2009 car. "

http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...chevy-corvette-on-a-fuel-economy-run-16686407

A staggering $75,000 less dear, better looking, and faster.

edit: Meant for this to be one post, my mistake.

21 spots are now filled, with 11 remaining.

And now for my second nomination...

Ford Crown Victoria

View attachment 153313

Cabbies use them. The elderly use them. Police use them. People wanting to look like police use them.

A used black Interceptor model with spotlight IS the safest car you can buy in America. If everyone thinks you are a cop, they will drive sensibly around you.

Plus, it's a RWD V8.
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm going for either the Crown Vic or Camry.

Back