• Poll closed .

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
First things first, I want to thank everyone who has participated in these threads. I really wasn't sure if it was going to work out when it first started all those months ago, but now we are finially at the end of the line, the crowning of the "World's Best Car" as voted by you, the GTPlanet.net users.

---

The Nominees:

- From The United Kingdom, the BMC Mini:

- From Italy, the Lamborghini Muria:

- From France, the Bugatti Veyron:

- From Japan, the Mazda MX-5 Mitata:

- From Korea, the Hyundai Tiburon/Coupe:

- From Australia, the Holden Monaro:

- From Sweeden, the Koenigsegg CC (all versions):

- From Germany, the Porsche 911:

- From The United States of America, the Chevrolet Corvette:

------------

So, there you have it kids, the world's best automobiles. You've got a week to vote, as we don't have to go through the different rounds. Have fun, debate, etc.

Remember, this is a contest for "best" car, so that may not mean the fastest or best looking... But maybe the most-important or influential.

Keep it as clean as possible, don't forget to vote, and have fun!

BMC Mini FTW! Even my patriotism (shallow though it may be) and lust for supercars can't pull me away from it. I simply think it did more than any other car on the list, and it even won races. But I was this close to voting 911.

I obviously wen't with the Vette. My extreme patriotism and love for GM couldn't be stopped in this one, as the car has had a massive influence on the market not only in the US, but on the world scale as well. Considering how much the game has changed since 1953, you know that Chevrolet is doing something right with the car, as it has remained on top for well over 50 years in the US and on the world scale as well.

Of course just like any car, it has had it's ups and downs, but for the most part, the Corvette has been a dominant force in the industry. Although it is known as an innovator here in the US, many of it's speciality features were borrowed from European racecars... Making cutting-edge racing technology affordable for the everyday sportscar driver, giving companies like Ferrari and Porsche something to think about.

It can be argued that the 911 is a better icon worldwide, but for me, the Vette takes the cake. It is the yardstick by which nearly every car is measured (along with the 3-series and Accord), and it seems that it will remain that way for quite some time. Without the Corvette, it is tough to imagine what the world would be like today...

Is it just me, or do you guys think none of the vehicles above are the world's best? I could see myself saying any one of them are the country's best vehicle, but the world's best car? None of them are spectacular all-rounders. We're giving an award here for the best car ever manufactured - and I don't think any one of these vehicles fit the bill. Am I wrong?

I really and honestly believe the Ford Model T is the best car ever made, simply because it truly did revolutionize the auto industry like no vehicle ever will, and it had very little to do with its specs - just its production process and, therefore, its price. I recognize the contributions of all the above cars, but to me, none of them fit the bill here.

IMO, only the 911 can deserve to be best car in the world out of the options. The Mini would be second because it really did become an icon. How did the MX5 beat the Skyline and NSX? How did the Miura beat all the great Ferrari's, Alfalfas and even historic FIATs? The 911 deserves to represent Germany, but there are tons of other BMWs, Audis, Mercedes and VWs that were great cars too.

Pontiac Aztek!

No, wait. :confused:

Anyway, seriously, “best” is hard to measure. For me, “best” has to include under 30 grand – it’s way too easy to make a good car for more than 30 thousand (though some manufacturers still mess up somehow). The only under-30-grand cars that I like from that list are the Mini and the Miata (M&M?). It’s difficult to choose between those two, though I lean slightly towards the Mini, just because it’s a packaging marvel.

none of those cars even comes close to what i would call the worlds best car.

however, if we are talking about most influential/ significant, then only the mini can be called that. thats what i voted for.

my votes were for the
willys jeep
mini
citroen 2CV
mercedes 600
alfa guilia
volvo 122
toyota truck

those are pretty significant/ influential in comparison to that lot up there.^^^^^

Is it just me, or do you guys think none of the vehicles above are the world's best? .....

I really and honestly believe the Ford Model T is the best car ever made, ...
Well, why didn't you post about it and vote for it in the USA thread? 💡

Sorry, Dan. I merged your posts just as you were editing it. You then edited the merged one and lost your post. Sorry. :scared:

Daan - you're just too efficient for your own good ;)

none of those cars even comes close to what i would call the worlds best car.

however, if we are talking about most influential/ significant, then only the mini can be called that. thats what i voted for.

my votes were for the
willys jeep
mini
citroen 2CV
mercedes 600
alfa guilia
volvo 122
toyota truck

those are pretty significant/ influential in comparison to that lot up there.^^^^^

When the original interest thread was posted i asked for some clarification on what aspect we were actually voting for - but it fell on deaf ears :rolleyes:

We've ended up voting for a hotch-potch collection of influential, great and fan-boy/bedroom poster cars - with the above outcome!

I really and honestly believe the Ford Model T is the best car ever made, simply because it truly did revolutionize the auto industry like no vehicle ever will, and it had very little to do with its specs - just its production process and, therefore, its price. I recognize the contributions of all the above cars, but to me, none of them fit the bill here.

The Model T wasn't a great car - just a great way to make one. We are voting for cars not production processes!

I'm voting for the Mini, they were affordable, handled great, well packaged, easy to work on/repair. It won rallies, it became and icon, it had a huge influence on the industry then, and now. The 911 isn't affordable, it is an icon and it does provide a great driving experience it, but that's no good to me I can't afford a 911. The Mini is not only fun to drive, it's cheap and practical too.

Hmmm, I see some good cars there but IMO i cant pick any as i do not think there is a 'best car' in the world, i dont see the MX-5 Miata as the best Japanese car, but i do think if there was a 'best car' in the world that it would come from Japan!

Sorry if i have been useless in this poll.

Barry

I had to vote for the 911. Its been one of my favorite cars for a long time and its just a classic, which I hope will never stop being produced.

Although there's no overall "best" car, I'm going with the Porsche 911 series. It's a venerable work of machinery both on the road and the track for 40 years, and never went through any awkward stage even during the bleak times of restrictions and emissions, and always evolved with the times. Timeless shape, design, and execution, too (even though there's very few other good examples where a rear-engine platform works).

The 911.

It blows away everything else for heritage, driving ability and outright pace. The Veyron may be quicker in a straight line, but once those roads get twisty, I'd wager the 911 would have the upper hand.

Porsche basically took a "wrong" drivetrain and developed it into one of the all time great layouts.
911turbo_08.JPG

I think it looked best in 996 Turbo guise.

I really couldn't single out the worlds best car myself, out of them above I would have to choose the Porsche 911. I am not a huge fan of the car but I do have great respect for it.

Fiat 500...quite the seller, some say it's low-cost, cramped fun.

I've just checked Wiki and out of the list of a dozen or so rear-engined cars only the Corvair and perhaps DeLorean are cars well known for 'not being all that great' - the rest have been very good sellers and/or have had great motorsport success.

I don't really get where the 'engine in the wrong place' stigma comes from?

Well unlike most I think this list is just fine. I'm not sure what everyone wanted? Did you guys want a bunch of super cars up there? The model T, please, it wasn't the car that was revolutionary it was the process of making the car.

Our list is fine, we went around to different countries and people nominated and then voted on their favorites. For some they voted for the fastest, the most revolutionary, the best looking, or who knows what else but this is the list the masses celected. I am thrilled with the list because I don't think we have one "fanboy" car up there.

Anyway, my vote goes for the Corvette. Suprise right? It's got heritage, prestige, a huge fanatical following, and top notch performance at bargin prices. I do think it's clear that the 911 will win and who could argue with that? It is a fantastic car too and I think when you look at world cars and try to pick five of the greatest cars, the Vette and 911 would be at the top of everyones list.

This World Series things was great, what do we do next?

Wow, I'm kind of surprised to see how many voted 911. I chose the 911 also, mainly because of the engineering challenges that Porsche had to overcome in order to make the rear-engined car work so astoundingly well in everything it does. I'm sure most people on this site do, but the majority of people in the world--if they even care--has not a clue as to how difficult it might be to make a car go around a corner easily with 60% of the weight in the back. GM couldn't do it with the Corvair, but performance isn't what they were after, I suppose. Still, the 911 might as well break the laws of physics, even though that's quite impossible. Porsche's engineers are just some of the best automotive engineers on the planet. The current rendition is one of the best all-round performance cars on the planet; one of the best handlers (who knows how they pulled that one off), best brakers (okay, so that one wasn't difficult to achieve), and best accelerators (hey, the cornering thing was the hard part) that you can get. And it has leatha.

Porsche 911. Everyone wants to baseline any performance car on it, everyone secretly wants one, and the technology that keeps the RR drivetrain working is astounding. Oh yea, and it's always been a very good looking car.

Why the Porsche 911 is King.*

Porsche's are the only luxury sports cars in the world that can reliably leave your garage in the morning, drive all the way across the continent, do a dozen laps on the Ring, drive all the way back, park up, go to bed, wake up and start first time.
Add to this the fact that Porsche's greatest global market, the USA, still uses AWFUL fuel, the cars are set up to run 95 ron and lower still.

Anyone who thinks Porsches are overpriced status icons and nothing else, you need a reality check. Get yourselves out and ask, beg, pray, steal whatever - get a test drive in a 911 - for any motoring enthusiast, it's a soul changing event. Honestly, 400 trillion Porsche owners can't be wrong!

Quick story.
I was out in my 60k GTR, tricked up with the latest technology from Japan, hand build mods from Nismo herself, doing a few gentle laps at the Ring. Yeah, look at me - I'm the don, I'm in a Skyline and nothing can touch me, all 530 of my 4 wheel driven horses, I'm king. And the BAM out of nowhere I swear to god, this GT3 overtakes me, in the wet, on the outside - and to add insult to injury, he leaves the biggest, fattest black lines I've ever seen. I'm quite simply gob-smacked.

I get home, put the girl up for sale and go to a Porsche dealer and test drive a GT3. Visceral, carnal, intense, vivid - these are the sensations I remember on my first drive. Getting back into my GTR was like switching from Dolby Digital to Mono. I put an order in for one the next day.

My RS was the greatest car I've ever driven. However, you would not believe the attention it got on the roads. I used to have Mk1 fiestas quite literally up my aRSe flashing me, egging me on to go faster. Traffic lights had Peugeot 405's revving their engines. Nova's playing musical chairs on the M25. Fact is, people want to see you driving fast and this is why you'll find most 911 drivers actually scared to do anything in fear of provoking the 'Senna' syndrome in many psycho drivers. Most of them are too sensible.

550 was the same, it's not just Porsches. People are desperate to see an exotic car cane it down the road. The second most GATSO photographed car in the UK is a Porsche.

Porsche have an incredible business model. They do not offer discount, floor mats are an optional extra and factory collection costs you £900.00.
They are the most profitable car company in the world. They've instilled desire in a product that filters through to every walk of life. Boxster, 911, Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera - they've diluted the brand to an extent where they no longer cater for the discerning individual aspiring to the 911. I hate Porsche for charging me £80.00 for floor mats. I hate the fact that the words "discount" are followed very closely by "Er, no sir". However this solid price fixing ensures relatively good residuals from what is essentially a crippled segment of the car market.

Additionally, to comment on the request for lightweight cars, this is just a fantasy. I went to the UK launch for the 997 GT3 and the Marketing Director explained interestingly the reasons for continued weight growth. Normally Porsche isn't about power, but the continued pressures from legislation by government and automotive bodies means extra weight. Things like air-bags, ABS, side impact bars, crumple zones, etc. etc. mean the cars are simply getting heavier. This means power needs to be increased to cope with the race as presented by other manufacturers. Mercedes have nearly 1000ft/lb engines in production class cars, but these cars weigh over 2 tonne.

My 997 GT3 arrives in Nov/Dec and for me, it's Porsche doing what they do best. No compromise, a single aim with Porsche hitting the target perfectly.

Here's a pic of me at Spa.

10.jpg

*Taken from a car enthusiasts forum

Some fun facts about 911's

* 18000 mile service interval (which only costs £500, £1500 on 40,000mile service though)
* 997 GT3 Lapped the 'ring in 7'39
* 2nd most gatso'ed car in the UK (so much for porsches being a posers car;)) (A gatso is a speed camera)
* Nearly every manufacturer have a 5% tolerance in BHP figures.Porsche on the other hand pride themselves on only having a 1% tolerance with their engines.

Why the Porsche 911 is King.*

Porsche's are the only luxury sports cars in the world that can reliably leave your garage in the morning, drive all the way across the continent, do a dozen laps on the Ring, drive all the way back, park up, go to bed, wake up and start first time.
Add to this the fact that Porsche's greatest global market, the USA, still uses AWFUL fuel, the cars are set up to run 95 ron and lower still.

Anyone who thinks Porsches are overpriced status icons and nothing else, you need a reality check. Get yourselves out and ask, beg, pray, steal whatever - get a test drive in a 911 - for any motoring enthusiast, it's a soul changing event. Honestly, 400 trillion Porsche owners can't be wrong!

Forthly, anyone who thinks Subaru's are tacky, useless chav mobiles who's only redeeming feature is an outdated rallying heritage, get out of those clouds. For sub 20k, there just is not a better road car for petrol heads.

Quick story.
I was out in my 60k GTR, tricked up with the latest technology from Japan, hand build mods from Nismo herself, doing a few gentle laps at the Ring. Yeah, look at me - I'm the don, I'm in a Skyline and nothing can touch me, all 530 of my 4 wheel driven horses, I'm king. And the BAM out of nowhere I swear to god, this GT3 overtakes me, in the wet, on the outside - and to add insult to injury, he leaves the biggest, fattest black lines I've ever seen. I'm quite simply gob-smacked.

I get home, put the girl up for sale and go to a Porsche dealer and test drive a GT3. Visceral, carnal, intense, vivid - these are the sensations I remember on my first drive. Getting back into my GTR was like switching from Dolby Digital to Mono. I put an order in for one the next day.

My RS was the greatest car I've ever driven. However, you would not believe the attention it got on the roads. I used to have Mk1 fiestas quite literally up my aRSe flashing me, egging me on to go faster. Traffic lights had Peugeot 405's revving their engines. Nova's playing musical chairs on the M25. Fact is, people want to see you driving fast and this is why you'll find most 911 drivers actually scared to do anything in fear of provoking the 'Senna' syndrome in many psycho drivers. Most of them are too sensible.

550 was the same, it's not just Porsches. People are desperate to see an exotic car cane it down the road. The second most GATSO photographed car in the UK is a Porsche.

Porsche have an incredible business model. They do not offer discount, floor mats are an optional extra and factory collection costs you £900.00.
They are the most profitable car company in the world. They've instilled desire in a product that filters through to every walk of life. Boxster, 911, Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera - they've diluted the brand to an extent where they no longer cater for the discerning individual aspiring to the 911. I hate Porsche for charging me £80.00 for floor mats. I hate the fact that the words "discount" are followed very closely by "Er, no sir". However this solid price fixing ensures relatively good residuals from what is essentially a crippled segment of the car market.

Additionally, to comment on the request for lightweight cars, this is just a fantasy. I went to the UK launch for the 997 GT3 and the Marketing Director explained interestingly the reasons for continued weight growth. Normally Porsche isn't about power, but the continued pressures from legislation by government and automotive bodies means extra weight. Things like air-bags, ABS, side impact bars, crumple zones, etc. etc. mean the cars are simply getting heavier. This means power needs to be increased to cope with the race as presented by other manufacturers. Mercedes have nearly 1000ft/lb engines in production class cars, but these cars weigh over 2 tonne.

My 997 GT3 arrives in Nov/Dec and for me, it's Porsche doing what they do best. No compromise, a single aim with Porsche hitting the target perfectly.

Here's a pic of me at Spa.

10.jpg

*Taken from a car enthusiasts forum

Some fun facts about 911's

* 18000 mile service interval
* 997 GT3 Laps the 'ring in 7'39
* 2nd most gatso'ed car in the UK (so much for porsches being a posers car;)) (A gatso is a speed camera)
* Nearly every manufacturer have a 5% tolerance in BHP figures.Porsche on the other hand pride themselves on only having a 1% tolerance with their engines.

Nice. Assuming you didn't write it, any link?

^It's taken from a car enthusiasts forum.

It's a very inspired post, but there's some opinion stated as fact and some fact that's just wrong in their, like the opening paragraph. The 911 does deserve credit and I would happily rate it the best sportscar ever, but the fact that it isn't affordable completely destroys it's chances of being the best car ever, You could make the perfect car, but if people can't afford it it's no good really. The 911 isn't stupidly expensive, but it's certainly not affordable either, not a car most people can just buy one of in their life.

^It's taken from a car enthusiasts forum.

It's a very inspired post, but there's some opinion stated as fact and some fact that's just wrong in their, like the opening paragraph. The 911 does deserve credit and I would happily rate it the best sportscar ever, but the fact that it isn't affordable completely destroys it's chances of being the best car ever, You could make the perfect car, but if people can't afford it it's no good really. The 911 isn't stupidly expensive, but it's certainly not affordable either, not a car most people can just buy one of in their life.

But if that were a deciding factor for the greatest car, then the poll would be between the Mini, Mazda MX-5 and Hyundai!

Back