Things to do in America (Updated, Alphabetized)

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 54 comments
Those pics are amazing a6m5! You like cycling too?
I used to. I haven't owned a bike in decades. :D I thought that was a nice pic to represent Crater Lake and our State, because cycling is HUGE here.

I used to. I haven't owned a bike in decades. :D I thought that was a nice pic to represent Crater Lake and our State, because cycling is HUGE here.

Back in my Bicycle Racing days, all I would ever hear about is how nice it is to ride out on the West Coast, and how the schools have teams for the sport. It would be great to go out there and ride, or heck even get my old uniform back on, but without two years of practice and racing, I'm guessing my skills are a bit rusty...

This list could be VERY large becuase colorado is the best state in the country to live in of course. Here are a few of my favorite things. I'll add more later

COLORADO

Mesa Verde National Park

photo1largegi5.jpg

Glenwood Springs natural Hot Springs pool

homewinter062wx1.jpg

Seven Falls

fallsnightlgzk5.jpg

Denver Art Museum

20060507denverartmuseuqh5.jpg

Great Sand Dunes National Monument

dunescristos03aj8.jpg

Rocky Mountain National Park

thunderlakermnpzp0.gif

You have Vail listed as Vale. And for anyone who cares...for some reason Hollywood likes Aspen, But on the down low, Vail Kicks Aspens butt.

indexphotoar9.jpg

Danoff
Can you eat Gator in Florida?

Yes, you can. Gator tails, mostly. I've had them breaded and deep fried. It's not bad, actually if you don't mind stuff that tastes 'gamey'. I also once dated a girl from Gainesville... (Gator-tail... get it? :sly: )

In certain backwoods events, like at a snake roundup, you can also eat snake. No kidding.

M

I've been lucky enough to visit Hawaii and here is some things to do.

HAWAII

Surfing

north20shorewj3.jpg

Arizona Memorial (Pearl Harbor)

azmemorialdb9.jpg

USS Missouri

dsc00898ox3.jpg

Active Valcanos

fountainrd7.jpg

Worlds largest maze at the Dole Pineapple plantation

hdolemazeariellgaf7.jpg

luau

hula4some1yb2.jpg

And most important...The most beautiful golf in the world
maunakeahawaiilgsn5.jpg

You'll call me crazy for doing this... but I'm planning an 800km road trip to go to Chicago for the sole purpose of having Chicago style pizza. We'll also make a pit-stop in Detroit for some White Castle...

Does that count for this list?

For Pennsylvania, you might find some history in Philadelphia, like where the Declaration of Independance was signed, the Liberty Bell, etc. Independance Hall.

You'll call me crazy for doing this... but I'm planning an 800km road trip to go to Chicago for the sole purpose of having Chicago style pizza. We'll also make a pit-stop in Detroit for some White Castle...

Does that count for this list?

Really? [turns head to side] REALLY?

I can see the stopping for White Castle, that certainly is worth it, but for the Chicago-style pizza... Well, I'm not convinced it would be worth a trip. Its pretty much just really thick pizza with a lot of crap on it. I'm more of a New York style guy, even though I'm only three hours from Chicago.

...But hey, we crazy Michiganders (in GR) do the 3+ hour drive to Canada just to go drinking. Why? Who the hell knows... But now that we need a passport to get into Canada, I'm not sure if it will happen as frequently as it used to...

...But hey, we crazy Michiganders (in GR) do the 3+ hour drive to Canada just to go drinking. Why? Who the hell knows... But now that we need a passport to get into Canada, I'm not sure if it will happen as frequently as it used to...
I was researching that for the road trip. It seems that you guys still have another year of being allowed to show ID and a birth certificate before the passport requirement is mandatory. Personally, I can't risk it since I was born in Pakistan and my passport/citizenship cards are the only way to prove to the border people that I'm Canadian.

South Carolina:

Charleston- Fort Sumter (beginning of Civil War) , Historic Downtown
Darlington- Darlington Motor Speedway
Mt. Pleasant- Patriot's Point (USS Yorktown)
Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie

For Arizona, there's the Saint Xavier cathedral, the Bisbee ghost town, the world's largest sun dial (:lol:), etc. That's just off the top of my head.

There's also a very good TV show/magazine named Arizona Highways. Pretty much, it'll show you countless tourist attractions and other nifty things here in AZ. Granted, a good amount of it is overrated, but it's still worth a mention. :)

Native American Cultures. PNW Indians are not what you see in Westerns. Check them out.
Fascinating indeed. Our native tribes were much different than the well-known, nomadic, tepee-dwelling natives from the plains and midwest. PNW tribes built permanent homes and civilizations, and thrived on a marine-based economy and lifestyle. And since this part of the country was largely unexplored as recently as 150 years ago, much of the natives' history and art has been well-preserved and documented.
philly cheese
Olympics. No, not the competition but the isolated mountain chain rising west of the Sound and providing some great wilderness.
The Olympic Peninsula is grossly under-rated. It has to be one of the most naturally-beautiful places on this earth. And it's still largely unpopulated, making for some very pleasant, scenic driving as well :). The Hoh Rain Forest is there (pictures do not do it any justice), as well as the Pacific Ocean. And of course, the mountains are there; very picturesque. Evidence of the Olympic rainshadow is also a bizzare trip. The wettest city in the state (Forks, 120 inches of rain per year), is 60 miles from one of the driest. Sequim gets 8 or 9 inches of rain per year, and looks like a desert...sandwiched between the mountains and the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
philly cheese
Eastern Washington is pretty lacking.
The Columbia River and Gorge is worth a peek, as well as the transition between West and East. Literally 20 minutes after you go through Snoqualmie Pass on I-90, the trees, grass, and lakes disappear, and you're speeding across a flat, arid plain, wondering how it is that 4 million people live only an hour away.

New York
  • Empire State Building (NYC) - Done
  • Central Park (NYC) - Done
  • Niagara Falls (Buffalo)
  • Rockefeller Center (NYC)
  • On the same Building, get up to The Top Of the Rock
  • Ground Zero (NYC)
  • Times Square (NYC)
  • St. Patrick's Cathedral (NYC)
  • Little Italy or Canal Street (Where I live! :dopey:)
  • Madison Sq. Garden (NYC)

Done all of that (I stayed across the road from Ground Zero, in the Hilton) and I'm only 12

BTW, someone should make one of these for the UK, actually, I will

Ok, here's some good ol' Georgia attractions
-Blue Ridge mountains
-Lookout mountain (you can see North & South Carolina and Tennessee)
-Stone mountain (stonewall jackson, and other famous southerners)
does the Master's golf tournament count?
-Coca-cola museum in Atlanta
-Okefenokee swamp (I know you have "a swamp", but this is the name of it)
-Atlanta speedway
-The Rock House (old pioneer house, oldest rock building in Georgia...and i live half a mile from it :D)
-Tybee island
-Blackbeard Island

Hope that helps =)

What about Iowa? We have... ummm....

-Corn
-Cow Tipping
-The Knoxville Nationals (Sprint Cars)
-Corn

All I hear about is Iowa from my "girlfriend" and one of my professors, and I have to be honest when I say it sounds like a marginally boring place. I mean, the Knoxville Nationals sounds great (I plan on attending sometime...), and I guess there is always Hawkeyes football, but really...? I guess I could drive the combine!

No mention of Colonial Wiliamsburg for Virginia? It's a neat place to spend a day or two, friendly folks, you get to go back in time about 220 years, and the staff is actually quite helpful in an emergency.

The latter was a true test of the place, as we'd lost our keys 1000 miles from home. :dunce:

:guilty: No New Jersey?:guilty:

I've been here about 9 months now. And if I want to do something interesting, I drive over the river to NYC.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of nice restaurants, quaint towns and good shopping and stuff. But not many attractions, per se.

M

Texas...Here is some good times in San Antonio.

Sea World

picture018og3.jpg

Dinner with shamu cost extra but is well worth budgeting for.

picture014ai5.jpg

Feeding these animals IS permitted!

picture009vb6.jpg

The ZOO was better then expected.

dsc02310jy2.jpg

Getting your hotel right on the "riverwalk" is very cool. Plenty of stores and resturants is just a walk or boat ride away.

picture043ff4.jpg

picture100ce4.jpg

picture101ll8.jpg

Back