Thrustmaster "New Era" - gen 2 direct drive

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 33 comments
Finland
Finland
HI-tauer

Thrustmaster got as far as to this "manifest" they released last week, but what happened to the actual announcement? Did someone point out something from the manifest that made them go silent?

Last edited:

Thrustmaster got as far as to this "manifest" they released last week, but what happened to the actual announcement? Did someone point out something from the manifest that made them go silent?
The date of the wheelbase announcement / reveal is in the document. October 4th.

Last edited:
Isn't that the same tech that Cammus uses for their wheels?
No.

Cammus uses a traditional rotor/stator motor model, but instead of having the rotor-in-stator, it's stator-in-rotor; the fixed piece is in the centre, and the moving part is on the outside. It's also called an "outrunner" motor (as opposed to "inrunner" which is a normal motor).

I've never had a single issue with "cogging" on any of my DD bases. It will be interesting to see how it performs once some reputable reviewers try it out.
It's an extremely subtle effect (like, fingertip-light), and Thrustmaster's contention is that while there's wheel firmware to smooth it out that's to the detriment of overall wheel accuracy and slew rate.

Does Fanatec's FluxBarrier not already solve cogging others notice or have issues with by reducing spatial harmonics and reducing torque ripple? It's great to see more competition in the space.

Not long before you can buy possibly up to 4 more to power your sim rig to drive for some take out or "reverse tofu delivery"... so ready for the racing soft "steering" wheels..

Going off the instruction manual and other documentation at Thrustmaster:
  • The desk clamp appears to be the same one that the T818 uses (which is $50), and unlike the T818, appears to be included in the bundle.
  • Out of the box, it is fully compatible with the existing Thrustmaster pedals, shifters, and handbrakes, as well as the rims made for the T818.
  • Compatibility with earlier TM rims appears to be with the use of, depending on rim, the T818 quick release upgrade at $30 or quick release adapter at $35. Unfortunately, I would need the adapter for the T-GT rim, and that's currently sold out.
  • Specifically with respect to GT7, the screen will (at least at launch) show only a rev bar and a choice of gear, speed, or RPM, and the new HARMONY does not appear to use the same API as the old T-DFB. There is a switch on the TGT/TGT II meant for GTS/GT7 to use the T-DFB, and though there are two PlayStation modes on the T598, GT7 uses the same mode as every other PS4/PS5 title.

Last edited:
The price is crazy, the first DD in the console world at that threshold. Pc had Moza in that price range, bit for console it is a game changer (assuming quality is good, with Thrustmaster we can be optimistic).

If the wheel has a diameter of 30cm what's the diameter of the base?!
I thought the existing dd wheel bases were large, but this one looks xbox huge..

If the wheel has a diameter of 30cm what's the diameter of the base?!
I thought the existing dd wheel bases were large, but this one looks xbox huge..
The base is 212 mm wide (124.9 mm at the bottom)/213 mm tall/168.5 mm deep (to the end of the quick-release hub, the box itself is 119.3 mm deep). That is rather wider/taller, but less deep than the T818.

Last edited:
  • The desk clamp appears to be the same one that the T818 uses (which is $50), and unlike the T818, appears to be included in the bundle.
Can you mount it with bolts ?

As I'm reading more and more into wheels I find myself getting a little confused. Compared to the DD 5Nm from Fanatec, which is the better deal? Price looks better, but I'm a newb at understanding the technology.

Edit: will watch videos.

Last edited:
snc
Can you mount it with bolts ?
Yes. It's the same 4-bolt pattern as the T818 (63 mm wide x 79 mm deep, M6 screws), so if your rig will take the T818, it will take the T598.

• Out of the box, it is fully compatible with the existing Thrustmaster pedals, shifters, and handbrakes, as well as the rims made for the T818.
  • Compatibility with earlier TM rims appears to be with the use of, depending on rim, the T818 quick release upgrade at $30 or quick release adapter at $35. Unfortunately, I would need the adapter for the T-GT rim, and that's currently sold out.
  • Specifically with respect to GT7, the screen will (at least at launch) show only a rev bar and a choice of gear, speed, or RPM, and the new HARMONY does not appear to use the same API as the old T-DFB. There is a switch on the TGT/TGT II meant for GTS/GT7 to use the T-DFB, and though there are two PlayStation modes on the T598, GT7 uses the same mode as every other PS4/PS5 title.
Where did you find the manual?

Latest Posts

Back