Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 33,163 comments
Some of the tricky on/off throttle/brakes maneuvers I've used at RBR to get what I think is a pretty good time is a perfect example. There are two corners that I think I changed gear up and down twice to keep pointed and maintain speed. This car is so on edge and balanced at the very limit but requires dead accuracy. It's rewarding and super frustrating all at once. The difference in shift points by like 150 rpms is literally tenths in this TT.

Also. Turn off ASM and counter steer assist. No traction control. Whatever you prefer for braking whether it's default or weak or whatever. No assists. Flog this car like it asks to be.
I struggled through the chicane at Dragon Trail untill you told me 4th in, 3rd out. I switched my gearing and this made me much more consistent through that chicane.
With automatic transmission there is absolutely no way of using the gears to your advantage.

I often end up over revving 3rd gear in the Evo and the difference is very noticeable. Hitting those shift points perfectly is indeed very rewarding.

I love hotlapping road cars and this Evo really makes me smile. Handles like a dream and deserves to be driven and driven hard.

I rarely tune any of the cars in my garage as I use 99% of them stock. But this Evo is definitely getting some boost along with an exhaust upgrade and we have a date at the Nordschleife.

I struggled through the chicane at Dragon Trail untill you told me 4th in, 3rd out. I switched my gearing and this made me much more consistent through that chicane.
With automatic transmission there is absolutely no way of using the gears to your advantage.

I often end up over revving 3rd gear in the Evo and the difference is very noticeable. Hitting those shift points perfectly is indeed very rewarding.

I love hotlapping road cars and this Evo really makes me smile. Handles like a dream and deserves to be driven and driven hard.

I rarely tune any of the cars in my garage as I use 99% of them stock. But this Evo is definitely getting some boost along with an exhaust upgrade and we have a date at the Nordschleife.
I'm going to buy a second and build a hammer.

True. Real talk. I can only echo this sentiment once again.

No offense but doing laps after laps and spending a lot of time on the time trials but at the same time being unwilling to switch to manual doesn’t make that much sense (unless you has some kind of physical issue hindering you from doing it).

Going up a gear and down is as natural as some accelerator and brake input. Not if you’ve never done it before but give it a little time and it will feel just as natural to you. If you can put these hours into driving around, doing laps in search of whatever time you’re looking for, surely you can assist yourself in that quest by ditching automatic. By not doing it, you’re doing yourself a disservice.

Taking myself as an example, I was an okay driver before but when GT Sport came out in 2017 and I realised there’d be a lot of online racing where my skills needed to improve I simply took the decision to switch to manual and forced myself to learn how to use it. In order to stand a decent chance it was necessary. Now 71 golds, 27 top 100’s and a best TT position of 12th in the world. Had I not made that switch in 2017 this improvement would never have taken place.

Looking back now, I can’t possibly imagine throwing away all the control of the car (and in return, possibility of balance, speed, etc) that manual is giving me. Automatic is a hindrance.
I've tried manual (paddle shifters) before and always been slower.
Tried it again as I thought it might help in the Old Ford with 3 gears (plus reverse!).
And it didn't, I was over a second slower, and at RBR about 3 seconds slower.

For me, the car's electronics always know better than I when to change gears.
Of course there will be exceptions where a few tenths can be gained by overriding the electronics, but that's not really an issue for drivers at my end of the skill charts! 🤣

EDIT - just sneaked into silver at Grand Valley! Yaaay! :cheers:

Last edited:

Here is my next improved run. I'm getting the hang of this, I just have to keep my throttle up and not let up on the gas, it's key to getting a gold time. The only thing that's slowing me down is the T1-T4, I keep clocking the first sector around 0'29.250-0'29.685. So I'm being fairly consistent here. I like the feel of the Roadster though, this has been one of my favorite TT's yet from the game. This could possibly be my third gold, I'm not far away from it!

This morning was good!

First, a minor improvement of 16 thousands, but then it came BIG one, 1:47.253!

18e031f3c9a78-screenshotUrl.jpg

I think now gold is safe, but this combo is so good that I'll continue to drive it, maybe there is a chance sub 47...

This morning was good!

First, a minor improvement of 16 thousands, but then it came BIG one, 1:47.253!

View attachment 1333507

I think now gold is safe, but this combo is so good that I'll continue to drive it, maybe there is a chance sub 47...

Ohhh that's great and yes, your gold is safe now (it was also safe before this massive improvement^^) but I'm so sorry... why are you hurting yourself? :boggled::D

Congrats my friend!!

In ran a few hotlaps on the Bull ring again today, trying to get that red thing in the mirror a little smaller... 😂 @Barareklam

Finally into the 1:45.5xx after quite some laps!, so happy and wondering if I got @Ed_Night cause I knew he was in the .5xx..... well that was a dissapointment......😂😂 a.3xx?? Realy?? 😡😂😂 bravo, unstoppable...

No spot on the board today ( which also not going to happen btw 😂, but a few gained again in the top 100....(I was almost kicked out this morning)

But I must admit.........I need a new gearbox.....I saused it..... quilty as charged...😂

1000017766.jpg

1000017767.jpg

Man im fed up seeing @djolliea his rear end ....😂😂😂 nice colour tho 🤪
So this time a ghost follow replay

few faults in this lap so there is more time.....but sticking it all is once again quite difficult...🙈

The Grand Valley TT kept on giving, and amazingly, I was able to scrape yet another few hundredths off my time.

1709456812979.png

I almost have a bit of an imposter syndrome thing going on now, where I feel like I have no business being this high up on the board, but I'll take it anyway :D

The lap:

Nevertheless, this was almost certainly my final push here (well, if @GlockPants surpasses me I might reconsider ;)) and I will now join you guys at RBR.
Dunno if you or someone else could help me on switch from AT to MT.
I've even searched some tutorials videos on YT.... :D

I'll start to practice on easy tracks first and search for the best paddle configuration.
Great decision! Why not start with the Grand Valley TT?
  • It's a combination you love and excel at.
  • You know the track so well by now that you won't have to concentrate on your line so much
  • You only have to switch between 2nd and 3rd a couple of times per lap.

Don't get discouraged if you don't hit your best AT time just yet. Maybe aim for a sub 1:20 lap. You got this!

Last edited:
Great lap! Almost into the 45's 😁

If I may suggest 😁

View attachment 1333204

T4 brake a little later and enginebrake on 2nd gear, then asap on apex to 3th and exit in 3th

Then rev 4th out all the way to just before the 50 board on T6 hard on the brakes for some lift off rotation.

Easy 45's right there!
Thank you so much for the great advice! Adopted those in my lap and finally moved into 1:45's :)

IMG_8637.JPG

IMG_8638.JPG

The Grand Valley TT kept on giving, and amazingly, I was able to scrape yet another few hundredths off my time.

View attachment 1333529

I almost have a bit of an imposter syndrome thing going on now, where I feel like I have no business being this high up on the board, but I'll take it anyway :D

The lap:

Nevertheless, this was almost certainly my final push here (well, if @GlockPants surpasses me I might reconsider ;)) and I will now join you guys at RBR.

Great decision! Why not start with the Grand Valley TT?
  • It's a combination you love and excel at.
  • You know the track so well by know that you won't have to concentrate on your line so much
  • You only have to switch between 2nd and 3rd a couple of times per lap.

Don't get discouraged if you don't hit your best AT time just yet. Maybe aim for a sub 1:20 lap. You got this!

First, congrats for your great improvement with the Roadster!! (I should copy/paste this sentence to save tenths here too^^).

Then, Vielen Dank also for all your advices. I was also considering the Grand Valley TT for the exact same reasons you've mentionned. But I've decided for a very easy one (Blue Moon with a Gr. 4 car.) simply to learn how to handle the paddle.

In AT, I use the L2 (brakes) and R2 (throttle) buttons while my thumbs hold the controller in my hand.
If I release my right thumb to press X or square for upshift ot downshift, I do not hold the controller anymore and it's a mega panic :lol:
I've also tried to use R1 and L1 for upshift and downshift, it's worst... I know there are specific controllers adapted for MT but don't remember the name.

So for now, my main concern is not the score (breathe, you're still safe for a while...) but to find the most comfortable/convenient way to hold the controller to be able to up/down gears as naturally as possible. As soon I'll fix this issue, the next steps should be easier.

I'm aware in the fact that this learning curve isn't easy (mostly after decades of AT) but I know it worths the pain.

53563665387_8c223edb87_o.jpg

"I know I can do a 1:46, it's right there!"

2 hours later

"I guess not"

I just couldn't get that perfect lap together. When you're up on your best time, you start to push harder because you don't want to lose time. You can't afford to be conservative or you'll end up throwing a good lap away. However you can also throw a good lap away by pushing too hard... I tried everything I could but I always came up short because I'd make a small mistake or the send the car into a corner too fast. The margins are very fine when you're pushing the limits. For example, getting on the throttle a few milliseconds later can give you a whole stack of time, but if you get on it TOO late, you'll get a heap of understeer and LOSE a stack of time. It's a slippery slope and my paws don't like it.

I thought to share something if someone can find it useful, for Mitsubishi lancer Evo on RBR. Try not to throw car too much into corner, too much rotation will slow down car.

Another thing, turned on CS to strong, didn't really helped me to get better lap time, kinda don't count 0.005 as some improvements 😁 but it did helped to keep car steady, example last left corner in sector 2, which gave me few more valid laps 😊
1000019656.jpg
1000019657.png

I've also tried to use R1 and L1 for upshift and downshift, it's worst... I know there are specific controllers adapted for MT but don't remember the name.
The DualSense Edge perhaps? I have no experience with it, and it's certainly not cheap, but it does feature back buttons.

@sodazman Nice! Also waiting anxiously for my IRL car to be used in a TT.
1709464285105.png

Last edited:

So for now, my main concern is not the score (breathe, you're still safe for a while...) but to find the most comfortable/convenient way to hold the controller to be able to up/down gears as naturally as possible. As soon I'll fix this issue, the next steps should be easier.
Quick question....which finger do you use for the L2/R2 when driving in auto?

Index on trigggers for brakes and throttle, Square button for downshift, triangle for upshift. You aren't going to be faster immediately. It might take a few days to start getting it. But you will get it...I ain't fast, but I know I'm faster than I would be using AT.

(well, technically I use my wheel rig for the TTs and for all my "serious" driving in the game now. But I do still use the controller when I'm grinding/doing chores lol)

Last edited:
Sunday morning session, 60 minutes or less of track time and I clocked a 47.3 and a 47.2 with the Evo IX. I just can't explain why me driving that car feels ao right.

18e049bd02926-0e321DC53D8D226824E.5AF533D2220C5786_message_437625405546683_1709474240416.jpg

Before that I had a 47.0 lap deleted and the data showed me an optimal 46.9 (!!!!!)
18e049c026393-0e321DC53D8D226824E.5AF533D2220C5786_message_437625410419166_1709474259449.jpg

Today was one of those days when playing GT7 feels very good.

*Both laps 47.3 and 47.2 shared.

Index on trigggers for brakes and throttle, Square button for downshift, triangle for upshift. You aren't going to be faster immediately. It might take a few days to start getting it. But you will get it...I ain't fast, but I know I'm faster than I would be using AT.
I know you're right but it seems so "unnatural", so disturbing for me :( But as there are many of you playing this way, I should be able to do it too.

Playing few days / weeks with lower scores is not an issue as I consider it as a part of the learning curve and I'm ok with it.

Here is your problem. Try to get used to using the midde finger first for L2/R2 while in AT. Do it for a day or 2 to get your brain to rewire....then enable MT and use index finger to change gear with L1/R1. One step at a time :)
Sounds a logic and smart move, thanks Mr Muffin :)
I'll try and let you know how it goes.

I use the Edge with the back paddles for MT. Was always a AT driver before buying it.
Same here. I've mentioned before, it is overpriced but I would never have switched to MT if I had to use buttons or some unusual configuration. Another advantage to the Edge - mine showed stick drift; but it is just a $20 module to replace the sticks instead of the buying a whole new controller.

Same here. I've mentioned before, it is overpriced but I would never have switched to MT if I had to use buttons or some unusual configuration. Another advantage to the Edge - mine showed stick drift; but it is just a $20 module to replace the sticks instead of the buying a whole new controller.
I've already bought 2 controllers for stick drift reasons... and your point is one of the best argument to me.

I know you're right but it seems so "unnatural", so disturbing for me :( But as there are many of you playing this way, I should be able to do it too.

Playing few days / weeks with lower scores is not an issue as I consider it as a part of the learning curve and I'm ok with it.
even aside from the speed aspect, once you get accustomed to it it's just another element of communication between you and the game/car. The added immersiveness alone makes it worth the effort. And absolutely 100% you can do it too. There's nothing at all remarkable about my gaming abilities! lol...

Last edited:
Back