Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 27,974 comments
Managed to improve my racing line and carry more speed through T1 and finally (sort of) figured out the entry to T2. Changed wheels to 17" with wide offset. Not sure if this did anything, although the car felt slightly more stable.
View attachment 1369587

Had a look last night and the lap looks pretty solid to me. On a few occasions you could carry more momentum through the corners by using a slightly different line. I know you've improved your PB since the video, so apply any advice where it's still relevant. Generally going wider on entry and gradually increasing steering angle should give you a smoother line and less need for braking. The car's brakes are also better than one might assume, being softer on and off the brakes does a lot in terms of momentum and corner stability.

T1 Braking point seems ok, but go wider and ease off the brake earlier while gradually increasing steering angle, rotate before the apex and try to avoid sliding.
View attachment 1369582

T2 You can carry more momentum by going a slightly wider line and hitting two separate apexes (on the inside are 2 kerbs that can be used as reference) instead of trying to go around the curve in one swoop. My mistake, only 1 kerb here and keeping it tight along the inside works too. I'm usually faster using double apex, but regardless of how you follow through, exiting the long right further on the right side will set you up for the next left turn in a better position …View attachment 1369583
… where you can now accelerate sooner.View attachment 1369584

Wider entry and smoother turn in lets you brake less and carry more speed here as well. Also, applying less braking pressure keeps the car more planted, reducing sliding at the apex (this applies to all downhill sections, as gravity pulls the weight towards the front of the car – hard braking unsettles the car more than on flat or uphill sections).View attachment 1369585

I enjoy analysing my own and other people's driving. Great way to learn and improve. Please take these tips with a grain of salt though, as there's definetely faster drivers out here :)

Great service from Titans for Titans 👍🏻
200.gif

The Spa track is killing me hard!! I have run a total of 310 laps. I still have not given up yet. I m watching PureGameplay Motorsport's replay on Youtube, he uses a different camera angle that I never thought of using, I'm gonna try it out.

Last edited:
Next sunday, there's a very important online event and we'd like to invite you to participate (it's free, fun, and very addictive):

1720007972342.png

The Spa track is killing me hard!! I have run a total of 310 laps. I still have not given up yet. I m watching PureGameplay Motorsport's replay on Youtube, he uses a different camera angle that I never thought of using, I'm gonna try it out.
I can almost garauntee you that switching cameras isn't the answer. I'd also bet that the angle shown in the replay you're referring to isn't the one the guy actually used to drive the lap...

Thanks to PureGameplay Motorsport's replay I was able to get a slight improvement, take a look at the action.

I did not use MT this time, I have to focus my attention on the track, not worry about shifting gears up and down. I'm gonna keep pushing. I changed the units also as you can see. km

I wish I could have executed that last chicane better before the finish, I could have gotten a high 2'22.000 time. I guess the TCS is hurting my exit speeds through every corner and turn. Well I'm gonna have to stop, I think I've done enough here. Hopefully this time will hold and I'll get a silver medal, this will be my 20th earned one.

Last edited:
Well, it must be quiet and inactive, well I'm going to bed. I have a long trip ahead of me, me and my mom are going to SC for 2-3 days, we will return home Saturday morning-afternoon depending on the traffic/weather. I'll take my smartphone so I can check in Friday with you all and see how everyone is progressing with the TT's. I wonder where the next one will take place tomorrow? Well I ran a total of 333 laps at Spa and my PB was 2'23.039 thanks to the NSX GT500. And by watching a Youtube guide.

Well I hope you all have a good, safe weekend. I'm off to bed. I've been spending a fortune off Pizza Hut. I get pizza, chicken wings, breadsticks and other delicious things to motivate me to get better lap times, apparently my method worked. So what are you all planning to do this weekend in terms of hot lapping and other things?

Well I've got a lot to do to get ready to go, so bye!!

I need to start lowering my TCS for harder TT's.

Guys, I want to share a simple and cheap hardware addition to controller that can help a bit. Trigger extenders. I bought two pack for 10€
One stick them to trigger buttons and they are longer than original ones and hence give longer travel path which translated in real example means current TT on Road Atlanta can be sightly easier. X2019 is so powerful that we need very good throttle control exiting turns and these trigger extenders help to have more and better turn exists. I wish I could put in numbers"you will gain a second" but unfortunately I can't. I can however recommend them to try, they are just attached with double sided tape, and if you don't like them, easy to remove. If someone gets and try them, please share your experience.

View attachment 1369572
I had smaller set of these on mine but they slide off after just under 2 months.

I have been tempted to get a longer set like yours, for that same reason of better control over feathering throttle and trail breaking, but don't want them to peal off again.

How long have you had yours?

I felt a little bit uncomfortable with so many guys around here beeing right on my rear. 😱

So had another run to gain a few meters and 10 places at the leaderboard. 😋

View attachment 1369645

A 58,7 is possible, but getting these last two corners perfectly is 🤬 hard. 🥲
Ooh come oonn.... 😂😂 every time I'm getting close to you, you drive away 😂😂

But it's not the time that bothers me the most.....it's the Prius 😂😂😂

Epic Ed!

Last edited:
I had smaller set of these on mine but they slide off after just under 2 months.

I have been tempted to get a longer set like yours, for that same reason of better control over feathering throttle and trail breaking, but don't want them to peal off again.

How long have you had yours?
I would say half a year before tape on R2 (gas) released, then I was using controller without it and now we got x2019 which is really fast powerful car and for those cars I find it beneficial with trigger extenders keep acceleraton on 75% or any other level of "gas", so I bought new double sided tape, extra powerful so I taped it yesterday again, then improved my time so I thought to share and help someone else who find it useful/tempting.

Today I bought a second hand PSVR2 😎

So I had to try on the TT that finishes tomorrow.

Not practiced since june 27th so... a bit rusted.

Plus you see barely the road from inside the Citroën GT Gr.3 😅

Lap times were quite bad, but overall in 5 laps I was feeling quite ok, only Eau-Rouge was messing with my brain in terms of motion.
1907a6740876-screenshotUrl.jpg

Did 5 more laps as I used to on a flat screen until now, was a bit far from my best lap (2:21.409) but that was much better than in VR 😅

1907a66ffa082-screenshotUrl.jpg

Went a bit too close to a bollard I usually don't touch at Bruxelles, which invalidated my last lap that was going to be the best.
1907a66be2590-screenshotUrl.jpg

May be I'll do more laps tomorrow just before the end. To try to improve my silver time.

Last edited:
After watching the highlights of the 24h at Spa last weekend I had to return for a final attempt to get below 02:20:00. The newer NSX is my go-to-car and I even tried the one with the Acura livery to trick myself but I couldn't reach a new PB.

So before throwing the towel I decided to go with the Audi. I tested it before and saw the potential but simply don't like it. But after maybe 10 laps I found my peace of mind. 1907a5f5c2321-screenshotUrl.jpg

At the RBR this time I took my own bimmer with a beautiful Alpina livery and the ghost of @Pesselles to get into silver zone. This was quickly done and maybe my last visit there. I don't really understand how to be quick there despite having watched some videos and laps.

If tomorrow brings nothing appealing I might even try to reach the spiced up bronze at Road Atlanta for the credits. Good night and sweet dreams now!

Hah. Been reading some of the posts I missed while I was away and just saw this one and that we apparently chose the exact same livery. Been appreciating your sense of nice visuals in your photos/videos and clearly we're on the same page as far as that goes. ;)

Thanks for the really kind words! Awesome laps from you and do enjoy your holiday!

————————————-

Haven’t got a chance to go through the posts that I missed - all 10 pages of them! Did had a chance to try out the 2 new TTs on Sunday evening before I headed off for a track day (My first ever - was great fun and I would recommend everyone to give it a go).

I didn’t even know the RedBull Ring short track is in game, but it really suits the M3 and allows lots of different approaches for each corner. Key thing is to maintain the momentum and use 3rd gear for better corner exits. Again, depending on what the next TT will be, may come back to try my luck for a sub 59 second time (Now at 59.201).

Then comes the RedBull X2019 on Road Atlanta. I am never a fan of the X2019 mainly due to the fact that I can’t really handle high downforce cars that well in GT7. While I love the track, I really struggled to make Gold time until the final moment of the session - probably need another 2/10th to be safe so please let me know where I improve further.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, I think you will benefit a lot more from watching these guide videos for the time trials. They are much more informative and include laps for both wheel and pad users. 👍

Also, I think this is the best view for time trials, because you have a much better view of the track and each end of the rev lights (where I've put the arrows) is basically the reference point for the front wheels and width of the car, so you can place the car more accurately on the apexes and track limits. 👍👍

Screenshot_20240703_225308_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Did a late night Spa session (not the kind where you put cucumber over your eyes) and finally snuck into gold with 2:20.349. Its not a big margin, but fingers crossed it might hold.

To really highlight what a grand achievment this was: I did not even paint the car orange, my R8 was more grey than Sweden in november. So obviously there was a couple of tenths more to gain 😂

Day 4 at Spa.
TT-SpaGr3-almost3.jpg

Some improvement, but no satisfaction as day 3 was lost on trying other cars that didn't suit me while I should concentrate on perfecting drive with the Honda.
Well, low 19s were possible as I didn't nail last sector as I should have, but time is running out and you have to know when to say stop. Firmly into top 10,000, but out of LB top50 so no cigar.

Congrats to @Jeje6410, @Gogga and @MUC76 for great results here. I will not mention devilish muffin as he's playing the OTHER league (as always).

See ya on the Blue Moon Bay!

Too many posts to catch up so I did any responsible adult would've done....I skipped them all 🙈

Anyways.....finally decided to put in a longish session tonight and came out pretty happy with the result.

Man, this track took a long @55 time to click for me. For the first hr I could barely brake into the 59.3s then something clicked and I was able to get into the .2s and .1s. Eventually got a decent lap hooked up 😂

1000074305.jpg

Annoyingly, the first sector was just decent. After that I had been putting mid to low 25.5s for 1st sector but 2nd sector were all craps.

Then this happened 🙈
1000074304.jpg

I licked the track limit at the exit of the last turn and invalidated the lap 😭

After that I just lost all my concentration and called it a day. This would've been my last attempt to the TT as I'm going away for a week on Friday.

Last edited:
At the 11th hour I've pulled out a sub 18 lap to put me 315th. Definitely one of my better time trial laps!

Still maybe a tenth or so that I could find as I had a bit of oversteer on the exit of Les Combes which compromised my line through Malmedy and also had another slight oversteer moment on the exit of the bus stop chicane.

Those small errors were made up by absolutely nailing Pouhon, Les Fagnes and Stavelot (where I was about 1mm away from clipping the inside bollard).

Felt really good to finally put in a good lap around here after struggling to get a rhythm. Took me 90km of driving last night to get there, most of which was not looking like an improvement was likely. Right at the end of the session I started braking earlier into No Name corner to try and improve the exit, which had previously been my weakest corner. Also noticed that I wasn't trail braking as much as the leaders. Once I figured that out, the lap times started tumbling.

I stopped once I achieved a 2:18.020, but decided to go for one final lap to see if there was more time to be found. Didn't expect to find the 0.17 that I did though.
1907b6d7c9c28-5860CCEE9BB8289971F.63A216EF17404752_message_440322722292803_1720010633956.jpg

Didn't give any more attempts to the other trials as I was exhausted from putting the laps in around Spa. Next on the chopping block will be to find some remaining time in the M3. :gtpflag:

Back